Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Hold Tight!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: HOME AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

well its hot, musty, stinks, THE A/C isn't working and trash is everywhere, BUT IT SURE LOOKS GREAT TO ME!!!!!! we are in a high, unflooded area, no looting!!!!!! other than the a/c everything is ok. Two fridges need a COMPLETE scrubbing deoderization, and there is lots of trash and limbs to remove but it looks like everything came through ok.

plan to help my friend who parents lost everything salvage a few mementos from the ruins of their house....

thanks for all the prayers and good wishes, and while we still need all we can get spare a few for thiose folks in Texas, wow 2 cat 5's in 3 weeks!!!!

global warming anyone??
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with everything Pesto Man.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing and hoping that if you made it through Katrina that Rita's assault will not reach you. You are in Jefferson parish, I take it?

I'm hoping the, comparatively, milder flooding will not do too much additional damage.

How much of hurricane season is left?

I continue to think of you and may be headed down your way at some point in the not too distant future. I'm going to a Red Cross volunteer training class tomorrow and hope I'll be up to the 3 weeks of service that follows. They tell me Mobile or Baton Rouge is where they're currently sending volunteers but, I guess, that may change when Rita's toll is revealed.
simona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pesto man,
i hope by now you are able to sit on your terasse and sip your beloved martini. I'm happy your back home and that your house was only relatively little hurt by katrina.
It's difficult to imagine what people went through, but it's even more difficult to understand what went really wrong with the rescue operations.
What we saw on television was incredible and horrifying.
Wish you all the best possible , sorry I'm so far away and les able to really help.

P.S. Rainey dear, I really fail to understant the connection between 9/11 and the hurricanes.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone!!! thanks for all your efforts, and good wishes!!!!! Your friendship and concern have been heart warming and mean more than you will ever know!!

Simona, because my rose garden is still a little worse for wear, I have been enjoying my Martini's inside, but enjoy I have Laughing

Rainey, yes I am in Jefferson Parish, Metairie to be precise and along one of the (relatively) highest ridges in the area which virtually never floods. Damage has been minimal, My garden is much mopre problematic, In the city proper, the 9th ward near the industrial canal that has been giving so much trouble of late. While I understand the neighborhood did NOT flood in Katrina, there was more water there today and at any rate It might be awhile before I am allowed back in to access damage. And even longer before a working Farmer's Market. My wife's place of work in the French Quarter came through with minimal damage, but with a staff scattered across the country, with many with more considerable damage to their homes, it still make take some time to get up and running!

Rita is concentrating her fury to the west of us on the texas border, looks like Lake Charles and the Beaumont area are getting his. tHis is a major Oil refining area so do not be surprised if prices at the pump skyrocket again Crying or Very sad But as far as this area is concerned, apart for some minor reflooding of some lolying areas, Rita (thankfully) been pretty much of a non-event Very Happy
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops this typing was bad by even my lowly standards Laughing

give me a break its been a long and taxing day!

gnight!!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona-

We have a President who has spent four years deliberately instilling hysteria and assuring Americans that only he can protect us after the horror of 9/11 and only at the price of civil liberties American's have had for 200 years before him. It's time to ask if the price is too high and the results in any way adequate.

This is overtly political but it's located in "Other Things" and important to consider when our government's response to Americans in grave need for their very lives was callous at worst and inept at best.
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we have the reincarnation of Marie Antionette in office telling them all to eat cake.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
I believe we have the reincarnation of Marie Antionette in office telling them all to eat cake.

Yes, but where does one get waterproof cake? Shocked
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PestoMan......glad to hear from u...I am originally from NO but have lived in VA since 1971....but my heart is in NO & I have many high school friends & relatives there........it was sooo sad to watch from afar.....my thoughts have been with you & all other New Orleanians......I used to live on Bellaire Dr & that first block seemingly stayed dry.......good luck in the massive clean up
Deste

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
Erin wrote:

Yes, but where does one get waterproof cake? Shocked

Tofu? Wink
simona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rainey"]simona-

We have a President who has spent four years deliberately instilling hysteria and assuring Americans that only he can protect us after the horror of 9/11 and only at the price of civil liberties American's have had for 200 years before him. It's time to ask if the price is too high and the results in any way adequate.

This is overtly political but it's located in "Other Things" and important to consider when our government's response to Americans in grave need for their very lives was callous at worst and inept at best.[/quote]
======
Terrorist don't give a d... about anybody's civil liberties. And anyhow, I believe one gets only the civil liberties he/she is willing to fight for. But you're right, that's located in "other things" . And I'm sorry I'm still not seing the connection between nature's wrath and human hate.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connection is, whether it's a matter of responding to terrorists (who, arguably, acted without notice) or nature (which, in this case, gave a week of advanced warning), our government has shown itself to be 1) utterly lacking and 2) more interested in advancing their public relations than attending to human need.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our country was founded on freedom and many of us want to keep it that way despite threats.

Below is a small portion of the Declaration of Independence, it is only a fraction of the reason I feel so strongly on the subject of our civil liberties being threatened. We are from different countries and have different histories, and our relationship with terrorism is different as well. Our forefathers fought with every fiber of their being for what we have, and that is the reason some of us are so protective of our civil liberties.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin-

May I take this opportunity to assure you that I will never mess with your knives or your civil liberties. Wink and a ::smooch:: too (just 'cause I never see you any more)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: