Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

c 'n z readers in Sydney
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were certainly many immigrants after the war.
Where I live in Geelong there were many Dutch people. This resulted in lots of bulb growing in the area but I cannot recall ever seeing a dutch restaurant. There were very few restaurants at all.
In Melbourne the Greeks and Italians were very obvious groups, leading to great food changes to the usual "english" centered meat and 2 veg style meals.
Melbourne has the second biggest Greek population of any city in the world after Athens!
More Italian went to Sydney.
There were already large populations of Chinese immigrants who came to Australia during the gold rushes of the 1850's. They opened restaurants all over the countryside, and it is almost a standing joke that the only restaurant in many small country towns is chinese, including in the pubs!
More recently Thai, Vietnamese and many other South East Asian people have all added their own special flavours.
We are indeed very lucky to have all this choice and all these influences on our "Aussie Cuisine"
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love food history! It is very interesting to see how the old world has influenced the new world.

"It's hot ham water."
jenjen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: fusion cooking Reply with quote

Erin,
Fusion cooking is very big in Australia these days and we even include some of the aboriginal herbs and spices in our cooking!

Australian food is very interesting because it is a unique mix of european and asian and it is certainly getting a lot of traction round the world.

Some of our high profile chefs are running restaurants in other countries, like Hong Kong - and these lucky restaurant diners are also reaping the benefit of our rich heritage.

I hope sometime you will have the opportunity of coming here to experience our food and hospitality - now there's a thought - maybe a C&Z foodies tour of Australia. Rolling Eyes

I am sure there would be many willing hosts Cool Laughing Cool Surprised Very Happy
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenjen,
Although it is a way off still, my husband and I are planning to travel to Austrailia and New Zeland in the next few years.
The fusion cusine sounds very similar to the style of many chefs in Seattle, where it is a blend of French and Asian with our own ingredients native to our region. It is a wonderful combination that is always fresh and exciting. The over use of ginger is an all too common offence though.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin Darling...and Mr Erin Wink ~ our door is open!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And our door in Adelaide - home of some of the best restaurants and wineries in Oz - is always open too!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be visiting as soon as we move back west, it is much cheaper that way. It will be so wonderful to meet you guys!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: