Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Comfortable shoes for men.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Comfortable shoes for men. Reply with quote

This is a way random topic I know, but I need help.

I am trying to buy my husband some shoes for Christmas, (yes I shop early), and am totally clueless about men's wear. I am looking for some nice looking black leather shoes that are comfortable to wear for long stretches at a time. Can any of you recommend a good brand?

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephisto shoes are sensational. I first tried them when I had a heel spur and a podiatrist recommended them. I love 'em and I've been wearing them ever since. I've got pairs that are 8 or more years old that I can't part with cause they're soooo comfortable. The good news is when they get all worn in and comfy but start looking ratty you can send them back to Mephisto and they rebuild 'em.

Here's their website so you can get a look: http://www.mephistowebstore.com/index.html

Another really comfortable pair of shoes I just got are from a small company called El Naturalista. But, (alas!) they don't seem to make mens' and they're tough to find.
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also highly reccomend Mephisto shoes. I'm recovering from a broken ankle, and many of my old flat shoes just don't protect enough from the impact of walking. Another good pair (and less expensive) are Merrell Mocs I got at a hiking type store. They're very nice looking, and also super comfortable. I don't know a website, but I'm sure if you google them.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both, I will be checking them out.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband owns about half of the Merrill line and enthusiastically recommends them. He works on his feet in very challenging and diverse situations and often carries 3 pair of shoes with him to always have dry or appropriate ones onhand. 2 out of the 3 on any given day are probably Merrills - from boots to sneaks to sandals.

They wear great but I'm not aware of a re-conditioning service. Only other thing is, I think they only make casual shoes. Don't know what use your husband is looking for.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Christmas I have bought him this really cool satchel that looks sort of like a doctor's bag and I am filling it with things for our trip. So far I have bought a travel clock, wallet, dopp kit, hat, gloves, scarf and some clothes. He pretty much lives in soccer shoes when he isn't in uniform, so I want to get him some big boy shoes. He wants nicer shoes, but getting him to go shopping is like pulling teeth because he has size 14 feet and many people just laugh when he asks for them. Since he is not a good shopper anyway that makes him even more grouchy.

I do like that Mephisto has a repair policy, he is very hard on his shoes. I guess it is hard not to be with size 14's.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERin - what is a Dopp kit?
wnissen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Another Mephisto fan here Reply with quote

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Mephisto shoes are excellent. I have been wearing the same pair since April 2001, and have had them rebuilt three times. The leather is still in excellent condition, though the stitching is just now starting to come apart in a few places. Especially if one is walking long distances, they are substantially more comfortable than even sneakers. When on vacation, we typically walk 5-6 miles a day, and I have never had a problem with sore feet. They even work well for hiking, as long as conditions are dry.

The downsides are cost ($200-400), the time required for re-soling, and the delicacy of the leather. Unfortunately, there is no way to buy new Mephistos cheaply on the Internet the way you can with, say, digital cameras. I've also had a terrible experience with re-soling where it took 14 weeks to send my shoes back! Finally, the leather is gorgeous, but it won't stand up to abrasion the way a hiking boot will, so expect scratches under tough conditions.

Walt
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Zappos might be just what you need. Check it out here: http://www.zappos.com/welcome3.zhtml?1004

They have a very liberal return policy and will reimburse you for shipping of anything you don't want for whatever reason. So you can order something in 2 sizes if you're in a hurry and simply return the one that didn't fit (or both for that matter). No questions asked. They have a huge inventory and you can do searches on types and manufacturers. They happen to carry Mephisto dress and casual shoes.

I've been down the road you're describing — my son WON'T go shopping and he'd rather do without downright essential things than have to go out and get them.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, a dopp kit is a case for toiletries.

Rainey, I totally forgot about Zappos! I love that site, when I was ordering shoes for my bridesmaids I was their worst nightmare. I kept buying and returning, buying and returning. They were great about it although I think my UPS man got a bit sick of seeing me.

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking out Zappos and found some cool stuff. Have any of you ever worn Born? They look pretty cool and are advertised as comfortable.

"It's hot ham water."
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Born are very comfortable! Just about all the European companies on Zappo's are great. Mephistos are extremely pricy even in Italy, let alone here....but they're wonderfully designed and range from frumpy to hip. There's an Israeli manufacturer (Beautiful Feet, with first word intentionally misspelled) that makes excellent costly shoes for women...I don't know about men's. Here in D.C. there are several "alternative" shoe stores, one called Comfort Shoes, that have lots of options. You may have some nearby. Also Rockport has gotten savvy about the appeal of its shoes and now make very dressy, light weight shoes for business men....or husbands who go to the theater.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother always talked about the lasts not being shaped to fit with her feet (Those are the thingies used to build various styles around, shape varies from mfg to mfg). Neither Borns nor Birks fit me right. I've been exclusively a Clarks wearer for 12 yrs. Only shoes I could ever stand/walk on cement in for over 8 hrs a day. Clarks does make some men's shoes -- Zappo's has 20 pages of them.

FWIW, I wear a US 6 & have a high instep. I'd assume the men's styles have good instep room also. Good luck with the shoe hunt.
birgit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these might be interesting as well:
www.trippen-shoes.com
veeery comfortable plus cool designs. they'll exchange any worn parts, too. for summer I can recommend their wooden clogs collection, astonishingly in these sandals your feet feel always warm and comfortable. I'm wearing mine for several years now, the summer sandals as well as the closed winter models, and I'm walking a lot. In their shops you'll find more than on their website, and there's a catalogue as well they might send to you on request.
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin.....My husband & I went to paris in late Oct. last yr & I had to outfit him before the trip with some "regular" clothes as he is a nurse....it was like pulling teeth to get him to actually go with me......he brought a sport coat but never really needed it except for an extra layer in Burgundy.....no shoe suggestions, but only really needed one good pair....comfortable & broken in before trip! Have a wonderful time....weather last yr was surprisingly balmy & pretty dry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: