Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Boston weekend?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewYorkDely

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: More than baked beans... Reply with quote

Hello,

I just graduated from a college in Boston, and really appreciated the food during my time there. Here are my suggestions.

1) Steer clear of the following below-par tourist traps: Legal Seafoods, Mike's Pastry, Finale (bleh). Also avoid any bagel place. You should know that there are no real delis to be found (but I'm a native New Yorker, so...).

2) For great deserts in the North End, go to Caffe Vittorio. Some people have already recommended it for good reason. Sip on espresso or sambuca and have a delicious gelato. Very kitch, very cool.

3) Hands down, the best meal I've ever had in my life (and this includes many food filled trips to France, no offence to Clotilde, of course) is at Clio at the Eliot Hotel. I had a tasting menu there which I will never forget. It's super expensive, but if you're looking for haute cuisine, it's a good choice.

4) Boston is full of old-world steak houses. It's not my thing, but the one I liked best is the Oak Room. If you can't make it there, you might want to go to the Oak Bar for martinis.

5) My favorite sushi is at Fugakyu, up in Coolidge Corner. It's really really good. In college, my friends and I would starve ourselves all day and then feast on Fugakyu's sushi for dinner...sigh...

6) I love brunch at Stephanie's on Newbury Street. Delish.

7) If you're looking for a cheap lunch, look for an Anna's Tacqueria. It's so so yummy and can be likened to the Soup Nazi in that you need to know what you want... no hesitating. Just plan to get in line behind a 20 or so hungover (or still drunk) college kids with messy hair.

Cool There is an absolutely delicious restaurant in Beacon Hill called Toscano. Wonderful for a dinner after walking around Boston. A more casual alternative is Figs. Both are on Charles Street.

Have fun! Now I really miss Boston!
kohuether

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- I live in the Boston area and have some suggestions.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Hot Chocolate Godiva Cake at Mortons on Newbury Street. (www.mortons.com). I've dined there before and it is excellent if you are a steak lover. But, if you just want to sample the cake, you can order it at the bar. It is a truffle cake with a hot gooey center and served with vanilla ice cream.

The Union Oyster House near Faneuil Hall is the oldest restaurant in operation in North America (or is it the US? I forget). We sat at the oyster bar while waiting for a table and that was actually the coolest part of the restaurant.

I agree with NewYorkDely's statements about staying away from Legal's and Mike's. The lines at Mikes are opressively long and then it wasn't even worth the wait.

Cafe Vittoria is awesome. I love the cappuccinos. They put chocolate powder on them!

The North End is my favorite section. I love to walk around and look at all the menus and find the Italian restaurant that suits my mood for the moment. I've never actually had a bad meal at any of the restaurants there.

Anam Cara in Brookline has the best fries I've ever had in a restaurant and they have an excellent beer list that features the high quality Belgians. Try their sample tray!
tea leaves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: recent update Reply with quote

Hi there
according to my executive chef, you can skip Pigalle
was there saturday nite, all entrees cold, ordered tenderloin was told out, was getting ribeye, got served sliced flank. Ordered sea bass, got cold black cod on gazpacho.
Seems they ran out of food is his guess.
regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: