Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Favorite "icky" foods
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Favorite "icky" foods Reply with quote

My sister and I were reminiscing about food that we ate in childhood and that we still enjoyed from time to time. One of our mutual favorites is a truly odd combination that to us seems perfectly normal and tasty, but when described to anyone else, it predictably draws an "ick": macaroni, flaked (canned) tuna and the secret ingredient: ketchup.

Now objectively, I know these three foods in close proximity make no sense. If I hadn't grown up eating and liking it, I probably would make an ick face myself. But I can't help it: it's one of those comfort foods that makes sense only for my siblings and me.

So I was wondering if others had foods like my beloved tuna macroni ketchup - foods that you ate as a kid or somehow invented yourself, that you accept as being perfectly normal and tasty, but which no one else could possibly appreciate?
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pockymonkey- My daughter puts ketchup on mashed potatoes and stirs them up until they're all pink. ...and she's 22 not 6! It always makes me go "ick" — even while I understand that if those potatoes were French fries or homefries I'd be the first one reaching for the ketchup. Shocked Go figure...
DrMell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love tuna noodle casserole, made with condensed cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, canned tuna, some frozen peas, topped off with some crushed potato chips. It has a big "ick" factor for lots of people, especially my mom; I think it reminds her of hard times, and apparently we ate a LOT of it when I was a child because it was inexpensive.
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband's family has a tuna-ick-casserole recipe that is worse! Tuna, rice, TOMATO soup and canned french cut green beans! oh-so 1970's americana ! I made it for him once when he was ill, but couldn't stand even the smell.

My family on the other hand would adulterate ground beef in so many unbelievable ways. The one that I think would no longer even hold a comfort factor would be "chow mein" out of a can - ick!
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's ick recipes - though oddly, I haven't felt moved to try any out Very Happy

On the subject of ick, one of my favorite funny food-related sites is the Gallery of Regrettable Food, at www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/spec.html. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Clothilde's yummy recipes and beautifully photographed food - but at least it's good for a laugh. Bluedog, maybe that tuna casserole recipe is in there somewhere!
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pockeymonkey!!! What an hilarious site! Thanks--especially love the commentary on the Knudsen dairy recipes!

My dear mother made a few "ick" recipes when I was young and we were struggling---but the meatloaf laced with whole dill pickles down the middle takes the cake I fear!
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old bachelorette days, my roomate and I used to eat sardines on a saltine craker spead thickly with mayonnaise. Talk about greasy!
Becca615

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: No one believes me when I say these are good Reply with quote

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches

This is not the deep fried Elvis kind with bannanas. It's simply bread, peanut butter, and bacon. The bacon must be crisp, and the bread must be toasted. I prefer chunky peanut butter, but smooth is just fine.

The combination of salty and sweet, soft and crisp makes for a really good sandwich.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not icky, but when I was in college, my favorite snack combination in the hot summer was peanut buter, mashed bananas, and cottage cheese.

I'd put everything in a large bowl, and mash and mix it until it was a brown paste. Then I'd put it in the freezer and get it very cold (like ice cream) before eating.
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut butter and bacon, I ADORE peanut butter and bacon.
Feste

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom got me hooked on potato chips and cottage cheese. It's best with sour cream-and-onion flavored chips. Also (and this is really gross), an old roommate had a thing for pretzels with squeeze cheeze! Of course, I actually liked it, so serves my food snobbery right...
DrMell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh! Victoria's post reminded me of an old favorite: Braunschweiger (sp?) on a cracker with a glob of mayo and a sweet gherkin.

When we were kids, my little brother used to make peanut butter, sugar, and syrup sandwiches. I thought it was icky even then. I wonder if he still does that?
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread seaching for another topic, and sometimes I really wonder where people come up with these things. Not that I am above Nacho Doritos used as a scoop for tuna salad. What?! We ran out of pretzels, and the chips were available. Rolling Eyes
swan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about macaroni with caramel sauce from a bottle?! YUK! My sisters favorite when she was about four years old....
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feste wrote:
My mom got me hooked on potato chips and cottage cheese. .

This is even stranger than my old college preference for cottage-cheese, with peanut butter and bananas -- all mashed up and refrigerated until it is nice and cold like an ice cream.

Too bad the idea is loaded with calories to be practical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: