Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Beginning Blogger Seeks Help and Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Beginning Blogger Seeks Help and Advice Reply with quote

I am thinking of starting a blog and wonder what you experiences and recommendations might be. Are there any particular concerns I should know about before I start?

Many of you are already bloggers. Do you recommend any particular service to use? Are there free ones out there that are reliable and don't clutter your site with ads, pop ups and the like? Is it worth paying for a blog host?

I am a writer, so initial content isn't a problem, but how often does one need to update a blog? How about the graphics of how the site looks? Any recommendations for that as well.

I look forward to your feedback, advice and suggestions. C&Zer's always seem very generous with their time and expertise.

Thanks a lot.

Creampuff
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Creampuff
You will find the blog called Food Blog School at http://foodblogscool.blogspot.com/

It could answer many questions you have. I started with the free Google blog template but moved to Typepad where they charge a small monthly fee. It suits me because I'm fairly useless around computers. I haven't even figured out how to make myself an avatar yet!!

I'm not disciplined about regular postings but if you want to build up a following you need to post fairly often.

I suggest you go to the Google site and play around with the templates on offer and take it from there.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your blog soon.
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creampuff, i use blogger.com....http://www.blogger.com/start....doesn't cost anything & they have several templates available....no ads...fairly straight forward to use. it's a good starting place. i am planning on looking into other features that will give me more flexibility but i haven't had the time yet.

and definitely check out the food blog school that barbara mentioned.

also, if you are interested in photography at all then check out http://www.flickr.com/. i originally started with the freebie monthly account but then became addicted & bought the pro account (less than $30 for a year). if you are thinking of using photos in your blog you'll need somewhere for the photos to reside.
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a blog, I'd love to see it. Please include your blog addresses so I can take a peek!
Thx
Creampuff
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a rank beginner myself. And I'm computer illiterate, to boot; completely dependent on my Mac and idiot-proof templates.

I use Blogger like JustMe. And I prefer Buzznet for photos because it displays photos in a number of sizes along with their HTML to copy and pop into whatever text. Both have free options.

As for websites, look on the bottom of any post and if you see a "www" button you can click on it and go directly to that website/blog.
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. It took me a while, but I finally took the plunge last week and opened a blogger account.

My first postings are up, very simple to get started. (The very first literally says testing testing.) I hope to post regularly.

Again, thanks for your encouragement and suggestion.

I'll let you know when I have some more "real entries" and I'm open for business.
saltshaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it depends on what you're setting out to do. If you plan to post occasionally, or aren't really sure you want to do this, I'd agree on going with a service like blogger that's free. If, however, you know this is what you're about, I recommend getting your own domain, even though you'll pay for it. Take a look at, as someone said the Food Blog S'cool - a lot of those of us who blog regularly use it both as student and teacher. There was also a link recently to some guidelines for blogging that I think are worth reading through.
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I guess I would call myself a variable poster (but I've only had the blog up and running for just a few days). I am really enjoying having an outlet for my writing and can see how I could outgrow blogger.com

If I do decide to take my blog elsewhere, can I transfer my archives and content?

At the very least I am already tired of the restrictions on layout the pre-designed templates offer. However, I am a content junkie, not a code one, so it is a steep learning curve for me.

I've checked out the food sc'ool site and have been reading books on blogging, but just decided to jump into it all feet first and start with blogger.com

All advice and suggestions are appreciated!
simona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck and Mazel Tov, Creampuff. New Year, new beginnings!
I hope I will have mine ready in about a week , but in hebrew. I took someone to design it, and it costs quite a little bit of money , because it's in Hebrew.
I couldn't register in yours, I don't know why, so I couln't leave a comment/response/congratulation on your blog. I'll retry.

No more war, more tasty blogs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: