Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

foodie movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: foodie movies Reply with quote

Would anyone like to nominate their favourite foodie movies. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions. My all time favourite is the Japanese movie "Tampopo", followed closely by "Babette's Feast".
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: foodie movies Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
by "Babette's Feast".

Yes, Babette's Feast was a good one. Another very good cooking cum eating film was "Opening Night" about two Italian brothers trying to make it in NY with a real restaurant. They cook up another (like the one in Babette) spectacular feast for a big group. Splendid. The closing scene in the kitchen the next morning when he prepares scrambled eggs looks like it was filmed without break and with a continuous camera. It is perfect.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed "Like Water for Chocolate" mainly for the use of rose petals with quail.
I also love Chocolat! I am currently dreaming of the day my husband retires from the Coast Guard and I can become a master chocolatier, (a very new dream). I love the scenes when they are grinding the cacao. OOOH and the savory chocolate sauce with QUAIL!!!

Does anyone know any good savory chocolate recipes besides mole? If so would you post it in the "Chocolate" thread?

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic topic, Barbara - well done!

I loved Babette's Feast and Big Night (as it was called in Oz- funny how different countries have different movie titles sometimes, isn't it?) That final scene was one of the best I've seen in a movie. And having the gorgeous Isabella Rossellini in it was an added bonus.

"Eat Drink Man Woman" is another favourite. The shots of the chef chopping vegetables were amazing. I swear that at the end of the movie I could smell Chinese food - I reckon the local Chinese restaurant had somehow piped in Chinese food smells to make the audience hungry!

I even got excited seeing Charlie Trotter for a split second at the start of "My Best Friend's Wedding"!

Has anyone seen Dinner Rush? I missed it when it was showing a couple of years ago.
kiki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: foodie movies Reply with quote

I'll add a recent Greek movie called: Touch of Spice / "Politiki Kouzina". In Greek the name is 'political kitchen'. It's a political reference to the Greek community in Istanbul and is full of the awe inspiring cooking scenes. Istanbul is still called Constantinople in Greek and the title also refers to the way Greeks call the cooking of that region, "Politiki" cuisine, with means 'from the city of Constantinople'.

Yummy stuff. I'm not sure if it's been released in the US yet.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of Touch of Spice but will look out for it. (Thanks Kiki). I enjoyed Dinner Rush - I'm told it was filmed in a restaurant in NY owned by the director of the movie. Loved Opening Night and Chocolate also. I had forgotten about Like Water for Chocolate so thanks for reminding me - I'll search it out on DVD and watch it again over the holidays.
Karen V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: foodie movies Reply with quote

I'm new to this blog (love it!) and enjoyed the movie recommendations. Babette's Feast and Chocolat are two of my all-time favorites (and the only DVD I own is Chocolat, which says it right there). Tonight I'm going to try to rent a couple from the various suggestions.

There are two other movies that I have not seen but probably should make the list: "A Chef in Love" and "Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" Has anyone seen these?
wasabi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: foodie movies Reply with quote

great topic Barbara!

i think it's safe to say that i've loved every food movie i have seen. Eat, Drink, Man, Woman is great, as is Tampopo...Big Night (that huge timpano!), Babette's Feast, Chocolat, and Mostly Martha (Bella Martha in Europe, I think)

I know that Monsoon Wedding isn't really a food movie, but I have to credit it for making me crave anything heady with spices...everyone was eating samosas, the mango popsicle on a crowded street, and marigold petals for love! that's sensuality.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is a stretch but The Grinch Who Stole Christmas has a nice dinner scene.

There is a Tracy and Hepburn movie where she plays a successful business woman who tries to make a suitable wife for Tracy. One morning she's in his vintage 1950s kitchen trying to make breatfast and things are going very badly. I enjoyed seeing all the old appliances and kitchen gadgets.

Another "dinner" movie is a rare one: My Dinner with Andre. It's about 15 years old and a very interesting, quirky film which takes place in a NYC restaurant at a table.

Godfather I has many eating scenes as well.
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Chocolat for me! The great birthday party scene outdoors at the long trencher with Judy Dench at the head is delicious!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: chocolate! Reply with quote

David, did you know the weather was atrocious during the filming of that scene?...gum boots, mud, and no sun...all done by lighting! Judi Dench..what performances she hands to us...

and Mr Depp playing that guitar! oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erin...I've come across this posting somewhere..it may be of interest..

Heston Blumenthal at The Fat Duck has become famous for his experiments with chocolate. Allegedly, the most peculiar success is white chocolate with black Russian caviar. Recently he received his third Michelin star.

In Spain it seems like a new trend to serve bitter chocolate with Bellota ham from Pata Negra pork. I've also heard of a Norwegian Chocolate connaisseur who combines chocolate with foie gras and chocolate.

In truffles savory ingredients are well known. The most odd combinations I've heard of though are fleur de sel and tandoori/coconut.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, I can always count on you! Last night I gave my neighbor a box of truffles, some plain, some cayenne and some fleur de sel! She loved them! I will have to look these people up!

I agree with you on Judy Dench she is wonderful. Johnny Depp mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

"It's hot ham water."
PazzaRagazza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: foodie movies Reply with quote

Mmm.. The (Edit) Chinese film Eat Drink Man Woman is a good culinary flick, as is Bella Martha (Mostly Martha?)
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks madameshawshank--had no idea, they did a great cover-up!

Depp in anything!!!!!
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolat and Big Night were much fun.

I have to say I have a weak spot for mafia movies and each one has a big pasta-cooking scene! Mm.

Godfather I
Goodfellas (with the garlic cut with a razor)
Prizzi's Honor

Also, Joy Luck Club--so many long discussions based around preparing big Chinese dinners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: