Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Socc, er, uh, I mean Football!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4991632.stm

My allegiance is to France. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have had an Independence Day celebration yesterday. Vive la France!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two 4.30am wake ups in a row..I'm doing well Wink France 1 at the moment...43 minutes into the game...

was wondering about Zidane's age..34 ~ 3 years older than Mr Beckham...amazing eh.

every so often I imagine the Socceroos on the field...brave and delightful warriors methinks..

Siegfried has just said he's enjoying the game ~ much smooth passing of the ball..
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zizou!!!

that's all I can say Very Happy

now to watch the French news on SBS ~ just beginning...much red white et blue! Joyous French faces...footage of he team arriving in a big blue bus...golly I feel French at the moment... Wink Wink Wink

am thinking of Clotilde and Maxence 'n the road trip...I do hope along the way they come across soccer knowledge folk who give them congratulatory hugs etc...

those three colours do look wonderful together....fresh

can anyone help me with this ?...very fleeting glimpse of the bus..on the side liberte equalite and jules someone...very fleeting...so research! the only thing I can come up with is this Jules:

France invented FIFA, and the Jules Rimet trophy is named for a Frenchman, but it wasn┬┐t until 1958 when France first reached the World Cup semifinals.

so maybe it's that Jules..makes sense..

now, what to eat and drink at 3am as we watch THE game in a few days' time...how how how exciting!

have just imagined c&z in 4 years ~ we can talk international soccer once again..
Vickie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four years, Madame...you forget the Asian Cup, the European Cup...and of course it actually won't be too long before qualifications begin for 2010.

The motto of this World Cup has been 'Make friends'. I like to think that this thread has gone a small way to making that vision a reality.

As for 3am food...what could be nicer than warm croissants with good butter and jam.? Or some tiramisu for pure indulgence and an Italian theme?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

croissants from La Gerbe d'Or perhaps...oh to have that shop nearby Smile

Vickie, did you happen to see the documentary "The Away Game"...SBS maybe last week sometime...stunning interviews with some of the Socceroos ~ in the countries where they're playing club football..

was beautifully and lovingly made..
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel there is a definite fovoritism towards France. Well, I favour the Italians, and at 10 p.m. local hour, a good dish of fetuccini alfredo with a red glass of chianti is perfect for me. And tirasmisu for desert .That 's just dreaming, I'm always on a diet and anyhow, I don't follow the games. Why do I have a husband for? he will informme in due time.
I read the English boycott Portugal's beaches as a revenge for their loss ( twisted logic, but well, who says soccer fans are logical..). That makes me feel better preferring the Italians. I have some unfinished business with France's political priorities, while Italy, sweet Italy, is so cute... ( I mean the italian men , of course).

No more war, let the better one win!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Simona, since you write of men, Italian men....may I remind you of French men...'n those scarves they so beautifully wear... Wink

golly where will this thread lead!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know about the scarves, but no, thank you, I still preferr the Italian ones, .. in italian everything sounds more romantic...
At least we won't fight over men, Madame...

No ore wars, not even over italian/french men!!???!!!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, I can't imagine fighting with you over anything...or anyone Wink

what IS it about scarves?????
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are flying to Munich tomorrow evening, stopping over for two nights before continuing on to Athens. One of those two nights will be the finals, and while the game is in Berlin and the Germans have gracefully stepped off the stage, I expect that there will still be plenty of excitement in Munich and at least some beer left. I am declaring, modestly, for Italy. I was for France until I read what Simona said.
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rooting for Italy, too, as much as I love France and usually go for the Underdog.

Have a great time Chicago Bear, in BOTH destinations. Do note that the day before the game (? right?) Germany plays Portugal for third place, so the natives may have something to celebrate.

Drink a nice Cote de Rhone with your pizza while watching if your loyalties are divided, and the day after, vow to eat only the food of the victor if the other team wins.

Not much of a penalty... Wink

Last edited by Deste on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon Voyage , CB!! Enjoy beautiful Munich and the wonderful beer. A short detour to the Viktualienmarkt ( very close to Marienplatz) will bring joy to your tastebuds.
Enjoy a not too hot weather in Athens, and wonderful sunsets in Santorini.
This post being unconditionally BLUE, we are in a minority. But it's only football after all...
Simona
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deste, thanks for the reminder about the consolation game. It starts at 9pm Munich time on Saturday. I am truly looking forward to the beer and sausages in Germany, then the kalamari and octopus and sardines and lamb in Greece. Food in the right setting is as close to heaven as I expect to get.
ElegantSniff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona wrote:
But it's only football after all...
Simona

Simona, I'm shocked Shocked

Have you never heard of Bill Shankly?
"Football isn't a matter of life and death -- it's MUCH more important than that!"

Rolling Eyes Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: