Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

South of France trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulkarn

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are wonderful tips. So helpful. We now have a place in Uzes, chateau d' A...

Trying to find a place to stop along the coast. Found a Best western in Beaulieu but nothing in Antibes so far.

Wedding is in three weeks. We are staying in Lyon for a night, though thanks for your advice not to because my daughter has insisted on it. We gt into paris at 9:30 pm and will stay in an airport hotel and then start south. Now I'm not sure about the TGV. I will print these posts and carry them with me to France.
David

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaulieu---I've seen gorgeous pictures of this place and was on my list of must go to places on our next trip to France, please remember to tell us all about it!

Have a wonderful wedding and a great trip.
pimpille

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Marseillan is between Sete and Agde. It is a small fishermen town.
-Uzès is not in Provence but in the duché d'Uzès - in Languedoc Roussillon. When the duc d'Uzès is in his castle which is situated in the town center, we can see the flag of le duché d'Uzes (and not Provence). I can't tell you whether he was here last week end as I was in Anduze cooling down in the bamboo forest.
- Minkey, you are welcome at home. However if you want to spend your honeymoon quietly, you can stay at l'hôtel Guillem in Montpellier.
- Simona, you gave excellent advice !
- Bulkarn, congratulations ! I hope you will spend a wonderful honeymoon in Provence. Taking the TGV is worth the experience
minkey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pimpille, you are so sweet!!! I will check out that hotel, in case we get in town Very Happy
David

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulkarn---the best restaurant I've ever eaten in is L'Olivier which is located in a tiny village about 4 km out of Uzes, just past the village of Montaren. Truly remarkable. There was also a small tapas restaurant on the main shopping street which was also delightful.
bulkarn

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the tip, David. I just emailed them for a reservation. Sounds wonderful. I'll let you know how we like it.
David

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really hope you enjoy it---and just wait until you get a look at the cheese trolley!
man-from-gard

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently eaten at Chez JuJu and it is not in Sete. It used to be in a shack on the beach at Beauduc around the bay from Stes Maries de la Mer but I understand that the authorities have recently cleared the beach because all the shacks were illegal. The restaurant has now come a little inland and these are the directions. From Arles take the D36 direction Salin de Giraud. Whilst it is not apparent you will be following the Rhone. Just before you enter Salin turn right onto the D36c. After 5 minute you will see a sign for the restaurant on your left, where you will turn right. The telephone number is 0442 86 83 86 and I seem to remember that they are closed Thursday. For what it's worth I wrote about it recently in my blog below.

If you think that your life is boring then read this
http://alex-in-languedoc.blogspot.com
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gorge of Verdun is a beautiful drive. Dinner in the garden of the Colombe D'Or in St Paul-de-vence, lunch by the port in Cassis, Watching the wild horses and pink flamingoes in the Camargue. The Saturday morning Market in Uzés, The Sunday flea market in Isle-sur-la-sorge and lunch at the Jarden du quai. Visit the Roman ruins of Glanum outside of St Remy.
Saskia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the vote for the Camargue. i adored it, especially the village of St Marie de la Mer. Also, if you're into walking (i think i read that) definitely walk from Peille to Peillon. when we lived in Eze this was our absolute favourite thing to do on weekends (along with the walk on the Chemin de Nietzsche, but in july this can be too hot). It has some wonderful restaurants on both sides (i think the best was in Peillon, can't remember the name though) to have sunday lunch and on the way are also some great gorges where one can swim. If you have a day to spare, and enjoy walking... Have fun and enjoy your month in France!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camargue is empty ( of animals), dry and hot in the summer. St. Marie de la Mer is nice, but off the way in your case.
How's planning going on?

No more war, more travelling honeymooners !
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the Camargue beef is wonderful!! Can't remember what it is called though????
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dear David, you're right indeed. the beef is very good as a steak au poivre. But the Flamingos and the wild horses hate the heat and they probably stay in air-conditioned dwellings ,looking with amazement at all these crazy tourists rooming outside under the torrid July-August sun...
How are you?

No more war, no more Al-Zarkawis in this world!! ( well done, America!!)
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the camargue steak is bull and it is excellant. You can see the animals in summer, pink flamingoes, wild white horses and bulls and there is a bird sanctuary. i go every summer for a day trip when in Provence.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Simona, I imagine the heat of high summer in the Camargue would be dreadful, fortunately we always travelled the end of Sept-beginning of Oct thus missing the tourist hordes (except in Avignon which seems always to be over run with us people!) And since we aren't "beach people" we didn't need high temps to be happy. Things go along much the same for us here, i visit him daily but there is no improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: