Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dutch Mayonnaise?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Dutch Mayonnaise? Reply with quote

My brother-in-law is remembering fondly a particular type of mayonnaise which he says is distributed with french fries by vendors in Holland. He is unable to describe it except to say that it's thick and utterly different than what we know as mayonnaise in the states. ...not much for me (who've never been to Holland) to work with. =o

Could anyone give me a recipe so I could surprise him for Christmas? Thanks so much. Mad
swan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Rainey, here's your very own Dutchie Smile. Indeed we do have another kind of mayonaise which is served with our fries, we call it "frietsaus', (sauce for fries Smile ) and as far as I know it has a lower fat content then real mayonaise.(ah, talking of the joy of food!!! a few times per year I treat myself to a bag of freshly fried fries with frietsaus, preferably when it's a little cold. You just buy them of a little stall in the street and enjoy!)

I haven't found a recipe yet, but will keep looking for you!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan wrote:
I haven't found a recipe yet, but will keep looking for you!

Oh! Thanks sooo much! My brother-in-law is with us for another week. It would be so much fun to serve him some fries with "frietsaus"!

Meanwhile, armed with the right name, I can do a little googling myself. Wink
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I just did a search on recipezaar

http://www.recipezaar.com/

Don't know if it's the 'genuine article', but it might be a starting point for you

2 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder, ground
1 cup canola oil or sunflower oil
1 tablespoon vinegar, at room temperature

1. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the salt, pepper and mustard powder.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolk mixture at a consistent speed.
4. Add a little oil and a little vinegar on an alternating basis.
5. If the oil separates from the mixture, add a touch of warm water.
swan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest manufacturers of frietsaus is a Dutch company called 'Remia' and another one is 'Gouda's Glorie'. They might be calling it 'fritessaus' (elegant spelling Smile ).
Maybe they are willing to share a secret if you email them?

goodluck!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that you are not only teaching me Dutch cuisine and a bit of Dutch (is that the right word?) language but the "elegant" variations as well. Won't I be swell if I ever manage to travel to Holland?! Wink
swan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would be very welcome, Rainey!

(we would cook and eat lots of dutch food Smile )
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought a lottery ticket this afternoon, so, who knows? ::she typed with crossed fingers:: Wink
swan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and with the different time zone's we're in I'll know if I win our lottery before you will know yours!

Happy New Year to all of you.
dordt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Bram Ladage fries stalls Reply with quote

Bram Ladage fries stalls

That's where I would usually go to when I'm craving for some dutch patat met mayonaise en uien (fries with mayo and fine sliced onion.)

I have to agree with your bro in law Rainey, dutch mayo is one of the best mayo I've ever tasted. I migrated to Holland years ago, and have tasted rich american, asian or french mayos...i guess what we have in Holland is the best so far, to dip your fries into.

hi judy and swan
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we would cook and eat lots of dutch food Smile [/quote]

Could you perhaps tell a bit more about dutch food? I've been looking extensively for dutch cookbooks last year, and even in THE famous cookbook-shop in Köln I only found one single book "written" by "Frau Antje" (the woman from these about 40 years old cheese-commercials). I tried google as well, but wasn't much luckier either. Unfortunately I don't speak dutch ...
ejm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often had fries with mayonnaise (in fact, it's really the only way to eat them, n'est ce pas? Very Happy) so don't know if frietsaus is in any way similar to the mayonnaise we like to use.

However, looking at that recipe, it does look like the same ingredients listed on Hellmann's mayonnaise jar. Dordt, what do you think? Is it vaguely similar?

We usually add a bit of Dijon style mustard to Hellmann's mayonnaise when serving it with oven roasted potatoes (a not unreasonable facsimile for fries).
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mother-in-Law is 100% Dutch so I called her up and asked for her recipe. It sounds 'authentic' because it has 'mustard' (as ejm suggested) in the ingredients. I can't vouch for it, as I don't like mayonnaise...no matter which country produces it.

Dutch Mayonnaise

Makes about 1 pint

3 C Sugar
2 Tsp Dry Mustard
2 C White Vinegar
2 Tsp Salt
4 Eggs well beaten

Thoroughly mix all ingredients. Bring to slow boil in lightly greased skillet at Med/Low heat. Simmer approx. 2-4 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from stove. Cool to room temp. for a warm dressing, or refrigerate for later use.

Regarding a Dutch Cookbook, I wondering if the same phenominom that affects Scandinavian Cooking affects Dutch. I'm originally from Minnesota, where you can NOT find a Scandinavian restaurant....ever! I'm not talking Swedish meatballs and Old Country Buffet; I'm talking about any regional Scandinavian food. What I've discovered is two things: 1) The food is pretty plain, naturally, so therefore it's more 'home-cooking' than high cuisine, and 2) Most people think a smorgasbord IS Scandinavian cooking. That's like thinking that Thanksgiving is what Americans eat on a daily basis.

Dutch cooking, as I know it from my Mom-in-law is pretty darn basic; in fact, very Germanic, in the way that she cooks. I may be completely off base, but Mary, my m-in-l, told me that "The Dutch just learn to cook from their Oma's and Ompa's; what do we need a book for?" She's 89 years old and learned to cook from her mom, which brings forward recipes from the turn of the century...1900...NOT 2000! Laughing
markemorse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

However, looking at that recipe, it does look like the same ingredients listed on Hellmann's mayonnaise jar. Dordt, what do you think? Is it vaguely similar?

well, i know this post is a trifle old, but this subject is something that is near and dear to my shriveled little cholesterol-threatened heart. we've been living in amsterdam for a little over three years now, and one of the food experiences we've had here that has completely reversed a lifelong preference has been: "you gotta eat mayo with your potatoes now". And, as the title of this post suggests, the difference is all about the mayo/saus.

So, after falling head over heels for Dutch mayo, we went back to the US to try and share the experience, and found out that (even though the ingredients may be similar) Hellman's is nothing like Dutch mayo. It's fluffier and oilier, and maybe eggier, and it doesn't really taste like much compared to Dutch mayo or frietsaus. And if Dairy_Queen's mother-in-law's recipe is respresentative of the frietsaus i know and love, i think the sugar/vinegar/lack of oil ratios probably support this.

BTW, we should probably be making a distinction between frietsaus and mayo...the grocery stores here have both, and I believe that the frietsaus is more like the oil-less recipe above, while the mayo here does in fact have oil and a bit less sugar than frietsaus. Maybe swan or another true Nederlander can comment....
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon!

Oh Yum!!! I love dutch mayo. My best friend is dutch and she introduced me to frinkendel speciale (sorry for spelling), with lots of finely diced onion, curry type sauce and dutch mayo... I am drooling as I speak.... I don't like normal mayo, and think I would rather drink oil than eat shop bought. I hate raw onion and even cooked it still makes me have reflux for hours (sometimes days if I really indulge), but in this dish it is just perfect. She hates me because I will have reflux and get to enjoy the taste over and over again (sorry, gross out moment) and she doesn't.

We would go to the dutch shop in the suburbs of Sydney and have a feast and then go through the grocery section and load up on all sorts of yummy things.

I know this is going off on a tangent, but do any of you have the recipe for pofitjes (little puffed up tiny pancakey things - sorry can't remember the correct spelling)? Does anyone know of a dutch cafe/resto or grocer in Paris?

Let us know how the mayo recipe pans out. If it is like the dutch mayo I will make it nexttime I have a group of people over.

Got to go now..... craving for savoury tasty creamy cheesy (last 2 NOT on a low chol regimen...) crunchy soft munchies. I shouldn't log into this site, it does terrible things to my good resolutions, which does terrible things to my waistline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: