Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Baby Shower
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin-
I totally agree with you about the horror of shower games, and I have given a couple showers with none. But if you have to, another one that is not too irksome (and is about foood!) is to remove the labels from jars of baby food, and people try to guess what's inside. I don't know why, but the muck somehow looks even worse when you don't know what it's supposed to be -- so if you are giving the food mill it will be even more appreciated!

Another gift that I personally loved is a bathtub thing - it suctions onto the bottom of the tub, and helps baby sit up. Makes it easy to wash baby and less stressful for mom or dad to hang out and let let them splash for a while. This is for babies who can sit up -- about 5 months old and up.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, What culture are you from? That is really interesting.

David, belly buttons freak me out.......shiver.

Minkey, I think my mom had one of those tubs. Maybe I could fill it with all the other presents.

The wheels are turning.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Well, okay, it's not a GENERAL custom here but I do have a number of feminist/pagan friends who invite their women friends over for an evening burial of the child's umbilical cord a few months after birth.

I'm laughing 'cause when we had our second one, we carefully prepared 4yo Rachel for what would happen. What she got out of all of it was that the placenta would also be delivered — after the baby. So, when Galen was born, to our great surprise, Rachel's attention was riveted not on the baby but on the placenta. Mabbee because that was last it was the climax of events? I dunno. She was very disturbed that the midwife took the placenta away. She didn't say, but I wondered if she would happily have traded off Galen... Shocked
minkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh -- I actually think there is a tribe in my area that does something like what David describes. I think it is the Hopi, and I think that they bury the umbilical cord at the family home, in the belief that this ties the child to the home and s/he will always come back. Kinda sweet, I thought...
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are others who plant it along with a tree or a rose bush so that the child and the tree/rose grow together.
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Rainey... can't type... laughing too hard... Laughing That is just like a child isn't it. I can just imagine the look on her face "what, you mean we keep "that" part?!?" Shocked

That food puree thingy is fabulous!!!!!!! I have never seen one before. Had always known people to use a bamix or moulinex. What a brilliant gift for a new Mum! I am tempted to get one for my girlfriend and one to keep here. You have no idea the amount of time we spend babysitting everyones kidlets. It would be a godsend for my poor wrists (I don't have any nice electric type gadgets... just forks, spoons and seives....Crying or Very sad )

Sorry Erin.... yes nappies are diapers..... some words just don't work and you don't think about it till afterwards....

Those nappies that Rainey mentioned are great also. We actually bought some for a friend. At the time they weren't in Australia and we had to order them from the UK and pay an absolute fortune (the AUSD compared to the pound is not good news...). But worth every cent. I don't recall their babies getting nappyrash either and it was probably as you said, because the baby wasn't in a plastic wrap. Disposable nappies are convenient, but still not right on so many levels.... but every woman for herself and if it works for you use it.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I have some new ideas for the baby showers coming up now!

P.s. Simona. Really like the idea of the party and the nursery being set up after the birth. It is too traumatic to have an empty nursery and to have to pack everything away afterwards. Very sensible and sensitive.
MJBodell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Erin"]MJ, What culture are you from? That is really interesting.

I am a western Sikh.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up during the war years when the Philippines was occupied so there were no baby showers nor bridal showers but later, we pretty much follow the custom in the United States.

Like Rainey, my children grew up knowing wet as they used cloth diapers and ate foods prepared from my kitchen brought home from farmer's markets and local produce stores. Although those years were way before yours, Rainey.
Simona, after reading your post, it reminded me of my Navajo friend who never gives a present until after the baby is born - just never done in the Navajo culture. As most of you may know, Navajo Nation is the largest native american tribe in the United States.

Debbie, I like your ideas - I have been enjoying reading your posts and all the activities in Paris. I was hoping to try and hook up with you and others while on a trip there next week but my husband wanted to have some time, too. I'll have to wait until my next trip (he is only allowed to go with me once every five years, ha, ha!)

Erin, enjoy the shower - I am looking forward to read what you and your friend did (no games - like you, I hate them, too). Have fun planning and partying.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I've been a midwife for almost 20 years and being present at the birth of a baby still blows me away - it's one of the most incredible experiences anyone can ever have, both giving birth and attending one. Your friend must love and trust you very much to want you to see her in a state of 'no-control' and 'everything out in the open'. I barely wanted my partner there, let alone anyone else.

We planted my son's placenta in our garden, with a Chinese Paulownia tree, much prized for their timber, flowers, shade and general appeal.

If you are planning on giving baby clothes, I'll echo what other members have said .... give larger sizes, and whatever you do, don't give size 0000. No matter how large or small the baby is when it's born, it will have grown out of size 0000 in the blink of an eye.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,
She is a very wonderful person and incredibly comfortable with everything that goes along with child birth. I have been trying to convince her to become a doula or midwife for a while now. In fact if I ever get over my extreme fear of the whole situation, she would be the first person I would want in the room. I think her asking me to be present is a plan to help me overcome my fear. This woman was born to be a mom.

I am amazed at all of the different cultures and traditions that are displayed on C&Z every single day. I often find myself a little jealous of those who have such strong cultural traditions, I have American traditions but really know little about my roots. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: