Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Which cookbook do you use the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galley Girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Mayfair Market Reply with quote

If I remember right they were bought out by Alpha Beta which was then gobbled up by Von's which is now owned by Safeway... and so it goes. Confused
Filipe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "number one" cookbook - a portuguese classic - is called "Livro de Pantagruel", early made in the 50's I guess, and been actualized for a few times. It's a like a "desperate housewives encyclopedia" eheh

Does anyone here have the "El Bulli" books collection? The 2003-2004 issues were out in the beggining of November, can't wait to go to Madrid and buy them there
snowboardergirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite cookbook is The Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana Kennedy. The recipes are so delicious and you also learn alot about mexican food in general and all the different chili peppers, dried and fresh. My family loves mexican food the best, especially the spicier the better. She has one recipe in there called "Enchiladas de Santa Clara" a type of cheese enchilada, that is just the best in the world.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Snowboardergirl! I *love* Diana Kennedy's books on Mexican cusine! I have Cuisines of Mexico & Recipes from the Regional Cooks of Mexico. My books are battered, dogeared & stained -- they've seen a lot of use. Her recipes for chiles rellenos & sopa ranchera are 2 of my favorites.
dbd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cookbook I really like and might interest Clotilde is Daniel Boulud's Café Boulud cookbook, which is made up of French recipes written for American readers. The "Root vegetable cassoulet" is terrific, Boulud says he wouldn't dare serve it in Toulouse but my Toulousain husband loves it!
Neil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Most used cookbooks Reply with quote

I frequently use both of Mark Bittman's book "The Miniminalist Cooks" and "How to Cook Everything". I have been recently introduced to John Ash and his "Cooking One on One" is fast becoming a favorite. But for the last 30 some years the first place I usually go is the Time-Life series "The Good Cook", which I purchased in the late 1960's. I find it a good place to go get ideas.
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: root vegetable cassolet Reply with quote

Hi dbd,
any chance of you posting this root vegetable recipe for us?
Hope so
minkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the Moosewood books have been mentioned a few times. I am pretty much a novice cook, and always pressed for time. The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home is the book I turn to most often -- definitely made more than 8 recipes from this one. Everything is simple and quick and simple and fun. Now I have discovered The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and I'm excited to try the Pumpkin Tureen recipe!

Reading everybody's picks has really increased the length of my wish list!

Has anyone used Vegetables in the French Style by Roger Verge? This is one I have been wanting to get...
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Parisian Home Cooking by Michael Roberts. Not a dud in the bunch! I have been slowly making my way through the recipes to high praise from family and friends. The little Astuces for different recipes are very interesting and informative.

The other book I love - especially for the writing, Clothilde - is Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook. I don't think you are quite as profane as he is, but he is down to earth and makes everything seem easy to do. He breaks recipes down into steps, some to be done over the course of days. He assumes you are fearless in the kitchen - and consequently, I feel fearless!

I love the Silver Palate recipes, but the cookbooks themselves are a little to frou-frou for my taste. There's a little too much advice on how to live the "perfect" life - including hanging a big, thirsty terrycloth bathrobe in the bath for overnight guests and chocolates on the pillow! Give me a break! I'm just trying to come up with a nice dinner here!

Donna
dbd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Daniel Boulud's Root vegetable cassoulet Reply with quote

I found the recipe for the root vegetable cassoulet at
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8787,00.html

another really good recipe I have used from this cookbook is the oven roasted vegetable casserole:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/1999/cafe/vegetable.html
chucha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would definitely see my favorite books in this conversation, but they got no mention at all!

Truly delicious-- not one miss so far and I have made MANY MANY of the recipes in these books.

The Sugar Club Cookbook by Peter Gordon

San Francisco Flavors: Favorite Recipes from the Junior League of San Francisco

for real mexican cuisine, both high and low end, those by Patricia Quintana are excellent!
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some interesting sounding books I'll have to check out.

I agree with Peter - I tend to go in spurts. For the past few months I've been cooking out of Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook - everything I've made has been spectacular, even the simple simple meals.

I also love Michael Roberts Parisian Home Cooking. And the Silver Palate books are falling apart from use. Jane Brody's The Good Food Gourmet is full of interesting and healthy recipes. Yes, I love Richard Olney's books and Simone Beck's also. When I first started cooking my goal was to make every recipe in the first Julia Child book - got maybe 1/3 of the way through - and then realized it was just TOO complicated for every day or even every week!
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use too many resources to begin to list them here.. favourites though, old cookbooks and old hand-me-down recipes. Nostalgia.

Les Halles was Christmas present that I have yet to cook from.. it awaits me post thesis. From Donna's recommendation, now I can't wait.

For anyone who has thought of cooking all of Julia Child's recipes.. madness surfaces in all of us from time to time.. Here is a book I am thinking about picking up (from a small local bookshop, not Amazon) for my next Auckland to Toronto flight in 2 months time.

Julie and Julia

tagline: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen

and 25 hours to read it in.. Rolling Eyes

Any reviews??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031610969X/102-5439228-5183358?v=glance&n=283155

Not to get off topic.. please post review in other things.. thanks Smile
the clean plate club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, your flight will simply FLY by if you pack Julie and Julia. And then you'll become addicted to Julie Powell's blog, which she hasn't updated in more than a year...but the entries add to the book, so it's not like the book is just her blog, bound up and fancified with a slick book jacket.

But you shouldn't wait. Two months is a long time! Read it now! Come on, it's about a woman who worked her way through how many pounds of butter in a year? Save the deprivation.
jenjen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite cook books are

My View by [b]Shannon Bennett [/b](www.vuedemonde.com.au) and an excellent guide to modern french food, I highly recommend it to CnZ readers!

Tetsuya by [b]Tetsuya Wakuda [/b](www.tetsuyas.com) is another favourite of mine

also

Cuisine Imaginaire by Roselyne Masselin [/b]](publisher BBC) for complex French vegetarian food - this are dinner party recipes.

The magazine Delicious and Donna Hay are very basic publications. Personally I read books so I can construct more difficult recipes and refine my technique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: