Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

French Woods, Catskills, New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: French Woods, Catskills, New York Reply with quote

I need some info for my son who will be spending three months working at a childrens' summer camp called French Woods in the Catskills. What is the best form of public transport to get there by? He has a few days before he commences his contract and thought he would spend it in the Catskills. Hancock seems to be the nearest town to the camp. Does anyone know of a backpackers or cheap accommodation in the area?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, I have a friend that lived Upstate for a while and my husband goes on little motorcycle trips around there. I will ask them both this weekend for you.

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public transportation in upstate New York?!?!? Umm, as an upstater, I feel sorry for your boy. He will very shortly learn that a car is a NECESSITY, not a luxury. Based on this, having to find your own transportation is not going to be cheap. However, I assume that he will be flying into New York City, most probably JFK? If so, he needs to expect to be in a bus for a VERY, VERY long time. Tell him to bring LOTS of entertainment. French Woods website says that they organize several pickups at the airport in the days before camp starts. He might want to look into this, if it's possible with his travel plans, as it would be absolutely the easiest, and cheapest, way.

Otherwise, the easiest way that I know of would be to take a taxi from the airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Now, the airport, like in most cities, is outside the main areas. I know that there is a set fare of $45 US TO the airport from Manhattan, plus bridge tolls, which would be about another $10US. However, there is no such break LEAVING the airport, as it is dependent on the speed of traffic and the time of day. He should probably plan on about $70 US to get to the Bus Terminal. From there, he can take a bus to Binghamton, a pretty college town, here is the bus schedule from NYC- Port Authority to Binghamton Trailways Bus Schedule (PDF). From there it's 38 miles to Hancock (according to their website). From Binghamton he has two main options, one would be to get a taxi (notice how I said cars are a necessity?) because the camp is not located within the town and 16 miles is a bit far to be walking. OR he can catch a bus, Hancock has a bus go through twice a day, so depending on when he arrives, and where the bus leaves from, he might have to stay overnight in Binghamton. I'm having trouble coming up w/ a list of stops for the bus, which I assume is run by the county, as it is in most of the neighboring counties. I can place a call later today if you'd like to the town for more information. Hancock Area Chamber of Commerce; Hotels in Monticello

As for things to do in the days beforehand, he seems the artsy type, so a day trip to Woodstock, also you can check this out, More Woodstock, or the local independent radio station WDST. If he wants to go for this, I'd suggest staying in Kingston and taking several daytrips in the area. One to Woodstock, one to New Paltz, Anther college town. Both areas are young towns, where he could wile away an afternoon. If he wants recommendations, PM me. I have to go now and get ready for an exam (eek!), but if you need more info feel free to either post here, PM or email me. And really, I will call about the bus if you like, as I'm sure it would be easier than for you, seeing as you're all the way on the other side of the world! Oh boy, you've got me going now. Rolling Eyes Wink
woodstocker

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a very long post!

ETA: the bus from the Port Authority also goes directly to Kingston, which is about a two hour ride and will cost around $21US each way. There is a Holiday Inn about 3 blocks from the bus station (definitely walkable) and from the same bus station he can catch buses to the different area towns. The trips to New Paltz and Woodstock are both around 20 minutes or so from Kingston, and it would be possible, depending on how much poking around he does, to do both towns in one day, although that would require switching buses in Kingston, as NP is toward the south and Woodstock is west. If I recall correctly, FW takes a day trip or two (I worked at the mall last summer, and I know one of the area camps came for the day), so that might be another way for him to get out. As for hostels and the like, it's mostly city-folk that come up, especially since its summer, so prices are going to be jacked up b/c of tourists. (Hate to say it, but its true.)

Hope this helps some!

PS- And thank you for giving me a reason not to study! (shhh, I know my notes are calling)
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodstoker for the helpful info. It seems a Backpaker Hostel in New York for the few days is going to be his cheapest option. At least there he will meet other young people he can sightsee with. I've also been told there are two buses a day from the Port Authority that go to Hancock and from there a taxi is necessary. He'll just need to make sure he gets out of bed early enough to make it!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was poking around and came across this thread again. Barbara did your son enjoy his time at the camp?
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he did Woodstoker, although it was a bit too cold the first couple of weeks. Even better he loved the week before and week after which he spent in New York. He has convinced me to add New York to my places to visit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: