Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

When in Rome...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewYorkDely

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: When in Rome... Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to Rome at the end of September and I'm looking for food suggestions. In past trips, my best meals have been from the Salumeria, but I'm looking to go to a nice restaurant this time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

NewYorkDely
David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NewYorkDely, wish I could help but we too are going to be spending a few days in Rome, adrift, with no knowledge. So I wonder if you could tell us about Salumeria? Please!?
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be there in October and one restaurant we really like is the Piccolo Arancia --here is the address:
Hosteria Piccolo Arancia
Vicolo Scanderberg 112 (behind the Trevi fountain)
Phone: 06.678.6139
Closed on Mondays

They do a great deal of their menu using oranges as the main flavoring, very delicious! It's on a tiny side street near the Trevi fountain. A bit hard to find but worth it!
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another useful link is the Food Maven's site--here is his restaurant review link:
http://www.thefoodmaven.com/guide/index.html
NewYorkDely

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I will put them on my to-do list.
NewYorkDely

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Salumeria Reply with quote

David wrote:
Hey NewYorkDely, wish I could help but we too are going to be spending a few days in Rome, adrift, with no knowledge. So I wonder if you could tell us about Salumeria? Please!?

Hmm...I couldn't give you and specific suggestions, as we usually just stop in to whatever store looks good near where we are touring. Sorry!
Deste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Good sites for the information you seek Reply with quote

A salumeria is a type of food store, like a charcuterie or deli. One of most famous in Rome is Volpetti's on Via Marmorata 47.*

Do a google search for the forum site of egullet.org. One of the forums is devoted to Europe, with subcategory on Italy. There you'll find several years worth of advice on restaurants throughout Italy, including Rome and on Rome proper. Here's the index where you'll see two topics on Rome:http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=2d26d65826557be84b53600fa9d6af26&showforum=39&prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all&st=30

[I can't figure out how to convert text above into a direct link. Help?]

Since Gourmet Magazine published an issue on Rome in March 2003 [* source of the address provided above--the whole issue's terrific], epicurious.com would probably have some information. The food writer Jonathan Gold swears by the tratteria Al Moro at Vicolo delle Bollette 13.

Also Clothilde includes Il Forno as a link. Its author has a thing for Sicily, especially, but there will probably be something useful there.

Finally, egullet will give you different advice, but David Downie, the author of "Cooking the Roman Way" has a recipe for spaghetti carbonara, which is made as penne carbonara there. He swears by the Tratteria La Carbonara on Campo de' Fiori, one of the two places that have the strongest claims on originating this great Roman dish.

Make sure you have artichokes and gelato (I love Giolotti) while in Rome, too. Give us a report![/url]
saltshaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I've been to Rome, but here's a link to an article I wrote on a previous trip that includes a dining section. Hopefully most of the places are still around!

http://www.danperlman.net/qsf9901.htm
Deste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltshaker: Are you by any chance a Pablo Neruda fan? (If so, I think I know the source of your nomenclature.)
saltshaker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'm not. And I wasn't familiar with the poem until I just went and looked it up! I like it. Thanks for the lead to it.

No, the name is from my blog, called SaltShaker, subtitled "Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life"

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: