Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Magazines for foodies!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lshannon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: "Delicious" is just that Reply with quote

I have to concur with the poster talking about the new aussie magazine Delicious. It is gorgeous and has great recipe ideas. The seaonal swap... I am in the july=summer half of the planet- sometimes takes getting used to. But I plan to buy them now and refer back when my seasons change... so I get to enjoy them once for just browsing and in 6 mons or so put them into practice at home and in our restaurant.

*Lauren
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy these food magazines:
Cooking Light
Vegetarian Times
Food and Wine
Eating Well
Gourmet
Donna Hay
Super Food Ideas
Delicious

And I like the food articles in these magazines:
The Australian Women's Weekly
Martha Stewart Living
Altaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: SAVEUR Reply with quote

Hi,
any one got saveur magazine isuee #70 november 2003. Please send me a copy of the recipes of sour cream date cake and date pie.

Thanks, Embarassed
Madeleine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EatingWell is definitely a favorite, I was quite happy to see their new cookbook up for the James Beard. I also like Cooking Light but find some of their ingredients horrendous (fat-free cream cheese?!). I've liked the last few issues of Food & Wine as well.
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't subscribe to any magazines but I will often pick up Cooking Light if there is something on the cover that appeals to me. I do the same with most magazines but I have found that I make very few recipes from magazines.

Our liquor in Ontario is only sold at government stores called the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) and they put out a free magazine called Food and Drink 5 or 6 times a year that is outstanding: beautiful photography and great recipes. I always make sure I get the latest copy (a good excuse to go & buy a bottle of wine). http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/recipes.shtml
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saveur is my favorite.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any of the other magazines mentioned but I love Cuisine magazine which Valerie mentioned - fantastic photography, writing, everything. If you're interested in checking out their online presence here is the link http://www.cuisine.co.nz/ - it's not as good as having a tactile magazine to savour, but it isn't bad for tracking down half remembered recipes.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest issue has a wonderful article on Nimes.
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can persuade Madame to share her pashka recipe with us? Smile
Lakritz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, creampuff! I love OLIVE, too. In fact, inspired yesterday by the cookery book thread, I looked it up on the net, found that I could save 25% on the subscription, and will be receiving it as of October.

(Normally, I don't subscribe, I buy magazines as treats, or when the front page/features inspire/s me)

OLIVE is upmarket ( & expensive), has unusual, exquisite recipes (especially for entertaining), beautiful photography and sections on eating out and travel; I find it inspirational all round!

I do agree with portdevoix - my basic needs are well covered by the net (the: Now that I've got the rainbow trout, what am I going to do with it? situation) -- it's so much easier to just put in your query (and hey presto, a multitude of recipes turns up) than to get all the cookery books down.

On the other hand, there is simply a different kind of pleasure involved in handling a book and/or magazine, way beyond the 'how to' question. Many small party ideas have come about inspired by magazines in particular -- as you're more likely to look at those with another foodie friend...
Shanti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently subscribe to:

Cooks Illustrated (we jokingly call it "Cooking for Engineers" in our household Wink ) Love all the tips and I have never had a recipe fail when following their directions.

Cooking Light I enjoy the variety they offer.

Eating Well A lovely magazine about health and food! I'm really glad they went bimonthly.

I used to subscribe to Everyday Food, but I found between the internet and the other three subscriptions that I was quite satisfied with what I had. I'm never lacking for ideas or inspiration!
Jennifer Iannolo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Very Happy

This is my first post here, but I've been following C&Z for some time now. Nicely done, Clotilde -- you always bring back fond memories of my time in Paris.

I've recently discovered Donna Hay, and am enamored with her photography -- the magazine is more like a beautiful coffee table book. IMO, Saveur is one of the few high-quality print magazines left in the U.S., and I enjoy their gastronomic perspective tremendously -- they have avoided the celebrity chef syndrome, and really focus on the food itself. Love that. Very Happy

Since much of the world is turning to the web for their news and information, it will be interesting to see what happens with the printed food magazine. (I decided to launch my mag on the web first, so we'll see where it goes.) While I like the idea of global access, such as that which exists with food blogs and e-zines, there is something very special about curling up in a chair with a gorgeous set of pages.
Celebrate the sensual pleasures of food(tm)
jenjen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Gourmet Magazines Reply with quote

I used to be a great fan of Gourmet Veg - sadly no longer in production.

I was a subscriber to Gourmet Traveller when Cathy Snowball was editor. Each recipe was tested and it had lots of things I liked to make, but recently I have been checking it on line and only buying if there were compelling recipes (like this month)

The link is www.gourmettraveller.com.au

I am not a fan of Delicious - it is a bit too basic for me and I look for recipes that are Rolling Eyes more difficult to make.

For fun I look on the www.smh.com.au gourmet pages, They have Steve Manfredi video clips which are fun to watch!
Saudades

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my house is full of cookery mags/books. i should really get some shelving units for them Embarassed i read them like novels! i study the photography, the styling, and the recipes [thinking of ways to adapt to my own taste]. bottom line: the stunning photography. if i must name one it'll have to be Petrina Tinsley. actually i do have a few cookery books that have not one photo but i like the recipes so much i don't mind the lack of illustration.

if it's in English, only UK and Oz mags for me for nothing else is good enough: the humour, the recipes [i never follow them. only use them as an inspiration.], and mostly for the absolutely stunning photography. love both versions of Delicious. however i prefer the Aussie version for all of the reasons mentioned. unfortunately i can only get them when passing through KUL [Kuala Lumpur international airport Smile]. should really look into how to subcribe from here, NL.

non English: most of the French mags. the selection is great! fabulous photography -the most important criteria in a cookery mag to my mind-, good recipes, reasonable price. the German stuff is almost equally as good but i still prefer French.

just got my very first Chinese mag, i think called 'food & wine' on my recent China trip. can't read any Chinese script but the photography is pretty good. i think this mag is for the wealthy Chinese only, and/or foreign borned Chinese now living/working in China who can read Chinese/afford/enjoy this lifestyle.
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about not subscribing anymore. The internet has every recipe know and then some, so it's usually my first source (Rainey is my second source Laughing). That said, I do enjoy a thumb-through of the cooking mags at Barnes and Noble occasionally because sometimes you don't know, but there might be a recipe out there that would change your life! Laughing I also look for French cooking mags, but there are only a few places in the Bay area to find them, and it's not always convenient.

I pick up Saveur every so often and that was the source for much of our planning for the trip to Ireland. We spent 3 days in the Cork-Kinsale area and hit the Market Hall for the artisanal smoked salmon & cheese made with seaweed, ate at Myrtle Allen's Ballymaloe House in Shandgerry and Boqueria in Cork based on articles in the March 2006 edition. And what a culinary treat those days were! Laughing

For some reason we received a subscription to Cook's Illustrated last year - neither my husband nor I recall subscribing. I liked parts of it, enjoyed the art, tried some of the recipes, appreciated that they tested 7 different recipes for each thing and published the best one. But overall, it just didn't ring my bell, so when they sent a bill to renew, we declined.

Years ago I subscribed to Cuisine and I still have copies of that in the cupboard. I don't think we could celebrate Thanksgiving without the October 1983 issue. (Well, maybe I know most of the recipes by heart by now...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: