Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Compost Suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Compost Suggestions? Reply with quote

I wonder if any of you good cooks out there are also gardeners with compost bins and some advice to give me. I have a small compost bin on my balcony that is experiencing a fruit fly infestation right now. Does anyone have any chemical-free ideas for getting rid of them?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about fly control around compost but on plant I have an idea or two. A spray made of the capsicum of habaneros or some super spicy pepper can be very effective. You can find it in stores or online. I have actually made my own concotion of capsicum infused water that has worked very well. One note of caution, use gloves and beware of steam that carries capsicum. One word; ventaliate!

I hope this helps out your problem.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to aerate your compost pile. Give it a healthy stir every day or so. Also, if you are only using kitchen waste, you may need to add some brown matter - dried leaves or grass. That keeps it from getting too wet.

My husband is the compost king at our house and is a wizard with a pitchfork! Laughing He just keeps turning it so that it gets lots of oxygen and I think that that really helps with fruit flies.
gisele

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told to throw a couple of handfuls of blood and bone over the top of our compost every couple of weeks, and a couple of handufls of soil as well. Apparently it helps to break down the food matter. other than that, the only other thing I can recommend is what everyone else said, turn it over and aerate it a bit.
happenstance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also add a layer of diatomaceuos earth on top. it won't kill the good bugs down below, but will take care of the flies on top.

Sharing her home with Rimsky the cat, Cody the partner, and 9 happy hens.

:>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Compost Suggestions? Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody for your kind advice. This has been a problem for the past 2 summers so, I'm very motivated to get it to stop. I've started turning the pile every day, am drying plant cuttings to create more brown material and am brewing some chili pepper/garlic tea to spray on the pile. If those things fail, I'll try to find the Italian translation for diatomaceous Wink
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Compost Suggestions? Reply with quote

Oh, Gisele, When you say, "blood and bone" are you referring to blood meal and bone meal?
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope that's what she's referring to!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
gisele

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol - yes blood meal and bone meal...It's just known as "blood and bone" here...and comes all pre-packaged in plastic bags...ugh but I cannot abide the smell, so that's my boyfriends job Very Happy Wink
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Compost suggestions? Reply with quote

Thanks a million everybody! I went for the easiest solution first (not knowing how to say "blood and bone meal" or "diatomaceous earth" in Italian Wink ), and have been turning the compost once a day. There are a few fruit flies hanging around but nothing like before! Thank you thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: