Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

foodie movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady A, something told me you were a "Godfather" fan. That is my favorite line!

"It's hot ham water."
suki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: cutting garlic with a razor Reply with quote

I've seen the cutting garlic with a razor in a couple of those big gangster movies. I also carry a couple of scalpels around for some REAL sharp cutting (but only when I am going from job to job and not around the streets!!)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Peter Greenaway's 'The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover'. Very odd, of course, but food-related and an unusually exciting film...
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just surfed into the following site and found a list of food movies as well as food in literature, art and music.

http://www.londonfoodfilmfiesta.co.uk/Filmma~1/Foodfi~1.htm
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Amelie isn't a foodie movie, I think it belongs. I love when she sticks her hand in the bin of legumes and cracks the top of the creme brulee. It shows the simple reasons we all enjoy food, the experience! My favorite part is when the delivery guy reveals the treasures he has brought to the old man. How wonderful!

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to add my two cents here. the scene where the artist is making the caviar sandwhich in the film "diva" had me salivating.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape, the Tracy and Hepburn movie you are thinking of is Woman of the Year.

My favorite food movie has to be the one many others have mentioned...Big Night. Honorable mention goes to Mostly Martha--everything in that movie looks scrumptious and it has a great soundtrack! Also in the Small Glimpses of Cooking Category there's a cooking scene at the beginning and very end of City of God. They're chopping carrots and butchering chickens for something that looks like a very good stew.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of a book called Reel Meals by Gayle Poole that discusses food in movies. I'm currently searching for a copy as it sounds like it could be a good read.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebecca wrote:
Sarape, the Tracy and Hepburn movie you are thinking of is Woman of the Year.

Yes, that's the movie. That scene with Hepburn making breakfast in his kitchen that morning was fascinating. Seeing so many small and large kitchen appliances from the 1950s satisfied my love for retro things.

I know I'm getting away from the topic at hand, but weren't those old Hollywood films from the 40s through 50s (and even some in the 60s) wonderful?
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Chabrol's films always seem to have a meal. The family eating scene in Le Divorce was amusing...and if anyone remembers "Tome Jones?"
rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely, Sarape. Hollywood classics are priceless. Who can not love All About Eve (I don't think there's a cooking scene, but there are plenty of cocktail mixing scenes), Sunset Boulevard (ditto) or the Bogart and Bacall (ditto about the cocktails again) movies? There's a magnificent "hippynut" cake in the Judy Garland-MGM musical Meet Me in St Louis. I assume that's like a butternut cake, which my Southern relatives have made for me. It's an incredibly sweet and nutty cake with a dense buttercream frosting.

Can anyone think of an old black-and-white movie where cooking plays a prominent role?
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebecca wrote:
There's a magnificent "hippynut" cake in the Judy Garland-MGM musical Meet Me in St Louis. I assume that's like a butternut cake, which my Southern relatives have made for me. It's an incredibly sweet and nutty cake with a dense buttercream frosting.

Can anyone think of an old black-and-white movie where cooking plays a prominent role?

Yes, Meet Me in St. Louis was one movie I was thinking of. There's also a nice dinner scene with Judy Garland on the telephone to her beux and the family at the table eating. That's just a must-see movie, in general.

The B&W-film issue is a tough one. I can't think of a good candidate. I only think of television series of home life like "Leave it to Beaver", where they are often eating and cooking in the kitchen.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site below has a synopsis of a B/W movie called Battleship Potemkin from 1925 and directed by Sergi Einstein.

http://www.londonfoodfilmfiesta.co.uk/Filmma~1/Battleship%20Potemkin.htm
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered a few more films related to eating and cooking:

Hanna and Her Sisters (great film, many holiday eating scenes)

Diner (dir. Barry Levinson, male-bonding film, Mickey Roark, Elizabeth Barkin, Kevin Bacon, another holiday-season film with diner scenes)

My Dinner with Andre -- which I mentioned last week. This really is a wonderful film and it is shot entirely at one meal in a New-York restaurant. The whole dinning experience is shown -- entrance, menus, ordering, serving, eating, clean-up, exit. Also, some great philosophy to go along with the food. I urge everyone to find it and watch.

Another TV show with a restaurant theme: Happy Days -- at least one of the sets was a diner.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley Tucci in "The Big Night."
zingor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound silly, but...
In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country there is, I believe it's right at the beginning, a huge dinner party scene. I remember when the movie came out, there was a little "making of..." special, and one of the interviews was with the people responsible for designing the food for that scene.

They had to dream up completely alien cuisine, including making a lot of it also be completely edible for the actors involved. I remember thinking what a cool job that must have been.

That interview came back to me later when I became a fan of Babylon 5. There was tons of alien food and alien eating scenes in that show, and I found myself rewinding those scenes a lot.

If we are what we eat, I remember the food stylist saying like, then we have to make the food reflect the very thought out societies the movie is trying to represent.

So it might be a little strange, but I enjoy any good science fiction movie that includes alien dinners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: