Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ice Cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilobyte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Ice Cream Reply with quote

Here are a couple of non-conventional, yet very tasty ice cream flavors I've made recently and simona suggested I post here. I have a brief description of my opinion of these two recipes under the homemade ice cream thread in Cooking & Eating Forum. Does anyone else make their own ice cream at home?

Guinness Ice Cream

12 ounces Guinness stout
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
6 egg yolks

In a large saucepan, simmer the Guinness until reduced by 3/4 in volume, about 8 minutes. Combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the vanilla bean halves. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and add the Guinness reduction, whisking until well blended. Pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.

Avocado Ice Cream

4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted & chopped
1 C whipping cream
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/4 C freshly squeezed lime juice

In a food processor or blender, puree all ingredients until smooth. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturerÂ’s instructions.

Last edited by trilobyte on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness Ice Cream! That is awesome!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Guinness joke :-) Reply with quote

After the Great Britain Beer Festival, in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

The guy from Corona sits down and says, "Hey Senor, I would like the world's best beer, a Corona."
The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

The guy from Budweiser says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser."
The bartender gives him one.

The guy from Coors says, "I'd like the only beer made with Rocky Mountain spring water, give me a Coors."
He gets it.

The guy from Guinness sits down and says, "Give me a Coke."
The bartender is a little taken aback, but gives him what he ordered.

The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask "Why aren't you drinking a Guinness?" and the Guinness president replies, "Well, I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I."
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: PINK PEPPERCORN ICE CREAM Reply with quote

Another unusual but yummy flavor: PINK PEPPERCORN ICE CREAM

I have also made this flavor in a non-custard fashion sans egg yolks and no cooking - just as good, just not as rich.

PINK PEPPERCORN ICE CREAM
Despite their name, pink peppercorns aren't really peppercorns, but rather dried berries from a rose plant. They add a hint of color and a spicy floral note to this delicious ice cream. Grind a few of the peppercorns over the top for a pretty garnish.
This recipe is an accompaniment for Warm Chocolate Tarts.

2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup pink peppercorns, crushed (about 1/2 ounce)
7 large egg yolks

Bring milk, cream, sugar, and peppercorns to boil in heavy large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; let stand at room temperature 1 hour for flavors to blend.
Bring milk mixture to simmer. Whisk egg yolks in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolks. Return mixture to pan and stir over medium heat until finger leaves path on back of spoon when drawn across, about 3 minutes (do not boil). Strain custard into large bowl; cover. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container; cover and freeze. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.)

Makes about 6 cups.
Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
September 2004
ChickaLicious, New York, NY
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I'm ordering from Penzey's right now. I use a 4 peppercorn blend but, for some reason, I'm just not up for picking out a half and ounce of pink ones.... Shocked

I'm also wondering, from your description, how I might add rosehips. I've never cooked with rosehips. I've always wanted to do some rosehips jam but I couldn't come up with a cupful at once if I tried. I could gather a handful as an accent to ice cream, tho.
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Guiness Ice cream, it is lovely. A maltier version of one Andy is doing at Neustadt Brewery in Neustadt, Ontario. And a lovely malted yoghurt. Had the pleasure of both this summer. Yum.

Here is the Parmigiano Reggiano "Ice Cream"

1 cup heavy cream
2 cloves of garlic peeled and sliced in half lenghtwise
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
2 c grated Parmigiano Reggiano (get the real stuff, go big or go home Smile)

Bring the cream, garlic and nutmeg to a boil in a heavy saucepan over med-high heat - watching constantly.

Remove garlic from cream and add the cheese a half cup at a time with constant stirring until cheese is incorporated.

Continue stirring for about a minute until cheese is melted.

Remove from heat and pour into a shallow heat resistant dish. Cool to room temperature then cover dish and refrigerate until cheese stiffens.

Scoop portions of "gelato" onto serving dishes, drizzle with balsamic reduction (only a few drops) or with a good quality balsamico.

Serve with: mulitgrain or raisin crusty bread, red grapes, pear/apple slices, walnuts, arugula or other spicy greens. Serves 6

Source:
Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano, Reggio Emilia, Itaila
Nancy Radke, Author
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Leo. I seem to have been asleep at the wheel and missed this until now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: