Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Simple, fresh French food cookbook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scazza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Simple, fresh French food cookbook? Reply with quote

Just found C&Z, and I made the Gâteau au Yaourt and Coquillettes au Comté et Pousses d'Epinard for dinner. I realise that this kind of simple, fresh food is just like what I used to have at my favorite restaurant in Chicago, Lula Cafe. The chefs there trained in France, but I know nothing about French food. So, I need suggestions.

I'm an experienced baker and cook, and generally stick to authentic Italian, Saveur, Nigella, and Deborah Madison. I need just a lovely heap of simple French recipes.

Thank you!
birgit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you like markets you might like this: Michael Roberts "Parisian Home Cooking"
Alisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have suggestions!!!!
First a little background to justify my opinion: I am American, have been married to a Frenchman for the past 12 years and living in France for the past 3 years.

I highly recommend "Saveur Cooks Authentic French" cookbook. Every time I make something from this book, I think that it is really good, and every French person that eats what I make from this book, says something along the lines of...."oh my god, this is so good, how did you know how to make this? It is just like my mom's" Or something close to that. BUT it is not super simple, but easier than Bouchon.

“Bouchon” by Thomas Keller, I really like too, it is not simple, but much more do-able than his “French Laundry” cookbook with wonderful results and a great read in general.

Patricia Wells has quite a few cookbooks about French food, and although I haven't made anything from them (I don't own them....yet) I have often had things made by friends from her books and they have been great. I am told that her recipes are simple.
Vickie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scazza!

I'm a big fan of Raymond Blanc - I've had great success with Simple French Cookery: Step by step to everyone's favourite French recipes and also his Blanc Vite: Fast Fresh Food with Raymond Blanc. Love the food - love his restaurant too!

Let us know how you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: