Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

driving through France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saskia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: driving through France Reply with quote

This summer I will be driving to France on my way to the family home in Bretagne. Does anyone have any good suggestions about where to go, what to visit and where to eat? There are some plans of visiting Reims on the way, but any suggestions are welcome. We normally drive through the North of France in a hurry trying to get to the south or Bretagne as fast as possible, but this year we've decided to slow down and take a good look round!

Thanks in advance for your ideas or suggestions!!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would liketravel suggestions, I believe it would be a nice idea, and helpful too, to tell our friends on the forum, where are you driving from .

No more war. less secrecy!
Saskia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will probably start in Antwerp. Thoughts are given to visit the Belgian coast as well, or visit Luxemburg... anyway, start in Belgium and from there drive down to the north of France! Can't wait to start exploring!!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing What fun!

Well, I would definitely not miss: Honfleur, Pont l'Eveque, Deauville and Trouville, Caen (Fabulous Mémorial a la Liberation), Bayeux (tapestries), Mont St. Michel, Cancale (oysters, oysters, oysters) (don't eat at a restaurant, keep walking till you get all the way to the end of town to the oyster sellers on the beach) and St. Malo in Normandy. We found them all charming. Lots to see and do. If you're an engineering geek, the Pont de Normandie, between Le Havre and Honfleur is AMAZING.Shocked

We also LOVE Concarneau and Quimper in Bretagne. At the mouth of the Belon river, near Concarneau, is a restaurant called Chez Jacky, which has fruits de mer degustation platters that are to die for. Cool

Let us know what you decide!
itroussel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
Laughing What fun!

Well, I would definitely not miss: Honfleur, Pont l'Eveque, Deauville and Trouville, Caen (Fabulous Mémorial a la Liberation), Bayeux (tapestries), Mont St. Michel, Cancale (oysters, oysters, oysters) (don't eat at a restaurant, keep walking till you get all the way to the end of town to the oyster sellers on the beach) and St. Malo in Normandy

I'm sorry Donna, neither Saint-Malo nor Cancale are in Normandy, they are in Brittany (in the département d'Ille-et-Vilaine, to be exact).
Sakia, if you have a family home in Brittany I guess you know where and what to eat there, but, here are my recommendations: some caramels made with salted butter, crêpes and galettes, garriguette strawberries, some fish and seafood as well (pousse-pieds, bigorneaux, coques, palourdes, dormeurs, homards...), the Far breton!!!!
Had I to recommend a place to eat, I would say Le Goûter Breton, a small crêperie in Primel-Trégastel (Plougasnou, Finistère), were the Saint-Jacques Galette (Buckwheat crêpe with a filling made of sea scallop, leek and a salty plant called Salicorne) and the caramelized apples crêpe are out of this world. Of course, there are many excellent crêperies, but this is the only one we keep going to every year (and it's closeness to our family home isn't the reason).

Enjoy your stay there!
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anothe vote for Chez jacky in Belon and of course their famed oysters. In Trouville, at Les Vapeurs are the Best Moules creme.
In Pont aven, the Moulin de Rosemedec.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: