Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

on this day in 1924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: on this day in 1924 Reply with quote

George Gershwin completed Rhapsody in Blue. Worth celebrating eh!

Ira gave the composition its title.....simply looking at Rhapsody in Blue..typing the words...drinking them in...changes me somehow...am all the better for it..

During The Festival of Sydney (all through January) open air concerts are held in a big area known as The Domain. This year a night of Gershwin, and a night of jazz
(from the festival webpage)

As people begin to look to the future, Sydney Festival welcomes three of Louisiana’s most brilliant musical ensembles, brought together for this one-time only celebration of all that is great about New Orleans. For one extraordinary night in the Domain, Sydneysiders can enjoy a century of world-class New Orleans music, with the authenticity of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, the big sound of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, and the Mardi Gras excitement of Terrance Simien. The bands will be joined on stage by special guests.

how about this George 'n jazz link via a George quote..
“Life is a lot like jazz.. it's best when you improvise.”

may this day be extra special for you all....rhapsodic in fact!

am planning to be at the Domain for both concerts..golly gosh, how many years have I been doing this Wink a truly scrumptious Sydney tradition...I will imagine the folk of chocolate and zucchini (those who enjoy Gershwin and jazz!) with me...hugs
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: on this day in 1924 Reply with quote

Oh, I'm jealous. Open-air concerts are rather impossible this time of year.

And Gershwin is one of my all-time favorite composers.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An even bigger anniversary is coming on 27 January (or around that date): Mozart's 250th year since birth, 1756. There's also Schumann born in 1856 and Shostakovich born in 1906.
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame S -

We try to see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band every year in June (they usually come for Father's Day) at Stern Grove - a beautiful eucalyptus grove near the beach in San Francisco. It is a specatular venue for free outdoor concerts - even in our foggy summer weather! (Picture picnics in parkas!)

So I will definitely be thinking of you at that outdoor concert with one of my favorite groups! I read recently that after Katrina struck and Preservation Hall was closed, the band went on tour and a portion of their revenue is going back to the reconstruction of New Orleans. Maybe PestoMan can enlighten us further!

Have a deliriously lovely evening! It's cold and rainy here today, so I'm jealous on two counts!
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that is one of the things which I do really miss about living in Sydney..... sigh.

Please have an extra rapture (and glass of bubbly Wink ) for me.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that will be easy peasy Debbie!...the rains are falling...so might be wet wet wet as they say Wink all the more fun....a Sydney Woodstock
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, this reminds me of one of my favourite CDs - the Glory of Gershwin, Larry Adler accompanying contemporary singers singing Gershwin songs. Made about 10 years ago to celebrate Adler's 80th birthday. It's wonderful!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the woodstock mud fights/wrestling on good ole Synder's farm. And I only saw the after-effects! (well, and the tv pics). The place was destroyed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: