Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

babe's library..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gisele

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur with Judy and her suggestion of Lynley Dodd and the Hairy Maclairy series. These books were so popular at my school library when I was younger, they eventually got a set that stayed in the library at all times.

15 years later, I can still remember the verse of Hairy Maclairy from Donaldson's Dairy , and I didn't even own the book!

All other young children's book authors that I know and would recommend are New Zealanders. The best one of the lot would be Margaret Mahy, who has written many books all for different age groups.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David..one word!

YEP!!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I find it sad that so often books for children end up being categorized as "boy" books or "girl" books. I really think my life would have lacked something if I hadn't spend one summer going through the Louisa May Alcott series of books starting of course with Little Women and Nancy Drew was as exciting as The Hardy Boys.

David- So much of literature is written from a male perspective with male hero that young girls have had to adapt their points of view from it. And it was perfectly reasonable and expected that girls should.

I think you're an unusual guy in crossing into the dangerous frontier of "chick lit". It's sad that it shouldn't be equally encouraged and accepted.

I remember growing up stunned that I would always miss half of what the human experience is by being female. We all do no matter how hard we try to push the frontier. No reason to stop trying, tho. Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

books

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
I buy used books for myself on Amazon--Does anyone besides me feel like that's cheating the author? Or is one full-price purchase enough per book?

Are you aware of PaperBackSwap.com? I joined in January and it's been a wonderful resource. I clear my own shelves of books I don't use anymore by sending them to someone who's interested in them, I get my own turn at books I've wanted to read and discover books I wasn't aware of that may be interesting indeed. And all this "costs" me is the cheaper media-rate postage for the books I send out.

I'm sorry for those out of the US and territories. It won't work for you. Legal and practical restrictions I'm sure, however, the two guys who organized and operate this are friendly and available and they might help someone get an equivalent service going in other areas. But for those of us in the US it's virtually free access to bookshelves all over the place and it's so much fun when a popular book you've put on your list and forgotten about because it's been so long shows up free in your mailbox.

I just got Mark Kurlansky's Salt that Barbara recommended ages ago. It was one of the first things I listed. Another was Zadie Smith's On Beauty. I'm still considerably down the list for that one but I know when it comes it will be like Santa squeezing into my mailbox instead of my chimney. Wink

Check it out!
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Rainey's recs on Paperbackswap! She had mentioned it on some thread - maybe Erin's Book collection thread?- and I enrolled. I have so far gotten rid of more books than I've received (not a bad thing!) - but only becauseI haven't made time to sit down and go through the website carefully. I HAVE received one book so far and have several credits to redeem. So, I'll get to it soon perhaps...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

year

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
Rainey, I've also lived in Van Nuys--went to high school in North Hollywood.

Internet=nostalgia !!

Must have been Grant! My last house was just 2 blocks from Grant. Now we're out about a half mile and one heart-attack inducing hill (my son walked daily) from Taft.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my latest book purchase..the sweetest board book with the animals from Possum Magic ~ for my 3 month old grandson...Darling Marcus Smile

shall we raise glasses high...with scrumptious bubbles...and drink to books..and reading...and writers..and the glorious concept of alphabet...and diversity...and us...and all....'nother sip methinks...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is! We looked into it for my daughter — it has a very competitive soccer team — but I have too many bad memories from Catholic school myself. The minute I walked in I couldn't wait to get out! And I don't think my daughter, the consummate skeptic, would have fared much better...

Hope your experience was better! Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipping, gingerpale? oh the elixir of life my dear...bubbles from The Milky Way....and perfume from beyond ~ that's ma sipping liquid of the moment...

'n Rainey...moi too had a Catholic schooling...the most surreal moment (of many Wink Wink Wink ) was when I was about 10 I can remember the class had to line up on the big balcony..and one by one we had to go into the head nun's office...for a cut of the cane...and wait for this one...we had to say "thank you"...from memory, when the cane went down on my hand it then moved to the desk and made a mark...('n I wonder at the fact I didn't mention it at home...not sure if anything would have been done...it was an ABSOLUTE given that schooling had to be at a Catholic school...and that was the closest to home....that weird idea if it was Catholic is was fine..regardless... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )

I think of what life must have been like for so many of those men and women....many there because there was nowhere else...so often the case in Ireland...and Italy...that idea of being given to the Church...different times..different age...

ah well..

heard an interview with John Doyle...any Americans remember Rampaging Roy Slaven from the Olympic Games...along with H G Nelson...two stunningly funny characters...Doyle invented Roy...

Doyle was interviewed a little while back...he has taken a trip down the Darling River..."a series of little puddles now" he said...gorgeous turn of phrase..

anyway...his schooling....Brothers at Lithgow....the strap...mentals in the morning...if you didn't answer back with the correct answer...strap for you...in groups...if all didn't get the answer...strap for the group...collective punishment...nothing quite like it!

it was all they knew...and I guess their schooling had been brutal as well...and that before them and on and on...

Doyle spoke of fear being the encouragement to learn...
he's a funny guy...the transcript of the interview will be up on the ABC site in a few days...I'll seek it out and post it...

hugs as I sip away with smileshine
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just drag the discussion back to children's books for a nanosecond - I love how our threads twist and turn - and mention 'The Story of the Little Mole who Knew it was None of His Business', by Werner Holzwarth and Wolf Erlbruch. A lovely picture book about barnyard animals and poo. Kids love it!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dragged beloved Judy! Smile

welcome back...I've been here there and everywhereing...passed Brooklyn this afternoon..and thought of you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: