Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

forbidden rice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: forbidden rice? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody has suggestions for using this beautiful, black rice? I worry that it will discolor other foods if I mix it with other ingredients, but I'm not a huge fan of eating plain rice, no matter how pretty it is!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minkey, I'm not familiar with 'forbidden rice' - is it another name for wild rice, or for black glutinous rice, or is it something else altogether?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minkey ~ hi there...yet another example of the delight of this site...such a fun fun fun and sometimes funny place to learn..

the following gives a little of the history of the rice..

http://www.classbrain.com/artaskcb/publish/article_181.shtml

and for some suggested recipes:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=127574&prrfnbr=146780

today is sooooooo hot ~ you know that "it's tooooooooo hot to even think of food" type of day....so to old faithfull...baked (I know I know it involves an oven) rice custard....however when it cools...that delightfully slippery custard...and the texture..the sultanas...my kind of hot weather food...plus it's sweet..so there!!!

Minkey I'd love to know what you make with the forbidden food ~ do you know of the book "In the Devil's Garden ~ a sinful history of forbidden food" by Stewart Lee Allen ~ such such a read..highly recommended! oh and welcome on board the good ship c&z Very Happy
minkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Madame, for the learning and the recipes. I like your custard idea though. (Plus, maybe that way there is at least a chance the 12-year-old of the house will try it! Wink )

The thing I have seen suggested a lot is just to use the rice as a bed, esp. for sea food. But I don't eat the animals, so that doesn't help me.

I am dying to find your book -- it sounds really fun. I have unofficial agreement with the local bookseller to help them stay in business, so hopefully I will get it soon!

PS, how hot is it? We are supposed to be having Autumn, but we hit 90 yesterday in AZ!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minkey..as to the temperature..the figure I'm not sure of...all I know it was hot enough for me to use my "soak in cold water for 15 minutes" keep cool neckchief thing....those little beads of whatever they are expand...and it's so refreshing to have coolness around my neck...

The inaugural "Booksellers' Bookbuyer of the Year" award goes to you Minkey...and it will be presented to you by the One and Only David, of Ottawa! He, the Bookseller of the Year!

We have enjoyed the custard!

About to catch a train to the city ~ a day with a friend to see an exhibition of William Morris

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/exhibitions/morris&co.asp

It never ever ceases to delight me ~ that I'm able to see such wonder at the drop of a hat....oh yes I know the wonder all around...the sheer magic of a leaf, the body and it's wonder, one (let alone ALL) the clouds....oh I could go on...however there's a train to catch..
stefoodie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Forbidden Rice: A simple recipe (with chocolate!) Reply with quote

Forbidden rice is called "pirurutong" in the Philippines. It is almost black uncooked, but turns into lovely dark brownish purple hue when cooked. The most common use probably is in a Filipino delicacy, called "puto bumbong". It is often sold by street vendors around Christmastime. Said vendors can be found just outside in the churchyards as you attend the 9 days of early-morning masses before Christmas. I'm not providing a recipe for puto bumbong because it can be a bit tricky to prepare without the necessary equipment, traditionally thin bamboo tubes. After cooking, the rice is slid out of the tubes and onto banana leaves, where they are spread with a bit of butter and sprinkled with fresh grated coconut and sugar. I've heard that similar preparations are done in China and Malaysia.

What I will share is a dish we call "champorado", different from the Mexican champurrado which is a drink. Our champorado is basically a chocolate rice porridge, a favorite comfort food especially during the rainy season.

To prepare champorado, cook the forbidden rice in a saucepan, in water about 2 1/2-3 x the amount of rice -- it is supposed to be a bit soupy, but adjust according to individual tastes. Add cocoa powder and sugar to taste. (The traditional preparation uses cocoa tablets called "tablea", so if you can find a brand called Antonio Pueo (Asian stores, Filipino aisle) you'd be closer to the real thing.) Serve hot, topped with a swirling of evaporated milk.

Enjoy! Very Happy
minkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advice, Madame and Stefoodie!

I wanted to try the custard idea, with some coconut milk in it maybe and some mangoes -- I thought something brightly colored would set off the rice so nicely. But, even the guy at the India Market didn't have ripe mangoes.

So, I tried a risotto recipe -- I thought arborio was needed for risotto? Anyhoo, the recipe (http://www.balancetv.ca/balancetv/client/en/home/DetailRecipe.asp?id=256&pg=) was simple and my roommates (fiance and daughter) liked it. I thought it was okay but not that exciting.

More experimentation required... have to try champorado next...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: