Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Food gifts to bring back from Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camille

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Food gifts to bring back from Paris Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking on the forums for a long time, and today I have a question!

I live in Paris, and I will visit friends in America (Michigan) this summer. They like food, and I want to bring them a package with food or cooking things that they can't easily find (or would be expensive) where they live.

My question is: if you have visited Paris before, can you tell me what you brought back, or what you would bring back if you came to Paris?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give me!
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Camille,
I am from Los Angeles, and have lived in Paris for the past 4 years. Here's what my friends and family always want me to bring when I go "home".

Chocolate that they can not get easily, i.e. all the big chocolatier names. And in the regular price range, for the milk chocolate with nuts lovers NOTHING beats Lait Amandes Caramélisées avec une Pointe de Sel, from Côte d'Or

Teas from Mariage Freres, I get requests for the jams and chocolates and incense from MF too.

Salt - Fleur de Sel de Guérande, Camargue, etc.

Foie Gras in cans (there is a shop at CDG that sells it in glass jars, with a special certificate that allows you to bring it into the U.S. But if you want to make sure you buy your gifts in advance, get the cans from a local source).

Other pâtés, canard, porc, etc.

Wine, Cognac, Armagnac

Classic Tea/Kitchen Towels with classic French patterns i.e. Provençale, Parisien scenes, Basque, Brittany, etc.

Petite Bateau t-shirts

Touristy little Tour Eiffel statues for kids

I am planning my summer trip right now, so the requests are fresh! If I get any others, I let you know.
swan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely stuff like jams, chocolate paste, confiture de lait, (with or without fleur de sel),caramel au beurre salé, from Fauchon or so, and the macarons from Pierre Hermé (much better than those from Ladurée...), tea from Palais des Thes, and all the stuff mentioned above!
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Swan thank you for reminding me that I must bring Christine Ferber confiture!

And I am with you on PH being far supperior to Ladurée, but they don't travel that well. I've tried Sad
phillyUKgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Food Prezzies from Paris Reply with quote

Definitely, definitely a little bottle of the Vanilla Sugar from Fauchon. It's expensive--about ten euros if I remember--but so well worth it! It's almost grey with tiny vanilla seeds. I only use it for one thing--cooking down my rhubarb long and slow in a baking dish. But knowing it's in my cupboard is having a real treaure tucked away.
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything people have suggested so far. (Especially CHOCOLATE!!) The last time we came back from France, our only souvenirs were FOOD! We brought jars of oignons and echalotes confits - very popular. Lots of confiture - yum! We also brought back several jars of different rillettes -pork & duck liver. At the agricultural inspection coming in, they were only concerned that we not have any beef products.

Also, the morning we left Paris, we stopped on Ile St. Louis at a fromagerie called La Fermiere de St. Louis (I'm pretty sure of this) and they vacuum packed a large selection of cheeses for us. (I believe this makes it easier to get throught the Ag inspection.) We put them in a small foam lined tote (purchased at a supermarché in Normandy for hauling picnic supplies) and carried them on board the plane. They arrived safely with us in San Francisco and were gleefully received by friends and relatives. Laughing

A funny side note - on this trip, we had done a home exchange with a family in Granville, Normandy. We overlapped with them for 2 days at each end of the trip. The first day we were there, Philippe had taken us
around Granville to show us the best places to shop for different things, taken us through the Market Hall and the open air market, etc. We went back later to the market hall and found a charcutier who made FABULOUS rillettes - and as I mentioned we bought several jars. When we got home, the day before our friends left we drove down to Monterey to the Aquarium and took a picnic. I included a jar of rilletes and Philippe went WILD over it. He was atonished when I told him I had bought it in Granville. Well - we just spent time with Philippe and Armelle in London, and they brought us 2 jars of the rilletes! We were overjoyed!!! He said he went back to the Market and found the guy who made it and told him he had to go all the way to California to hear about his products! They are ardent customers now! Cool
camille

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the great stories and suggestions!

I have never tried Christine Ferber's jams but now I have a good excuse to spend the money. (They will make me taste them, right? Smile)

Thanks again (and if anyone else has things to add to the list, of course, you're very welcome!),

Cam.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUSTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Condiment Man!!
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Macarons!!!! Like maybe Pierre Hermé's or Dallyou(sp?)

Last edited by cigalechanta on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chocolate hazelnut combination.

"It's hot ham water."
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Gifts to bring back from Paris Reply with quote

Hello Pesto Man, I'm headed to Paris at the breginning of July. The Maille mustard available in Italy seems (or is it just me?) less pungently spicy than what I remember in France. So, A.) would anyone suggest the French Maille or B.) is there a so-hot-it-makes-you-cry mustard out there I should pick up?
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, I agree that the mustard for inport not being as "pungent" as what I had in France THe one we enjoyed was inexpensive it had a picture of a sausage on a bun on the jar and brought tears to one's eye. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Go to the grocery store, there all kinds of alternatives..shop around
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article was in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning, It's not specifically about bringing food back from France, but I thought it was informative!

Take It or Leave It - What foreign foodstuffs you're allowed to bring back from your travels.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/06/14/FDG0JJ8SI71.DTL

Enjoy! Very Happy
Melly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gifts to bring back from Paris Reply with quote

Susan in Italy wrote:
Hello Pesto Man, I'm headed to Paris at the breginning of July. The Maille mustard available in Italy seems (or is it just me?) less pungently spicy than what I remember in France. So, A.) would anyone suggest the French Maille or B.) is there a so-hot-it-makes-you-cry mustard out there I should pick up?

Susan,
You should make a pilgrimage to the Maille store at the Place de la Madeline. It has flavors that they don't sell elsewhere, and a little flyer with recipes. We also bought a little sampler pack of three flavors in teeny jars at Monoprix.
Melly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: