Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ratio of Gadgets to Ingredients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Ratio of Gadgets to Ingredients Reply with quote

What do you have the most tools and gadgets to deal with? I bet it's the same as me: garlic. I've got presses that contain the cloves ready to be augered out. Self-cleaning presses. Microplanes with a little sliding recepticle for slicing and grating it. Rubbery things to peel garlic cloves. Things to roast them in. I was sorely tempted the other day by a new gadget with a bottom and a rotating top. If you rotate it one way it peels the cloves and if you rotate it the other, it ,minces it.

What stopped me from getting this nifty new gadget is the plain fact that all of these things are more trouble to store and clean than they're worth. The truth of the matter is I peel garlic by placing a clove on a cutting board and smacking it with the heel of my hand. The papery skin falls off in a couple pieces. If I want to avoid the odor on my hands I can do the same thing with the flat blade of a chef's knife between the clove and my hand.

I never mince garlic anymore. I, mostly, slice it thinly and find that doesn't take me any more time than retrieving a tool. If I want finer than sliced, I just sprinkle the slices with whatever salt & pepper the recipe calls for and rub them together with the garlic with the side of the blade of my knife. This paste is great for salad dressings.

Tell you what a good metal garlic press is good for, though: break off a piece of fresh ginger. Don't even bother to peel it! You can press out unstringy bits in half the time you'd take just to peel the bit before you even started grating it.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe tomatoes or cheese. I don't have many gadgets, because my chefs knife is pretty much all purpose. I have two tomato knives, one has a hull removing tip. Then there is the hull remover, the tomato press and although it is not a gadget or tomato specific tool my Le Creuset tomato shaped pot.

"It's hot ham water."
Monica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading through old threads as you can see... thought it a shame this one didn't get more replies. For me it's cookies. I have cookie press, cookie cutters, cookie sheets, those design imprinters for the tops (can't think of proper name), wide cookie spatula, tins and jars to hold them and sprinkle-y stuff for the tops. And even a dog named Cookie! But I hardly ever make cookies that require more than a spoonful plopped onto the baking sheet...
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't even think of cookies. I've got most of the same stuff for cookies. Only I use them all the time so I didn't think of them in the same vein as all the things that clog up my drawers.

I use silicone mats and various sizes of ice cream scoops on a regular basis. I don't haul out the cookie cutters and decorating toys more than big holidays but they're so much fun when I get into that too. Fortunately, all those colored sugars and edible pigment powders keep!

I also have dozens of the terra cotta and springerle (hope that approximates the spelling...) cookie molds but they're so decorative I have them up on the walls in my kitchen and enjoy them daily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: