Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Munich!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kohuether

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Munich! Reply with quote

I lived in Munich for two years and am now going back... It's like home. Smile Anyone want to share some experiences? My favorites:

Schneider Weisse on Talstrasse
Andechs am Dom (and the real thing- Kloster Andechs which is a day trip from Munich)
Any of the Italian restaurants
Bohne und Malze
That Chinese restaurant (what the heck is the name) down one of the side streets near Marienplatz

I will be staying away from the Hofbrauhaus... over-rated and not much fun- not to mention that there is hardly a local in sight.
birgit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Ampelanlage Etterschlag (a simple junction of two streets and some traffic lights) -- for an occasional nice traffic jam party (at least when heading south ....), this has always been in the news, I wonder if still? Wink -- um, couldn't resist Wink ... but seriously: Millirahmstrudel (milk-cream-strudel?) from one of the baker's shops near -- ah, great, too: Viktualienmarkt and some lovely small beergardens under lots of trees near the river isar Smile and salad with tiny spring rolls at the "Alter Simpel" in Schwabing Smile And champagne ice cream at the ice cream parlor at Wei├čekreuzplatz Smile
Smile have lots of fun Smile
Kerry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cafe an der Uni", "News Cafe" (both next to Universitaet's U-Bahn stop), "Interview" (on Rosenheimerplatz) and "Tambosi" (on Odeonsplatz) are sooo great for Brunch. I have been looking for equivalents of these brunch places since I left Germany but I never found such a mix of nice atmosphere, good food and reasonable prices elsewhere than in Munich.
I also miss "Kaimug" and the little tea shop in "Fuenf Hoefe" a lot.
And Michaelibad Biergarten is the best in my opinion!

Oh dear I wish I could go back there right now Smile
Viel Spass !
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a weekend with my son in Munich a few years ago. There is a small book called "The Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich", which rates all of the beer gardens and beer halls in and around Munich, and best of all, gives directions for how to get to each one by public transportation. My son and I spent 8 hours going from one to the other, finally giving up at 12:30 in the morning. My favorites were Augustinerkeller and, for beer garden, the Chineseserturm (bad spelling) in the English Garden. I agree that Hofbrauhaus is disappointing, but it is useful because it provides a place for the tourists who might otherwise disrupt the other beer drinking places. I've never had better roasted pork than Axnbauer, very traditional and somewhat infected by tourists because of its location, but worth it for the quality of the food. I would gladly go back right now!
Kerry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that www.toytownmunich.com and http://www.munichtoday.de/ provide fairly good restaurant tips for Munich and are both written in English.

Here is a bunch of links to other places I've mentionned before:

Brunch/Breakfast/Cafe places:
News Cafe: http://www.newscafemunich.de/ncm/
Tambosi: www.tambosi.de
Cafe An Der Uni: http://www.cadu.de/
Sconery tea shop: http://www.toytownmunich.com/archive/sconery_tea_shop.html

Nice and affordable Thai restaurant (this is actually a chain!):
Kaimug: http://www.kaimug.de/
monicajo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Munich! Reply with quote

Quote:
That Chinese restaurant (what the heck is the name) down one of the side streets near Marienplatz

I believe that the place is called "the little chinese man" (auf deutsch of course!).

I miss the thai place that was in the shopping center that was across from the temporary ice rink they erect during the winter.
Monica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I was only about 16 when I was there. An older cousin was playing or teaching violin at the Uni. He took us to little local places, perhaps the first time I had Thai was there. And a really good pizza with artichoke hearts. I remember being in one of the beer halls with my friend Amy, drinking a mix of beer and lemonade, was it? Some guy at the next table came over and took our stack of pretzels. We were dumbfounded and couldn't even concoct a sentence with our rudimentary German to ask what his problem was. Nice waitress saw and remedied the situation for us!
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Munich! Never got out of the train station. It was 1978 and I was travelling around Europe on a eurail pass with my partner at the time. Rob looked vaguely middle eastern with a swarthy complexion and a thick mane of black hair and a bushy moustache (hey, it's 1978). It was the height of the Baader-Meinhof era (sp?) and armed soldiers were everywhere. We got off the train from Vienna and I went to the bathroom. When I returned I found Rob up against a wall with machine guns pointed at him while being frisked and questioned (we spoke no German). Anyway, they decided fairly quickly that we seriously were not a terrorist threat and let us go. We went alright, right onto the next train out of there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: