Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

An End to Washing Dishes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: An End to Washing Dishes? Reply with quote

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69113,00.html

Do you think it's possible? Have you the slightest interest in items that are intended to be dispensible and remarkable only for their transitory nature?

Last edited by Rainey on Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love my dishes, but have been experiencing feelings of animosity towards them for the last year or so. I HATE WASHING DISHES!!! I HAVE FREAKING DISH PAN HANDS!!! exhale....sorry I had to let it out. I have never lived without a dishwasher and I never will again.

"It's hot ham water."
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I share your antipathy. Never could get into the zen of being in the moment over a sink and counter full of plates, glasses, utensils, empty plastic containers (I hate these the most), pots and pans. I have lived for the past seven years without a dishwasher, though, and can only say it is satisfying to see the counter cleared and the sink scrubbed.

But, Rainey, how terrifying!!!! In the name of wasteful consumerism, by all means, it is our duty as U.S. citizens to find yet another way to rob our material culture of beauty and throw more and more piles of thngs away!!!
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my neighbors don't have dishwashers either and they use paper! I was appalled when I found that out. Come on people reduce, reuse, recycle, they taught us that in elementary school.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Come on people reduce, reuse, recycle, they taught us that in elementary school.

Not only that, but museums are full of beautiful objects lovingly decorated by people who lived in harsh environments. What will our age offer for future generations to consider?

Meanwhile, I'm just coming up to speed with the damage being done by rains back east. You're OK, I take it if you've time to surf the net. Anyway, I'm relieved to think so...
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing quite well despite the fact that I live in Suffolk county which has been one of the hardest hit places in NY. Most of the serious flooding is out west and on into New Jersey. I am looking out onto a rather large pond developing in my street, but I am more worried that my fence withstands these winds.
Thanks for thinking of me Rainey. I'll let you know if things worsen.

"It's hot ham water."
bainst

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: End to washing dishes Reply with quote

My mother discovered the answer to this dilemma years ago. Unfortunately, I moved out the house for college. My sister then moved out herself ten years later, so now my mom relies on the backup, but dad just doesn't have the same finesse as my sister and I.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bainst,
That is how my mom had such a clean house all of the time as well. I only have Phil and Barney. Phil is color blind and actually misses certain things on the dish and Barney would either lick the plate clean or bark at them. So it looks like I am out of luck.

Oh, Barney is my dog.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pooh poohed the dishwasher concept for years until we got our first one. Now I am frantically searching for someone local who can fix ours as it seems to be on the fritz and won't empty.

as for the dishmaker!!!!!! I have to say I'm quite intriqued by the idea, especially as the dishes can be recycled. Would hate the concept if the dishes were just meant to be chucked but that isn't the case with these.

As for washing dishes without water, well if you have dogs, and you just leave the dishes on the floor for a few minutes..............................
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole concept makes me kinda disheartened but I guess it would make a difference if the amount of energy expended was about what a dishwasher would use. Still, the whole idea of handing down a stack of "dishes" whose pedigree dates from last week leaves me feeling sad for coming generations.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value my dishwasher, both the electric one and my husband. When our children were little, a neighbour, who is a very successful child phsycologist, said dish washing up time is one of the best times for talking one on one with your child. Also a good time for talking with your partner if you lead busy lives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: