Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving...isn't it the best holiday? No presents to buy, just two days off, and a great meal. What's not to love?...unless you have to travel long distances to spend it with relatives you don't like!

So here's a turkey day topic: what are you eating, and with whom?

When I was in the US our tradition was to co host with a friend...she had a large kitchen and dining room, loved to decorate the house and host but didn't really like to cook while I loved to cook but couldn't host a huge number of people, so...we'd invite thirty friends, she'd spend the day getting the house perfect and I'd spend the day (and generally a few evenings before, cooking...it always turned out great.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a topic, Btw Art Buchwald says that "this is the one day we eat better than the French do" for funny essay see
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/23/opinion/edbuchwald.php

This thanksgiving we are eating with friends. we will be dining on turkey, oyster dressing Mac & cheese artichoke casserole, pumpkin pie, spicy pumpkin soup, sweet potatoes, with pineapple and merengue topping

will be bringing the soup and the sweet potatoes (no beta-carotine shortage today)

Here's to a delecious, safe, and thankful holiday for everyone!!!
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having dinner with my family at my stepbrother's house. I don't know what everyone is making, but I'm bringing a sweet potato pie. The taters just came out of the oven--I roasted them for nearly two hours on low heat. Right now, the graham cracker crust is baking in there, and then I will be making the filling.
varnadore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will go to my brothers. There will be 11 of us I think, a little smaller than usual. One think we have outside the standards is a shrimp cocktail starter. We used to have Dinner at my Aunts and then instead of taking leftovers home she had a casual open house on saturday called "Leftover Day" so wherever that day took you, to the movies, shopping, decorating for Christamas you could stop in and have a sandwich or the full meal. This facilitated spending a little more time with the family at the house and usually little groups then planned other things like going shopping together or to a movie before or after stopping by Aunt Bev's. We are all a little more spread out now so it's harder to meet up like that but usually my cousin will meet up with us and go to the movies on Saturday.
simona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very happy and delicious thanksgiving to all our friends in the US.

Simona
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very Happy Thanksgiving from Down Under!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to our off-shores pals for Thanksgiving wishes. It's a lovely holiday (if you're ever in a need for another one...). My favorite, in fact.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thanksgiving went off without a hitch I am happy to say. My friends got in the day before, and we had a small birthday celebration for my close friend. I made Thai food and birthday cake, then we saw Pride and Prejudice, (if you know Jane Austen don't bother). On the day in question we had seven total at our house as we ate, drank and laughed. The turkey with pancetta stuffing went over extremely well, although my favorite item was Ina Garten's cauliflower gratin, (David, if you haven't tried it yet, you should). Now, everyone is gone and I have already begun the Christmas madness. I know it's early, but what can I say I'm a Christmas baby, almost.

"It's hot ham water."
eileen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy thanksgiving to y'all!
i've just come home from an american friend's celebration in belgium - and i am 'in the zone.' (i.e. if i were in america, i think i would now be reclining in a la-z-boy chair with the sounds of football lulling me to sleep).

thoughts and good wishes - to all humans out there who are not able to share feasts with loved ones (thanksgiving and otherwise); and to those of you who cherish and give thanks for what you have.

with friendly greetings,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: