Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tips for Frankfurt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Tips for Frankfurt? Reply with quote

I'll be traveling to Frankfurt in September and would love suggestions of places to eat while I'm there. I'm not so keen on traditional, heavy German cuisine, so if someone knows the city and could recommend some places worth checking out, this traveler would be very, very appreciative.

Also, any must-see sights, or atmospheric neighborhoods? I'm not anticipating a lot of free time since I'm going there for a conference, but I would love to poke around a bit if I can. Unfortunately, all I associate with Frankfurt is banking, and that doesn't get me terribly excited as a first-time visitor.
Mishka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll be able to offer any suggestions at all since the only place I've been to in Frankfurt was the airport enroute to the Hague. Nonetheless, it'll be interesting to see what Frankfurt has to offer gastronomically. Keep us posted and have a good trip!
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a veteran of Frankfort airport too, Mischka, more times than I care to remember! This upcoming trip will be the first time I actually leave the terminal and see a bit of the city.

Even though my instinct is that Frankfurt is not much of a culinary wonderland, I would think there might be some worthy Turkish/Middle Eastern restaurants in the city that could rescue me from overdosing on fatty meats and underspiced meals Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pockymonkey,
I know nothing about Germany but I wanted to say I love your name! Pocky is my favorite treat and what beats monkeys!

"It's hot ham water."
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for Frankfurt? Reply with quote

Pockymonkey wrote:
Frankfurt in September

I don't know Frankfurt very well, but there's a place I always wanted to visit, that's a restaurant called "gargantua": http://www.gargantua.de/
Never made it though, at least until now, but I'm sure, one day ... It's closed on sundays and other public holidays, and I've heard the house is a bit tricky to get to (at least by car because of several one way streets, although it's in central Frankfurt), but it's said, that the food is definitely worth a visit -- and not to forget, the owner writes very, very nice stories (in german) with lots of mouthwatering recipes, which you can find on the website, too.
Ah, and the big market hall is worth a stroll, too. There you can also try a local speciality, called "Rindswürstchen", that means hot sausages made of beef.
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found out, if you click at "Auskünfte aus Küche und Leben" (information about kitchen and life, at the gargantua-website) there are some more lines about Frankfurt + food. Do you speak german?
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke schöen Birgit! Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut – Ich habe viel seit meinem Ausbildungsende vergessen. Hoffentlich, Ich werde daran denken (um ein Menü zu lesen...)
birgit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pockymonkey, don't worry, that sounds perfect. Very Happy And have lots of fun in Frankfurt!
kohuether

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have extra time I would visit the Mosel and/or the Rhein. I didn't much like Frankfurt- I found the people to be cold and unfriendly. (I lived near Munich). But on the Rhein there is this cute little town call Beilstein. September is a great time of year for that area because there are all these wine festivals...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: