Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

"Like Water For Chocolate" Quail And Rose Sauce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: "Like Water For Chocolate" Quail And Rose Sauce Reply with quote

For those of you who drooled over the scenes of Tita cooking that Quail in Rose Sauce... I just found this online:

LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE - ROSE QUAIL RECIPE

Submitted by Pam Hayes-Bohanan

My husband and I recently made a delicious dinner by adapting the recipe for quail-in-rose-petal sauce found in the novel Like Water for Chocolate. The book gives the ingredients, but doesn't tell how to make it. We used chicken instead of quail and changed some of the other ingredients, and figured out on our own how to put them together.

Ingredients:
1/2 dozen red rose buds
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons anis

Chop the roses into small pieces and grind in blender with the almonds and garlic. Melt the butter and add honey. Stir the rose, garlic and almond mixture into the honey and butter. Add the cornmeal and anis. The mixture will be a thick paste. Use a spoon to spread onto the chicken. Bake the chicken as usual, basting if the coating gets too dry. The rose petals and anise will infuse the chicken with wonderful flavor.

Use additional rose buds or petals as a garnish when presenting the chicken.

After we ate we watched the movie based on the book for an unforgettable romantic evening.

http://www.theromantic.com/stories/flowerpetals/flowers2.htm

If anyone has the original recipe from the book, could you post it please?
Coco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another entry from this link: http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r773.html

Adapted from Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments, with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies)

My local Middle Eastern store had plenty of rose water on hand. I ordered the edible roses from Heart of Texas Produce, a specialty food company in Austin. Tita's recipe also calls for pitaya, a delicious type of cactus fruit. But pitaya was out of season, so I substituted a dark red prickly pear fruit puree. You can also use frozen raspberries

6 quail
3 T butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c dry sherry
Petals of 6 fresh, organic red roses
6 peeled chestnuts (boiled, roasted or canned)
1 clove garlic
1/2 c pitaya or red prickly pear fruit puree (or substitute raspberries)
1 T honey
1/2 tsp ground anise seed

Rinse the quail and pat dry. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and lightly brown the birds on all sides. Add sherry and salt and pepper the quail. Lower the heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Turn the quail, cover and cook another 10 minutes. Remove the quail, reserving the pan juices.

Rinse the rose petals in cold water. Place half the petals in the blender, with remaining ingredients and the pan juices. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a sauce pan and simmer 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with more salt, pepper and/or honey. Pour sauce over quail and sprinkle with the remaining rose petals.

------------------------------------------------------

(**I used to help pluck the feather from quail that my uncles would 'bag' when they went out hunting. I loved eating them... until I became "aware" they were "cute little birds" Shocked ... adios, quail eating!) Razz Coco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: