Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

foodie movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madameshawshank,

EEEKKKKK! I would have been calm and composed on the outside but a total screaming teen on the inside! How cool, I probably wouldn't have been able to think of anything to say.

The show isn't actually all that bad. I love the book and figured that Fox would totally screw it up, but they only screwed certain things up. It annoys me that they name the guy Jack Bourdain, just change the whole name already. They made him a bit more likeable than he should be, but he is also a very flawed character. I do like the main kitchen staff and find a lot of the show pretty funny. I will admit that I sit there and pick it apart as far as Hollywood vs. Reality, but I do enjoy it.

"It's hot ham water."
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly a food movie, but there are lots of good food scenes in Gigi, but I mostly love it for its celebration of champagne!! (As in the night they invented ...)
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au Petit Marguery with Stephanie Audran
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who liked Eat Drink Man Woman (which includes me) are bound to like Tortilla Soup, because it's the same screenplay in a Mexican setting:
Widower Martin Naranjo (Hector Elizondo) is a Los Angeles restaurateur with a booming business and three headstrong daughters (Jacqueline Obradors, Tamara Mello and Elizabeth Pena) all on the verge of leaving the house to pursue their individual destinies. He knows he must let go, but things get even more complicated when brassy neighbor Hortensia (Raquel Welch) sets her sights on Martin.
The food scenes are great, and the movie is very funny.
ChloeJA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw a movie called 'The Bread, My Sweet', which involved a guy who ran a bakery. Lots of shots of him baking elaborate breads, a couple of nice dinner scenes between him and his fiancee's family. I saw this on TV and came in on the middle of it, but it seemed a reasonable movie, a touch sentimental. The bread, though, was beautiful.
jenjen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Touch of Spice Reply with quote

Kiki
we recently saw A Touch of Spice on DVD. Loved the food prepearation but also adored the story behind the movie.

I am surprised that more people haven't mentioned it Rolling Eyes
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy Luck Club also has some wonderful meal scenes.

And in terms of old movies, I have to bring up Errol Flynn's The Adventures of Robin Hood. That scene of all the outlaws eating huge hunks of meat and Olivia de Havilland nibbling gracefully on a bird. Classic.

Also that prison cooking scene in Goodfellas. My partner keeps promising to slice garlic with a razor blade one of these days. I'm still waiting.
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Touch of Spice" has been mentioned here before, no? At least I have heard about it.

Alas, those of us in North America are not able to see it on DVD.

It sounds like the kind of film I would have loved to see were it released, but according to the IMDb Web site, it does not seem to have come here, unless it's been entered in film festivals: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378897/

It is sad that so few distributors are willing to take chances on foreign movies, but sometimes it just takes a long, long time.
jenjen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Foreign Films Reply with quote

Deste

Maybe you can check with some art house movie theatres, as it may be possible for them to get it?

I hope so, it is a great story of love, dreams, food, and politics....
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rights for release are set for Argentina, Australia, etc. but not the U.S., there's not a whole lot the one independent movie theater in my town can do. (See the link.) Maybe the success of Mostly M will nudge the folk who make the decisions, but I am afraid country of origin matters too and business people are scared of not making profits when there isn't a history of Greek movies doing well here.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American, The Big Night,
The French Au petit Marguay
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw the old Producers movie again and the scene of Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel "dining al fresco" is certainly a foodie one. And hilarious.
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Touch of Spice Reply with quote

It really annoys me that I am not able to see DVDs not encoded for my region. I did look into getting a DVD player capable of playing all regions but it was confusing. I wish they would standardize the formats so that everyone everywhere could see them if they are willing to go out of their way to get the films. Touch of Spice sounds great so maybe I'll look into again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: