Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Lisbon in September

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Lisbon in September Reply with quote

I am headed to Lisbon for a business trip Sept 27, and I have never been to Portugal. I will have a little free time (very little). Any recommendations for restaurants, markets or must see attractions?
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bluedog - I'd love to be able to help but 4 hours after arriving in Portugal on holiday I was admitted to hospital and required major surgery. Followed by a week in a hotel before I was given a clearance to fly home. In that week I lived on grilled salmon steaks. The servings were huge and inexpensive and the quality was excellent. The people of Portugal are terrific. I'm sure you will have a great time and I look forward to hearing about it.
Deste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Gourmet, June 2003 Reply with quote

Bluedog: Do you have access to the issue of the magazine listed in subject line above? I just noticed Lisbon's written on the spine.

Also egullet.org's forums might have some discussions of Lisbon.

(P.S. I envy you for your point of departure!!!!)
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog, if you can manage to spare a little time from your business trip, I would highly recommend hopping on the train and heading the nearby town of Sintra up in the hills. It's a lovely little town - very green, and perched on the edge on a mountain with great views. It's a very easy journey and the trains run all day long (it's about a 45 minute trip in each direction.) Lovely situation, lovely architecture - if I were to go back in the near future, I would consider staying in Sintra and heading into the city for the day.

As for Lisbon itself, I'm sure you'll be advised to visit the Alfama, the one of the older neighborhoods in the city. My sister and I took a tram (don't remember the number, but it should be easy enough to find in a tourist guidebook) leaving the central part of the city and winding through the narrow streets of the Alfama. The views from the castle grounds over the city are gorgeous. We also took in a fado show, which I would recommend, though we ended up going to a fairly touristy venue (with prices to match) simply because we didn't really know where the more authentic places were, and were too tired to find out on the fly.

I hope others can recommend restaurants. We were students, travelling on the cheap, so we did a lot of al fresco picnicking rather than formal eating, but the food and pastry was generally excellent, and we did get very good seafood pretty much everywhere we went. Enjoy your trip!
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice p monkey, I wouldn't have thougt of leaving town while on such a short visit, but it sounds like a worthy venture. I haven't done any researach yet, since it is a business trip, so I appreciate even the "tourist" advice.

And Deste, I think I may have that issue. I keep all my back issues sorted by month, so I can browse old recipes by season. I don't always get Gourmet, so we'll see. Have you lived in Seattle?

And Barbara, I hope my trip goes better than yours. I hope you have had better trips since!

Thanks!
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, no, I have never lived in Seattle....just visited quite a few times to see friends and attend a wedding and conferences. I remember when there was only ONE Sur La Table, a mind-boggling paradise midst beauty.
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog, I just remembered that one of the things my sister and I consumed in vast quantities when in Portugal: grilled sardines. Mmm. There's apparently a season when they are best, but we were there out of season (March) and still found them everywhere, though we were in the Algarve mostly, so perhaps the proximity to the coast made a difference. If you find them on the menu and you're a fish lover, be sure to check them out.
bluedog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Copenhagen, too! Reply with quote

Thanks to all. Just found out that I have 2 days in Copenhagen all to myself, with my hubby and no kids. Any advice?
bluedog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all for the advice. I had a terrific trip. Sintra and Mafra were just lovely, and on the very last day i had an hour free so we took a cab (yipes!) up the hill in Alfama to the castle at dusk. Just breathtaking.

The food: we ate in the hotel (i was at a conference) most of the time, but still had great seafood. Melon and serrano ham to die for. I will pass on the octopus salad next time. It was actually quite good, but it was offered at nearly every meal! My few meals out were also good, fish, of course.

Desserts were pretty mediocre, but with lots of port, who can complain.

Also, see my post on Copenhagen - fantastic city!

On to my next adventure - St. Petersburg - please reply to that post if you have any info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: