Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Riots in Northern Suburbs of Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Riots in Northern Suburbs of Paris Reply with quote

How is everyone doing there is Paris and its environs?

Anything you can tell us that we're not reading in the newspapers?
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually had to ask my husband if he had heard anything about the riots.... my email inbox was full of concerned emails... and I knew nothing about it.

The "riots" are in the suburbs north of Paris, not actually inside Paris itself. From what he was told they are just a group of people running wild and trying to harm public buildings because they are annoyed with the governement. There are stories of hundreds being killed (in Australian news), but he said he did not hear anything about deaths except for 2 boys - don't know how old. These so called riots have been going on for a week and are more like people maliciously damaging public buildings such as gymnasiums, than riots. Apparently a few cars parked on the street were damaged, and stones were thrown at police when they intervened.

We live in the north of Paris, inside the city. It was calm and quiet and I had no idea of these "riots". Will wait and see what happens in the french news. At present it is in page 10 of the papers here. Not even enough to make front page - or even front 4 pages - news.

Me thinks another propaganda exercise by the paparazzi... they do like to blow things like this out of proportion and create panic
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Debbie.

I know some people who live in northern suburbs, outside Paris. I was surprised to see an article about what the headline called "riots" in The Washington Post today, albeit on page 19. It appears to relate to long standing cultural clashes, so I was curious. Photo is rather startling in the violence it captures, i.e. flames, not gore.

One reason I asked was because I was in Italy all summer when the protests against an economic summit in Genoa really got out of hand. The son of a major (corrupt) politician had just severed ties with his family and was one of the protesters. A tank ran over him in the streets due to the chaos and the resulting media coverage was of great intensity. "With his arms stretched out on either side, like Christ on the cross," read the text under the headline I read.

Then I got home and asked friends and family what they heard. "What protests?" they asked. "Really? People were hurt?"
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unrest in Parisian suburbs over the past 9 nights has not reached the city of Paris itself, at least not as of today. Newspaper and television reports here (in Paris) have reported that hundreds of cars parked on the street have been set on fire, as well as businesses such as a car dealership and a carpet store. Service to DeGaulle airport on the RER trains was on a reduced schedule, and the US government has warned Americans not to use this service (Line B) since it passes through one of the areas with problems.

As noted, these events have been limited to poor suburbs which probably haven't seen a tourist in years. As long as they remain there, visitors to Paris should be unaffected, and as others have posted, will probably be unaware anything is going on.
Abrielle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Debbie"]Well, I actually had to ask my husband if he had heard anything about the riots.... my email inbox was full of concerned emails... and I knew nothing about it.

The "riots" are in the suburbs north of Paris, not actually inside Paris itself. From what he was told they are just a group of people running wild and trying to harm public buildings because they are annoyed with the governement. There are stories of hundreds being killed (in Australian news), but he said he did not hear anything about deaths except for 2 boys - don't know how old. These so called riots have been going on for a week and are more like people maliciously damaging public buildings such as gymnasiums, than riots. Apparently a few cars parked on the street were damaged, and stones were thrown at police when they intervened.

We live in the north of Paris, inside the city. It was calm and quiet and I had no idea of these "riots". Will wait and see what happens in the french news. At present it is in page 10 of the papers here. Not even enough to make front page - or even front 4 pages - news.

Me thinks another propaganda exercise by the paparazzi... they do like to blow things like this out of proportion and create panic[/quote]

Debbie, not to be rude but you have got to be kidding. This has been on every front page since it started and has been on the News. This is simply not as insignificant as you are making it to be, this is serious. And the orgins of these riots are not simply "a group of people running wild" and thier grievances are not only with the government but French society. It's a very sad thing and I sincerely hope with all my heart everything works out . I feel for anyone who feels discriminated against but i do not condone violence. My sympathy goes out to everyone who has been affected by this.
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is simply hard to gauge how comfortable we are acknowledging the rest of the world in a forum linked to a Web site created out of sheer delight in the pleasures of food in general, and in Paris in particular. I know it creates unease for me since I am not sure if it is appropriate.

Discussions of politics tend to create friction even among like-minded people. It is hard to discern "tone" on the internet, especially when engaged in an exchange with someone you have never met.

I for one wish I had not blown up about Phyllis Shlafly despite my antipathy after a C & Z member innocently brought a compelling article from The New Yorker to our attention.

This forum works best when we are reminiscing, and sharing tips or support.

I think that as much as the issue of what is gingerly called "mulit-culturalism" is so current these days that corporations devote their mission statements to embracing diversity, the subject makes us especially squirmy because most of us wish to be sensitive to the feelings of others and respectful.

Suffice to say, many of us are drawn to C & Z because of the charm of Clotilde's writing and photographs. Many of us who do not live in France care not only about food, but have a personal connection to France, whether through family, studies abroad, career or travel.

We therefore do care about France as more than a tourist destination. Self-interest sparks empathy and an engagment in the rest of the world and its people.

I started this topic when there was little said in the press and I was hoping that those living in France might explain what is going on. I am sure different perspectives are offered by a variety of French sources, but as Abrielle implies, newspapers around the world now have placed the story on the front page.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been such a topic of conversation here in the media - last night it seemed there was talk show after interviews after commentary all on the riots, every media personality and academic dragged out of the woodwork to comment. Everyone is really really concerned about what this means for France - and I`ve even had feedback from contacts in Spain where it is predicted the rioting will spread to, where they have similar issues.

I`m really intrigued by this because I`m presently going to French class on the other side of my suburb - bordering some of the bad-ass areas - being the only Westerner in a class of Arab and black immigrants. Everyday there is a lot of discussion about the latest goings on - it`s taken very seriously. And their take on what is going on is very, very different to what the media says, so I`m really a little lost about the whys of it all. Whether it`s just bored, pampered young kids who`re looking for a bit of sensationalism & excitement - or is the direct result of isolated and discriminated-against immigrant communities.
the clean plate club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for starting this string. I actually turned to Chocolate and Zucchini expecting some firsthand information about the Paris riots...and, as much as we'd like it to be sometimes, the world is not all organic produce and farmstead cheeses.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to respond and explain that C&Z is a food blog, and I deliberately choose not to post about political or current affairs. I don't have first-hand information about the unrest -- it's mostly happening outside of Paris and my neighborhood is (thankfully) safe. We are all very concerned about what's happening and trying to make sense of it, but I don't feel the inclination to express my views or opinion about it, nor do I feel that it is my role.
Cheers,
Clotilde.
PS: I will add that the above refers to what I post on the *blog*: I am more than open to anyone discussing anything they wish to discuss here on the forums (provided it remains an open and respectful conversation of course).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: