Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Figs, oh delightful figs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evelyne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Figs, oh delightful figs! Reply with quote

This is so simple that it hardly qualifies as a recipe, but it also happens to be delicious and the first fresh figs are making their appearance at the market, so I'm sharing it with you anyways.

Figues rôties au miel

-Fresh figs, as many as needed (I took two as a dessert for one)
-The best liquid honey you can find, 1 tsp per fig (I suppose any honey is good, but why not aim high? Mine came from my designated honey-man who comes down from the mountains every saturday to sell his wares at the farmers' market)

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Incise the figs as though you were going to cut them in four, but stop the cut two-thirds of the way down. Gently separate the fig quarters a little bit a pour a teaspoonful of honey into each. Roast in the oven for about 10 min. Enjoy straight out of the pan, scraping it well with your spoon to get every last drop of warm honey, or transfer to bowls to serve, but that means more dishes and less shameless pan-scraping. A little plain yogurt helps balance out the sweetness of the honey, too. I've been told that a sprig of fresh rosemary is a nice addition, too, but didn't have any on hand.

Enjoy!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore roasted figs, and totally agree, aim high use good quality honey. I have never eaten them with yogurt before. Usually I break out the chevre.

"It's hot ham water."
Jenna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Another great fig recipe Reply with quote

Another way that I love to eat figs is with proscuttio. This is an easy, no cook recipe, that is great as a first course or cut in half for apps.

You need:

-fresh figs
-Arugula
-Marscapone cheese
-proscuttio

Slice figs into quarters vertically. Take a piece of proscuttio and spread a layer of the cheese over it. Place a piece of Arugula at one end vertically and a piece of the fig. Roll it into a little bundle. Make a few per person if serving as a first course, or cut in half and stand on a plate if serving as an app.

Easy and delicious. I promise these will be a hit and are sooo easy.
Saudades

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love gobbling them down fresh, as is. or simply with prosciutto [or presunto if it must be a la Portuguesa Smile ] but sometimes i bake them in a [puff pastry] tart with say prosciutto and goat's cheese if i want it savoury. make a nice sunday lunch with a green salad. or perhaps a good splash of Grand Manier, sprinkle some almond flakes over the whole thing and bake in the oven.
gisele

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm...yummy figs. A few weeks ago my mum spent hours making fig and ginger jam, and roasted figs, and figs cooked in syrup and then semi-dried, and fig liqour...basically we went nuts on figs!!

The figs I really loved were the ones cooked in the syrup and then semi-dired. It was quite labour/time intensive but oh so worth it.

But for a quick simple recipe we, like others, roasted the figs with good honey and ricotta...was really good.
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gisele - you must have a fig tree in your back yard as I didn't even see them in the shops this year.
gisele

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara - My mum's friend has a fig tree. They don't like them and were feeding them to the chooks. We were granted permission to raid the tree every couple of days Very Happy
tannazie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figs! i just encountered them in the farmer's market today for the first time this year. summer is officially here! they are so gorgeous that they hardly need any preparation. i served them with white nectarines, white cherries, and blueberries -- basically summer in fruit form. here's a picture:

http://tannazie.blogspot.com/2006/06/figs-are-here.html

ps, the arugula/fig/mascarpone/prosciutto combo sounds *amazing*

pps, long time reader, first time poster... but i'm so excited about figs i had to share =)

-tannaz
Franca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Roasted Chicken with Figs Reply with quote

I just started using fig instead of honey or sugar in my roasted chicken recipe (mixing the fig compote with butter and lemon and stuffing it under the skin with thin slices of garlic). I got the idea from a Moroccan restaurant, where they did it with more figs stuffed inside, along with a side dish of sauteed onions and goat cheese. Mmmmm.....
Etouffeesivousplay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Honey question Reply with quote

if I used a flavored honey do you think it would detract from the recipe...I have a very nice lavendar honey that i would like to use. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: