Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Nutrition: Any interesting books?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Nutrition: Any interesting books? Reply with quote

I really want to know more than I do about nutrition, but can't seem to find a book that leaps off the shelf and says "ME!!!"

Is there anyone who has found something really good to recommend? I can deal with something less than a page-turner as long as there's detailed information. I am looking for something that is more concerned with health and all types of foods than with weight loss, vegan or vegetarian diets. Thanks!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best source I have for nutrition is a textbook from culinary school put out by the C.I.A. called "The New Professional Chef". Although it will have more info than you are looking for, the nutrition info is the best I have found. The book details every thing from basic nutrition to proper nutrition for vegans. I have seen it at book stores and online, so it is widely available though maybe a bit expensive. I like this book because you're not going to get some fad, but real info for everyday life.

Good luck in your hunt!

"It's hot ham water."
Deste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Erin! The book (7th edition) is indeed expensive, but discounted on Jessica's Biscuit, it's not much more than McGee. I also noticed a different publication from the CIA specifically about cooking for health. The short blurb says it's not for beginners & addresses nutrition. I am not sure that means the text goes into greater specialized detail than "The New Professional Chef" does. Do you know this one, too?
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deste
Not sure if this is the kind of book you are after, but I bought the `Prescription for Nutritional Healing` about 6 years ago and have found this excellent. It looks at how to heal whatever is wrong - from allergies to arthritis to depression - from a nutritional point of view, by giving a nutritional `prescription` according to the symptoms/issue. A really good all-round guide book.
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deste,
I am not sure of the book you are talking about, but if it is put out by the C.I.A. it is sure to be worth it. I am glad you found my post helpful.

"It's hot ham water."
Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya ...

Walter Willet's Eat, Drink and Be Healthy is excellent. He's a doctor at Harvard's School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School. He's concerned that there have always been lots of fad diets out there but without hard science to back their claims. He makes overt connections between what we eat and how that affects our health throughout the book, all backed by decades-long studies. He also offers a new food pyramid, saying we (in the US) need to question the current one because it was created by the Department of Agriculture rather than the Department of Health & Human Services. It's quite readable. And he says we can keep drinking coffee!

I also often turn to Jane Brody's Good Food Book for good health info about fruits, veggies, and nuts. She has a focus on eating lots of carbs (the good ones) which isn't for everyone, but I think the book is full of all kinds of useful stuff.

Both authors talk about eating sensibly while enjoying your food.

Anyhow, my 2 cents. Good luck!
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, really, your suggestions were invaluable! I ended up ordering two books, including "The Professional Chef's Healthy Cooking," 2nd edition which is published by The CIA. There were 5 reviews online, one calling the nutrional information a bit elementary, but I figured that's kind of what I need anyway since I know little more than what I learn through the media. I was influenced by the recommendation of "The Professional Chef," 7th edition, but figured the same school's focus on recipes, techniques and ideas for making food attractive and nutritious would be useful even if the chapter(s) that dwell exclusively on nutrition are brief. The index looks amazing & I found a good deal.

The second book is "Eat, Play and Be Healthy," a companion to Lisa's recommendation (the one I almost purchased since it does look readable and thorough), but written with children's nutrition and eating in mind.

If you have further thoughts, I'd be happy to hear more!
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is totally just my opinion, but I believe nutrition is a basic elementary thing. It is so disected that people end up eliminating valuable things from their day to day diets because someone has a new idea to lose weight. I am not saying that everyone should eat meat or only veggies but I do believe that proper nutrition all has the same foundation.

Chocolate.

"It's hot ham water."
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree, Erin. I think I saw Julia Child cited somewhere in this forum: everything in moderation. I'm all for spare ribs and heavy cream and not into steamed vegetables and poached flounder on a bed of millet with toasted seaweed sprinkled on top. Not much for dieting either, just avoiding certain purchases and increasing exercise.

I'm very interested in the movement to change school lunches (thus the book on kids and nutrition) along with farmer's markets and Slow Food (another topic on this forum). It makes sense to me to become more knowledgeable about the virtues and benefits of specific foods and food groups...in other words, knowing a bit more than the recommended daily portions of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, etc.

The constant changes in what is being advocated make me very skeptical too, although I am glad more research is being done independent of the lobbying groups that want us to drink milk and think of pork as the new white meat. I have to say I am pleased that the healthful properties of red wine and coffee are now being touted.

Last edited by Deste on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cynthia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: A great nutrition resource Reply with quote

Hi - I work in low-income communities in promoting good nutrition and I can highly recommend "American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide". Because the source is ADA, it doesn't hype fad diets and nutrition, instead it takes a very researched, conservative approach to the subject. The book is really quite interesting and informative.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deste,
I will admit that I justify eating a small square of the darkest chocolate with my red wine by saying it is good for my heart, but as you and Julia say "in moderation".
Through culinary school I worked in the coffee industry as a barista and some of the "diet" drinks people would get astonished me. With the whole low carb craze I had people order 20 ounce drinks made with 16 oz. of heavy whipping cream, the shots and sugar free flavoring. That drink alone had over 260 grams of fat. I finally stopped being nice and lectured some people on heart health and how their arteries were filling up with goo. MODERATION!
I hope you enjoy your books, and let me know about the new CIA one.

"It's hot ham water."
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: The CIA book Reply with quote

Erin:

Since you asked, the book The Professional Chef's Techniques of Healthy [sic, shouldn't it be healthful?] Cooking (Publisher: Wiley, 2001) just arrived this weekend. 66% discount on a book w/ only minor damage on lower spine; a sales receipt gave me the impression that the original owner went to the CIA though s/he left nary a mark on the pages. (Perhaps a job in an upscale steak house made it superfluous?)

The heavy volume looks really, really useful and good. The writing is less than lively...well, you know, textbookish. However, it's very concise but thorough in explaining basic elements of nutrition with some details about why carbs, for example are the most important way to obtain energy and nutrients we need and thus why all versions of food pyramids, past and present, put so much emphasis on grains.

Most importantly, the book has a chapter on the elements of taste, written to provide professional chefs ideas for increasing the appeal of foods that have fewer calories, e.g., including a crunch factor in meals with soft foods, infusing rice with saffron and adding different flavor combinations on other ingredients that are cooked separately to add complexity. This isn't the best example, since I am referring to a dish that was clearly designed as spa food and is rather elaborate. However, the same principles can be used to make food that is good for you something Mikey--or fussy brothers and devil-spore haters--would like.

The bulk of the book is devoted to recipes, some neat and simple enough to be practical for home cooking...and varied enough to provide inspiration. All recipes include nutritional information, applying the knowledge gained by reading the beginning of the book.

(The other book, written about kids, is really good too, just of a different, complementary nature.)

Cheers, D.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deste,
That sounds like it was worth the money. I hope the chef left some good notes for you.

"It's hot ham water."
Deste

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the sales slip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: