Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Socc, er, uh, I mean Football!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill who??
Sorry Embarassed Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Sad Mad Question Shocked Embarassed

Simona
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB - TOMATOES in Greece Exclamation Yes, calamari, lamb, octopus, sardines. But DO NOT miss the tomatoes! And I highly recommend bringing back seeds, if you grow tomatoes at your home. Cool

My main recollections of Greece are (in orderr of importance): the tomatoes, the light and the color of the sea.

And again I say Allez les Bleues!
gisele

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm definitely in the French supporters camp, I wouldn't dare give my father a chance to disown me! Very Happy (Not that he would of course Wink )

So I'll be getting up at 5.30am to watch the football,on my lonesome (the boyfriends working already by that time!), just me and my cat Cleo curled on the couch...thinking of my Italian friend Daniele and how much fun it would be if we could watch the football together, if only he weren't on the other side of the world!!

My boyfriends choices for every match have been correct so far...fingers crossed!

It's going to be an extremely interesting match!!!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about this for a quote:

There is no I in TEAM.

May both France and Italy play in that sense....as teams...

Bon Voyage to the traveller...have a simply wondrous time...discover much and taste joyously ...as I know you will..

hugs to all
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~ if Marco Materazzi's comment to Zinedine Zidane was a racist one, the victory is shallow... Crying or Very sad

'n at the same time, Zidane had the opportunity, in a nanosecond, to let said comment fly through him...

life does that...it continues to give us opportunities to learn...

if Marco Materazzi's commet to Zinedine Zidane was a racist one, someone should remind MM that if he's cut, his blood looks as Zidane's...red..

my heart seems to have stopped...I've seen people jumping up and down and kissing the cup etc...yet I'm still....

IMO a hollow victory if MM's comment was racist ~ 'n at the same time dear old ZZ had a golden opportunity ...

I asked my husband whether he thinks we will ever find out what was said...he thought perhaps Zidane might say something about racism...

only two people know exactly what was said..

I find it curious that the commentators haven't spoken very much about it...
simona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIVA ITALIA

Well, I'm happy, I professed my preferences a while ago.

Madame, what did MM allegedly said to ZZ?

I read that ZZ bumped not so innocenly in MM and got a red ticket. I didn't see the game, we had a "girls" evening at one of our friends, with champagne and goodies, while the men had a "game" evening+ beers elsewhere. They informed us about the results. We were all but one pro italians. We feel "we" won.

No more war, more mondials !
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona...ZZ head butted MM after MM said something...we might learn of what was said...maybe, maybe not....whatever it was it was as a red rag to a bull...

one can only imagine how ZZ might be feeling...

ah, 'tis only a game...as in all things in life, this too will pass..

hugs
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Madame.
But if nobody heard what MM said to ZZ, why is it automatically assumed that MM said something racist to ZZ? Only because MM is italian and ZZ a french from algerian origin? Who spread the word that it was racist? Maybe it was just a "football game" swear?
ZZ knew very well the rules of the game, so why did he do something which deserved a red ticket? They are trained professionals, not kids playing on school playground.
But you're right, it's only a game....

No more wars, no more red tickets !
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Simona...'tis a game..and they are professionals...

yet I still am more than curious as to what was said...

the red card was a given...

yet I still am more than curious as to what was said....
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch any of the games but Italian cities must be wonderful places to be tonight!

I remember when Canada beat the US for the men's hockey gold medal in the last Winter Olympics. I guess we were the "losers" but to be around such gleeful exuberance was fantastic! And imagining the celebrations of Italians makes it all fresh again.

We were living on the North Shore and my husband had to get a plane to the US which meant crossing the Lions' Gate and traversing Robson. Right! Shocked I think it took us all of the generous spare time he had planned and then some just to get past downtown! We were enjoying the displays of the Maple Leaf in every size and attitude from being waved by piggybacked toddlers to streaming from the shoulders of teens to serving as in impromptu bullfighter's cape held up for each car as it took its opportunity to move 3' even as we sat on pins and needles for that flight (which Steve just barely made).

But it's the sense of that much joy as a spontaneous communal celebration that I'll never forget and always be glad to have been a minor part of. I hope the memory lasts for the Italians all of the 4 years til the next World Cup and then some! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
~ if Marco Materazzi's comment to Zinedine Zidane was a racist one, the victory is shallow... Crying or Very sad

Madame, IS there anything you heard from commentators that raised this as a question for you?

Just curious.

This is not the first time the player has acted this way:http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9RbEX4SfAvIJ:www.soccernet.com/europe/news/2000/1026/20001026zidane.html+zinedine+%22headbutt%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7, i.e. with a violent head butt to an opponent under stress, and at a time when he was under the spotlight, personally, as he was with this game.

The French really were playing MUCH better than the Italians during overtime.

As for the Italian football league, they have their own problems upon this team's return home. At least this victory demonstrates that individual players from rival teams can indeed unite and play well together. I was quite moved by the way the team supported one another during the penalty kicks.

Now, speaking of girls' night: when are we going to see this much international hooplah over women's teams?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope...

not sure if this will get through...a comment from a Le Monde blog/ Nick July 10 4.29:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://mondial2006.blog.lemonde.fr/mondial2006/2006/07/lhomme_libre.html%23comments&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dle%2Bmonde%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26rls%3DGEUA,GEUA:2006-20,GEUA:en%26sa%3DG

Must be difficult at times to be thought of as a god...perhaps the gods are reminding both ZZ AND his worshippers that he, too, is human. The Arc with the massive laser image of him....a reminder to us all methinks.

Since I'm not a regular soccer viewer...when I saw what I saw I thought..golly what could be said that would bring that out.......still don't know what was said...I wonder if it will make a difference if we know...

not to the "you mustn't headbutt someone in a soccer game" reality...rather it might give us an inkling of the why...if we step out of our shoes for a moment....or perhaps if we imagine stepping in ZZ's shoes..for a moment...I know I know..professional sport etc etc etc..however I've seen enough acting to last me until the next Oscar night....

Salvador Dali would have enjoyed the diving at the soccer...

give me tennis...or swimming....or golf for goodness sakes.. Wink ..but this game ....with the weird subjectivity of the referees...and the blatant dives...if it was played fairly it would indeed be a beautiful game...however in many cases it seems to not be played so..

I think of young children, young footballers, watching these matches...taking it all in..that it's ok to pretend to be hurt..it's ok to be false...anything to win..at any cost... Crying or Very sad When they, in turn, work on pretending to be hurt, they will be able to say "We were taught by experts"...and that goes across the whole World Cup community of teams...to milk fouls...give me tennis!

perhaps there should be two World Cups....one involving teams who dive, and another for those who don't....so there could be two national teams...all in the open...the end of what we see now..."it's part of the international game" I read...well, they can have the international game! Rolling Eyes

methinks that's the answer...until then...one can only hope.

my goodness me...talk about madamerant Exclamation
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

competitive

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay.

Must be difficult to be human, too.

The game requires aggression, ambition and serious commitment. When you're not allowed to use your hands--gotta be one of the most unnatural constraints placed on an athlete--there's also a lot of self-discipline involved. The tension of being in overtime must have been too, too much. Hero's flaw. It is the thing within that leads to undoing. Very Greek tragedy, yes.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if MM said something or not to ZZ. From what I saw, it was a direct head blow directly in MM's belly. But the symptoms are always the same: if one does something wrong, everyone immediately cries "racism" , the magic accusation which is meant to shut people's mouth and prevent a serious investigation. The accused on has to prove his innocence: the accuser is comforted, cajoled etc. I'm less curious of what and if anything was said than who was the source of the accusations, which, at least until now, were not proven. If MM is faulty, let him be punished. But let ZZ or his well intended entourage prove the accusations.

I read the commentary in Le Monde ( on the net): they presume something happened because there is no explanation for ZZ's behaviour. Nobody understands why it happened, and , we , human beings are incapable of coping too long with the unexplicable. So maybe ZZ was furious because he understood France is loosing and MM was the nearest belly to crash his head into. Very human, but very unprofessional 10 minutes before the end. I think this issue is way beyond football, but, let it be..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: