Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Fruitcake--monstrous or marvelous??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Fruitcake--monstrous or marvelous?? Reply with quote

CBC Radio had a few people on the other morning debating the merits or lack thereof of Christmas Fruit Cake. Now I come down very heavily on the "marvelous" side of the equation---but only if the cake is very dark and very moist, I firmly believe the current tendency to "lighten" everything will one day lead to the extinction of many a fine traditional food andfruit cake would be one of the first to go (right after plum pudding). Any thoughts dear readers??
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely *like* fruitcake too, David. And of all the things that can go in a fruitcake, candied citron is my fave! But I wonder if there's a more calorie-laden food?! So, in the end, I'd brave the disapproval of all and sundry but the calorie count of even a very small fruitcake (that I'd, no doubt, end up finishing myself) is more than I can handle. I'm reduced to hoping for an invite to someplace where they're serving up a good one. Wink

PS I used to *love* those CBC segments where listeners record their memories. One of my favorites: the worst birthday present your mother made you take to a birthday party. So sweet and funny! I was humiliated again along with every single listener! And I was sooo impressed with how bright and literate the listener contributions always were.

I thought CBC had redesigned their programming tho. I had heard they were modeling their day after the commercial stations so they would fit in as background workplace music rather than the more nostalgic, the avant-garde and that which requires more active listening... Glad to think they're still working in those wonderful interactive segments!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: fruit cake..plum puddings.. Reply with quote

David Dear! what's > MARVELLOUS!!! Give me a dense as all get out fruit cake...absolutely has to be moist...I don't see the point in eating something that simply crumbles from your mouth...

At the moment I can hear the "double the mixture" plum pudding boiling away...1.7 kgs of fruit, 10 cups breadcrumbs, 10 eggs, ...spices..great fun! Do you know of the tradition of having a piece of 12 different Christmas fruit cakes. When you do that, the coming 12 months should be a walkover. It's a good luck thing.

My cake for my father is still in the tin from yesterday...I came across some baking tips from the head of the Country Women's Association...she suggested to wrap the outside of the tin with 10 layers of newspaper, and to place a magazine on a tray, then the cake tin...to prevent the cake browning too quickly ..before the inside has cooked. I was a little wary! My dad was a little worried..."you're not cooking it in my oven are you?"...I used a newspaper folded over so the bottom of the tin covered the wad of paper.

The cake smells scrumptious. As soon as I took it from the oven, I poured a liberal amount of whiskey over it...then immediately wrapped the tin in foil, then tea towels, then a big towel for good measure. This process keeps the steam in to keep the cake moist.

I loveeeeeeeeeee Christmas baking. German Christmas Star Cookies tomorrow, for friends. Fruitmince pies for my dad on Saturday...and my dears..all this in Oz heat.....
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruitcakes I hate: dry, overcooked, with candied fruits in totally unnatural colors (bright green candied pineapple, anyone?)

Fruitcakes I love: dense, moist, smelling of spices, well-aged with the spirit of one's choice, full of candied citrus peel in natural colors, dried fruit, nuts, candied ginger.
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a fruitcake fan....why not just have cake with real fruit on top????
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No madame shawshank, I've not heard of the 12 different chrismas cake tradiotion! Sounds tremendously excessive and perfectly delightful. Many of my Ukrainian friends still do the tradional 12 meatless dishes on Christmas Eve though.

Rainey---what CBC did was split into 2 stations, CBC 1 is mostly talk radio, the one you remember so well, and CBC 2, known as "the classics and beyond" is more or less a classical music station with shows of other styles tossed in around their schedule. Glad you enjoyed it, it has been a lifesaver at times!
Mats

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Fruit Cake Reply with quote

melinda wrote:
not a fruitcake fan....why not just have cake with real fruit on top????

Melinda, isn't that a bit like saying "Why ferment this grape juice when you can have it fresh?". The object of the fruit cake is to create a different taste/texture entirely from fresh fruit.
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mats! That is a brilliant simile. Thank you!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact I just made fruit cake for my neighbors! I don't use candied fruit that you can see through, but an assortment of dried fruit, ginger and finely chopped nuts. The cake is very moist from the rum and farm fresh cider. I also use fresh whole spices that I blend and grind specially. This cake was fun to make and wonderful to eat!

My grandmothers cake had the nasty fruit and whole nuts, I mean who wants to bite into an entire brazil nut in their cake! I still ate it though, because she soaked those things with so much liquor you could be arrested for driving!

"It's hot ham water."
goddess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the firm belief that there is only 1 fruitcake in existence, and it just keeps getting sent around from person to person
swan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very easy, to live in a country without a fruitcake tradition... Smile
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But goddess, it would never make it past me! We started eating our first Christmas cake on Sunday, served up with a generous slice of sharp aged Canadian cheddar.
Julianne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the stuff. I've just cut into my "white" fruitcake, which is based on a creme fraiche batter and loaded with sultanas, dried cherries, apricots, almonds, and undyed glace cherries (which aren't fashionable, but do have their purpose) before being soaked in kirsche. It is SO moist, and SO fragrant...but then, I like dried fruit in almost any form.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However you feel about fruitcake you'll be charmed, I'm sure, by our favorite monkey's fruitcake adventure. http://www.himonkey.net/holiday/xmas/fcw/index.html

I know you'll enjoy seeing monkey and maybe it will bring monkey back to play with us a bit! Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first taste of my own fruit cake last night, and it was good.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: