Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

De-accumulating books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: De-accumulating books Reply with quote

I have more books than I need. I just discovered this interesting place to swap paperbacks for just the price of postage (sorry, I don't know anything about how they handle exchanges outside the US but I invite you to stop by and ask/see). http://www.paperbackswap.com
swan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is smart. Too bad we don't have that here, in the Netherlands, or within Europe. A friend of mine used to have a quiz every now and then on his blog and would give out no longer used CD's or books as prizes, or would make a list of ten and the one who came up with the best reason to receive one did so. Very friendly Wink
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another neat way to dispose of books (and without accumulating more) can be found at www.bookcrossing.com With this plan one "releases" books in public spaces after having registered the book with the group, you can then, if you are lucky actually track the book as it goes from place to place!
Monica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was going to recommend bookcrossing - no postage, just find creative spots to 'release' the books! One really easy place I leave them is propped up in the elevator of the buildings I manage. Tenants are sure to pick them up. To facilitate things, I made stickers on my computer for the books (explains the concept). Other popular release spots are benches in parks and museums, coffee shops and 'themed' releases. For example, leaving a cookbook near a kitchen-supply shop... As if any of us willingly part with cookbooks... Laughing

Oh, and swan - there are over six thousand bookcrossing members in the Netherlands! Perhaps swaps and meets are held near your town.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David and Monica-

Thanks for that idea. That would be great for better cookbooks. Cookbooks are a little problematical since they tend to be large, hardcover (heavy) and more expensive to mail. But I could put them outside a local Williams-Sonoma with a note.

...of course in our climate of hysteria I can just imagine the mall being evacuated and the bomb squad being called in to defuse my ancient copy of The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Elizagard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Too too Reply with quote

This is a continual problem for me. I have 8 bookcases and still run out of room! One solution is a nearby used bookstore which takes paperbacks in trade. They give you credit for half the cover price. You can purchase books using half credit and half cash. There are probably stores like this in many cities. Plus there is no shipping cost!

For hardbacks and paperbacks the other store won't take (they already have it), there are other used bookstores or I donate to the library. I also plan to donate books on tape, CDs I no longer use, DVDs, and so on.
varnadore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of book crossing. Last year when my PTSA hosted the kids table at our farmers market we de-booked our kids book collections as a summer book to the kids who came by. Book crossing would have added a really fun demention to that.
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rainey-

this is a GREAT site - for someone who always has too many books! I am deeply committed to "de-accumulating"!

I'd like to register and put you down as the referral. Is "Rainey" your profile nickname on that site?

Donna
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna- I think it's my email addie which is lAutreRainey@yahoo.com. Thanks – that's kind of you.

Also I have some PMs here on C&Z that I still haven't gotten to. Embarassed Today was going to be a day to catch up on correspondence but now it's a day to wrap up books that I already have new owners for. Confused Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: