Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

And these shall not pass my lips again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: And these shall not pass my lips again! Reply with quote

Okay, now we can't all love everything, but there are few foods I've had (since I outgrew my childhood pickiness) that I would not eat again. And among them are:

Tomato Aspic---it's the texture, don't know what it is about it but it makes me gag.

Andouiette (sp?)--I've tried, honestly I've tried but have come to the conclusion that no matter how often an object is washed it still smells of it's original purpose.

Cowfoot Stew--well the broth and vegies are fine but this is like biting into rubberized glue.

Duck's Feet--a lot of work for no flavour.

McDonald's anything----well, I mean really!
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this being the holiday season, and we're already picking at fruitcakes, I'll go at another holiday food: lutefisk. I have tasted it *once*. I managed to swallow. I just can't get past that 'soaked in lye' part. Nope, never again.

I don't know the proper name for these candies, but they're a marble-sized hard candy, dark color, strong lliquorice/anise flavor. And they're *salty*. Very, very salty. A dish of these "delicacies" was passed around at a party I attended. I have never been so thankful for a paper cocktail napkin. I could not get that thing out of my mouth fast enough! The taste combination was too strange. I understand these are popular with drinks in some European countries. Any of you who are fond of them may have my share.
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any kind of "innards"...although I must admit I haven't really tasted many, it's just a mental block...and anything licorice flavored, and mushrooms.....I know, strange for a "foodie" but never have liked.....not too thrilled about hot dogs either
tea leaves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no fake cherry flavor for me...gag...no cherry jelly beans, no cherry jello, no maraschino cherry, no cherries Garcia ice cream, nada, unless they are real and heaped on a table at the farmers market and dark red to purple. It's a cough syrup thing...
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Brighidsdaughter there are a few memories there! Lutefisk--the first time I had it was at a girlfriend's place on a Christmas Eve, they being traditional Norwegians! We left the Hoiums and went for a walk, I made it two blocks before hurling. I tried it again a few years later at a smorgasbord in Minot, North Dakota, a heavily Norwegian area and vowed never to have it again.

I know those candies as Dutch Licorise and I'll gladly take your share, but what would one drink with them? Aquavit maybe?
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, you're right -- aquavit, and a selection of excellent vodkas as well, all straight from the freezer. Aquavit on it's own, without the candies, is something I can appreciate!

And the lutefisk was made by the first-generation-American (of Swedish parents) wife of my cousin. I think she did this in good-humored retaliation for the ritual consumption of ribbon cane syrup she endured at our family Christmas brunch. Her reaction to that syrup was similar to mine with lutefisk.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: a certain pudding Reply with quote

without looking I knew instantly it was a David posting!...golly the personalities are shining though.. Very Happy

blutwurst...I can seriously do without that...I know I know it's all in the mind stuff....yes I eat lamb, fish, da dee da...however the old blood sausage/pudding, call it what you will...I dunno...there's something about it... Confused

"Gay Bilson's name is synonymous with the revolution in Australian cooking and restaurant life that began in the 1970s. Her food is legendary, as are her informed and passionate observations about food and culture. Plenty is a rare feast for the mind and senses: sharply personal memories and musings, including the years at the Bon Gout, Berowra Waters Inn and Bennelong restaurants in Sydney; perceptive portraits of eminent chefs and food writers; and, throughout, a sustained reflection on the significance of preparing and sharing food.
Gay Bilson's writing is in turn cerebral and sensuous, analytical and celebratory, purposeful and playfully digressive. This book, like the best restaurants, offers pleasure and nourishment in equal measure"

The one and only Gay Bilson organised a feast..I think it was in Canberra, where the theme was the body...the tablecloth was stitched together pieces of tripe...she said it looked like a lunar landscape!...She had intended to made the sausage ~ wait for it ~ from her own blood...she'd spoken with legal folk, medical folk, etc folk...only one of her team was prepared to go along with the idea..and it folded...She has written a truly exquisite book "Plenty"..if you come across it...guaranteed great reading..

I know this is busy busy busy bee time..however if you feel like a break..pour the wine, click on to http://www.abc.net.au/rn/czone/ ~ December 11 interview with Gay Bilson ~ you get a taste of the dame, without actually tasting the pudding!!!

and I can do without spirits..as in drink...can cook with them...the plum pudding fruit was seriously drunk...however to drink..nope..too knock your socks offish for moi..
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with you more about drinking spirits, madame! I've had a couple of dreadful experiences with whiskey - I'm sure I'm allergic to it. Couldn't possibly have been overindulging?!? Wink

Actually, on those couple of occasions it really wasn't due to overindulging. An Irish friend of mine can't BELIEVE anyone could have an allergy to one of Ireland's main food groups, but on the other hand he's probably secretly quite happy - all the more for him!
Magala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewed chicken feet (as dim sum). Ugh! All those tiny knuckle bones!

Strawberry-flavored bubble gum

Cicada cookies (Yes, big red-eyed bugs.) THis was sort of a US east-coast dare during their once-every-fifteen years infestation of periodical cicads. Crispy, muddy yucky flavor.

Goat. So much chewing! Six or seven times the chewing of an equivalent piece of beef.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
Couldn't agree with you more about drinking spirits, madame! I've had a couple of dreadful experiences with whiskey - I'm sure I'm allergic to it. Couldn't possibly have been overindulging?!? Wink

Actually, on those couple of occasions it really wasn't due to overindulging. An Irish friend of mine can't BELIEVE anyone could have an allergy to one of Ireland's main food groups, but on the other hand he's probably secretly quite happy - all the more for him!

You know, there's a current theory (don't know anything about the validity of it and I certainly wouldn't want the responsibility of endorsing it to anyone who has had a problem) that most alcoholism is, in fact, an allergy to vodka. There are people who claim to have been alcoholics who find they are now able to drink alcohol in moderation provided they do not drink the vodka that triggers their out-of-control behavior.

Just a piece of information.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try drinking whisky with Scottish haggis - truly one of the great drink and food matches going.

MacDonald's Big Mac is one of the few things I have been able to keep down while on chemotherapy. The nausea from chemo is a little like morning sickness during pregnacy and I have had cravings for various foods over the past 5 months. For a few weeks I craved Big Macs and really enjoyed them.

Surprisingly any food the slightist bit healthy upsets my stomach. I long for a really good salad and fresh fruit. Lance Armstrong found the same thing when he went through chemo and lived on apple fritters with icing sugar for 6 months.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
Lance Armstrong found the same thing when he went through chemo and lived on apple fritters with icing sugar for 6 months.

Looks like it didn't hurt him one bit!

Barbara, I'm soooo sorry you have to go through this. I'm glad you hear you've found something that works for you and my fingers will be crossed that you get an outcome equally successful as Lance Armstrong's. ...tho we won't hold you responsible for doing any bicycling up the Pyrennes. Wink
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely positively hate eggs. I remember at three loading my plate with ketchup to try and drown out they "flavor" of the scrambled eggs. Then my father bargining with me to just eat the white part of a fried egg. I was a st, am a stubborn person, and I didn't give in.

Bananas make me gag. I will periodicly ingest a banana or an egg to see if I have changed, no progress yet.

I love scallops, but not in sushi form. I was at my favorite sushi joint in Seattle when I tried it and gagged. I turned my head away so the chef would not witness my unintentionally rude behavior only to see that I was seated in the window where several future patrons were reading the menu and ratings. Most of them walked away when then saw me fighting to swallow the offending scallop. They should have thrown me out.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god Erin! Love the sushi story. And I share your problem with bananas, but only very ripe bananas, I don't have a problem with younger ones, but the riper ones give me heartburn +++++

Hey and Barbara, all the best with the chemo, just saw our daughter in law through two rounds and it is not a pretty business!! Strength and MacDonalds will get you by--take good care.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my oldest friends cannot stand bananas; thinks she ate too many when she was a little girl.
I have a real thing with innards, all but liver. But kidneys and all that. Yuck.
I also have a block (I'm sure it's mental, but too bad) against eating horse.
And I hate jello. I guess it's the texture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: