Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cooking Resolutions 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brighidsdaughter! (wags finger at her) over-salted rotisserie chicken from the deli! (wag wag wag) don't make me come over and cook!

i have almost completely closed down my refrigerator science lab devoted to the growth of unknown organism by shopping at "you know where" and buying just what i need for one or two meals.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey, I *knew* there would be a post from you, telling me to just pick up food at CM*! Oh, how I'd love to do that all the time. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet Smile But really, I've compared & their bulk organic spring mix salad is less expensive and much better quality than the pre-bagged same at Wal-Mart Supercenter. Ditto many other things.

Ok. I resolve to buy dinner at Central Market more often! Starting with New Year's Eve dinner. I'm gonna shop til I drop at Woolie Ewe's yarn sale Friday, swing by CM's Cafe on the Run to pick up dinner, and hit White Rock Weaving center on my way back to the country house.

*So the rest of y'all won't feel left out, explore our local foodie paradise here:
http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see that you and i are cut of the same (terry)cloth. better quality produce, meats and baked goods and smart shopping doesn't have to be expensive. of course, their "cafe on the run" (the prepared food case where you take the fresh prepared food home and heat it up for those not familiar with the store) had me gasping "yummy but overpriced" when i looked at their per serving prices, but, many of "their" servings is perfect for two meals me for. ask, and you get a sample of anything so that you don't go home with a dish that disappoints your tastebuds later.

sale at the woolie ewe! i'd fortify myself with food before going, if i were you. you may not have the strength or the money left for a trip to cm after a yarn buying spree.

Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a yarn buying spree once. That was three years ago and I still can't knit.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great site for Central Market. I want one here! Now! No really it seems like a marvelously all inclusive stop.

I just know you'll get around to it Erin, and you will be wonderful.
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can all offer up or sweater sizes if that will encourage you to start knitting, erin.

central market is nice because it's focus is on fresh food and produce and lots of it. the packaged foods are few, high quality and feature items that one cannot get in your average supermarket. they also have some wonderful in store events and the staff is very knowledgeable.

Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to food I am Grace Kelly with a dash of Adrian Monk.

With a sewing machine and knitting needles I am Mr. Bean 10x over! I can knit a knot and sew myself to the machine. Seriously, when I was a kid my grandma forbid me from using her machine. That was after she freed my hair from it's clutches.

"It's hot ham water."
Charlotte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of food related resolutions.

I want to learn the correct way to cut up a chicken. I take the back out when I roast mine and it always feels like a hack job.

I want to waste less food. I tend to overbuy and things go moldy in my fridge.

I want to try to eat earlier in the evening. My weight went from the low end of my preferred range to the high end, and this was no doubt a factor.

I will also attempt more pie. I got given some deep dish Pyrex dishes that were my grandmother's, quite a surprise since she has been dead these nine years and her household was dissolved long before. But I feel it is a Sign from Above. (Perhaps my grandmother will guide my hand. She was an ace pie baker.)

I will redesign my food blog so it accepts comments and looks a little nicer, and try to keep it better updated. Very Happy.

-- Charlotte (my first post)
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlotte, welcome to the C&Z forums! I like your resolution about wasting less -- that's something I need to work on also. Speaking of pies, have you checked out the recent thread on apple pie?

About that chicken -- do you want to learn how to cut up raw, whole chicken, carve roast fowl, or both?
Charlotte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brighidsdaughter wrote:
Charlotte, welcome to the C&Z forums! I like your resolution about wasting less -- that's something I need to work on also. Speaking of pies, have you checked out the recent thread on apple pie?

About that chicken -- do you want to learn how to cut up raw, whole chicken, carve roast fowl, or both?

I will most certainly check out the apple pie thread. I have a bunch of pie-suitable apples, so if I get busy it will either be apple pie or Shaker lemon (picked three dozen lemons during a short break in the rain yesterday).

I want to cut up a raw whole chicken. I am considering hiring one of the cooking instructors at the local Sur La Table for coaching, although if you know a good pictorial guide on the web or in a good technique cookbook, please let me know.

For carving, I have been watching my dad do it all these years, so am a bit more confident about that.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update. There have been two Sundays in 2005, and I have baked, FROM SCRATCH, two cakes. This last Sunday's black forest bundt cake was terrific, and fun to make. So thanks for your encouragement.
monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations david. only 50 more sundays left in the year! i thought of you as i was eyeing a new silicone bundt pan at a shop just last week.

just let us know when we can drop by to sample the fruits of your labors!

Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, monkey! How nice to see you here again!

I love silicone and have a number of silcone pans. I like the muffin pans very well. The loaf-shaped one I got for quick breads tends to bow at the sides with the weight of batter. The bundt-shaped one holds up to the weight of batter quite well, but over time and stored in with a bunch of other baking pans, the center column has been pushed out of place. I thought silcone was supposed to have a memory and this would correct itself, but it hasn't. The effect of this distortion is that one side needs more baking time than the other. I thought this might be helpful info.

I've gone back to a metal bundt pan. But I'm waiting for the day when I can justify $25-30 for a silcone madelaine pan. ::hotcha!:: This has much more to do with justifying the eating of madelaines (when I've already got plenty of weight to lose) than the forking over of dollars. Oh to be terry cloth and not have to worry about changing shape! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: resolutions..fingers crossed :-) Reply with quote

well...in a rather chaotic land at the moment...the plan is to find a sense of order...

right now I actullay KNOW where all the cake pans are...all together..happily waiting...the hearts, the wreath, the mini whatevers...all waiting..and boy oh boy am I going to bake...

and the books I read..the food wonders....I'm planning to not simply read...but put them to further use...yep...work through those scrumptious recipes...

and make cocktails...my son's girlfriend was our cocktail princess at Christmas Day....oh golly....she would come in an ask..fruit, creamy etc....we were spoilt rotten and it felt so good!...the most delicious caprioskas.....I looked and thought...yep...I could do that..so...serious baking and cocktail making...and to spend good slabs of time reading those big big food books...the memory ones...

wishing you all the very bestest of the best with thy resolutitons...
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madameshawshank wrote:
...the most delicious caprioskas.....

Madame, please enlighten me! I Googled, but only got confused & cross-eyed from conflicting information. Could you describe them please? Maybe caprioska appreciation is a resolution I need to make Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: