Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The joy of meeting C&Zers face to face
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvados!! I need some Calvados! Have a great time you folk out there!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil and I have been into calvados lately, mmm! What brands do you like?
Pastis is another we are hooked on, maybe a little too much!

I wish I was there tasting with you!!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Judy, I hope you'll enjoy Julie and Julia but I was referring to a book compiled by Julia Child's great-nephew from Julia's own memos and correspondence from the early days when Paul was in the diplomatic corps and she was living in Paris for the first time.

It unravels like a story of someone just caught in the first flush of love & adventure and then growing into a wonderful, mature affair with life in all it's complications. She's very specific about the locations, the meals, the cooks and teachers who propelled her to become the legend we know. She tells the blow-by-blow of creating Mastering the Art of French Cooking with Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle. And also how she got adopted by her cat and how handmade Valentines became a Pulia (Julia + Paul) tradition. It's personal and charming!

I admired her when I bought the book. I adored her after I'd read it! There was sooo much more to her as a woman of intelligence, fearless integrity and political passions than I had ever guessed.

I had forgotten the title so I had to do some looking. Here's a link to the book info including an excerpt describing Alex Prud'Homme's process of compiling all the original documents and conversations into the book. http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/index.cfm?book_number=1775
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Rainey... the magic words...
Quote:
how she got adopted by her cat

I am definitely going to have to get this book... to go with all the other books I have... ahem! Thank you so much! Smile

Debbie,

I like Pineau too! My dad bought some back from France a while ago and I got the taste for it. I admit tho' that champagne and chateauneuf I do like... sigh! For some reason, I quite like sherry too. And I'm not even a vicar... honest!

Are you going to take Madame to the Musee de la Mode? She'd love that methinks. Also the Musee Gustave Moreau at the back of Pigalle up the hill somewhere. He was a Symbolist painter with a lot of hang ups, but his painting is fascinating nonetheless.

And I never even mentioned the Orsay once.... Oops! Embarassed They have Lalique jewellery upstairs at the back from the entrance. Gorgeous stuff!
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing day!!!!!!

We visited the Hotel Lauzun on Ile St Louis this morning and were absolutely blown away. What amazing decoration in the mansion Shocked The story that went with the building of and consequent owners of the mansion was also amazing.

Then to lunch and more laughter and stories, before departing to go our seperate ways for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow night is the drinks!!!!
swan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Julie and Julia a lot, especially the descrition of the lobster..Smile

Enjoy, reading, drinking, eating, life!
(still wish I was in Paris this afternoon....)
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, ooh, ooh - I think Madame would adore the little Dali museum on Montmartre. It is located just off the Place du Tertre at 11 ru Poulbot. It is truly magnificent. the art is just glorius and the space is amazing.

Here's a link:

http://www.daliparis.com/
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, and the Rodin museum which is a lovely house and the roses in the back garden might still be out too... oh to be in Paris... sigh!
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH the Rodin Museum garden is wonderful on a sunny afternoon. We were the two old lovers amongst all the young ones.
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh- and don't forget Berthillon on Ile St. Louis! As we have been discussing ice cream - this is THE BEST! I always have to leave extra time on departure dy to make sure I get over there! Cool

I know they sell it in the supermarkets now, but you must have it AT Berthillon for the real deal!
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we had a great night last night.... will let Madame fill in the details, but promised her that I would give you a quick rundown.

Went to a local bar here and enjoyed a few glasses of red wine with Clotilde. Thought Madame was going to expire from joy! She told us all about the wonderful things she had been doing that day and we talked about many things in general also.

Afterwards we went to a local crepe resto and ate galettes with cider. What a fun dinner. The owners are friends of ours and after the meal they brought us out a digestif of "pruno" an armangac that has been steeped with spices and prunes. In each glass was a prune and a small spoon for you to scoop it out and enjoy.... and we did! Laughing (The Captain had TWO!! glasses of it... but don't tell anyone ok... Wink )

We remembered our friends and had a toast to the "gang". Madame said that everyone felt very light as she carried them all over Paris on her shoulders... Laughing

They are off on their trip around France now, and I know that Paris is a little emptier without them... Sad

Now you just have to look forward to Madame's posts when she gets back to Australia!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you had a wonderful night. I look forward to Madame's post.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a great night. Any photos, Debbie?

Will Madame and the Captain be back in Paris while they're on this trip?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~ Sieg the driver drove us out of Paris. For doing that, methinks he deserves some form of precious medal! ...he takes such things in his stride..

from Rouen ~

the memory of meeting Clotilde... as sweet as her language on the screen in front of you. a special smile...delightful..

time to travel again...with love to all ...with a hope that you all, in time to come, meet this sweet soul.

more when my mind is still...and I can tap back to that delightful night..

hugs
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are photos... they are on Madame's camera, but I am sure she will share with everyone when she returns from her trip.

Bon voyage Madame and Capt Ambrose... see you in Jan in Sydney!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: