Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Reply with quote

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are my boyfriends favourite. I'd be willing to make them for him, but I can't seem to find a really good recipe. Does anyone have one that they would like to share? I'm open to soft or crunchy.
MelC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna... if you get a big bag of President's Choice chocolate chips... there's a lovely recipe on the back!
beebop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you melt about 100 grams of butter with 120 grams of light or dark sugar, then mix till pale, mix in one egg,then 160 grams plain flour,
and a tea spoon of baking powder,
then important bit, few drops of vanilla essence, and chocolate essance, then melt 100grams of plain choc , and break up another 100 grams of choc and add both types to mixture,
stir till you have ripples of choc through mixture. then make in to balls on baking tray and bake for 20 mins, or golden brown,
the biscuits are yum, chewy and soooooo chocolaty!!!
Deste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/11543?cached=F

I used very good (i.e. better than most supermarket brands, but not one of the most expensive/"superior" options), intense chocolate, chopped up since I didn't have chips around. I probably used more than recommended.

Shared them with friends whose kids loved them as much as they did.
Kyna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really connected, But I have adifferent version of Beebop's peas and honney quotation:

I eat my peas with honney,
I have done all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny
But it sticks them to my knife!

Slightly different, and it scans quite nicely
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's on from the Silver Palate "Good Times" cookbook. We made this so often when my son was growing up, that the book just kind of flops open to the recipe when you take it out! Laughing In our house, when you look up "cookie" in the dictionary, these are in the picture!

They can also be baked as blondies in a 9"X13" baking pan - which has been done here when I didn't have time to fuss with cookies. Rolling Eyes I think they need to bake about 40-45 minutes in that case (I can't remember exactly, just check with a toothpick).

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter (1 Cup), room temperature
1 Cup packed dark brown sugar
1 Cup granualted sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour (I never sifted)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Cups quick cooking oats
12 ounces (or more Wink) semisweet chocolate chips

(Optional - 1 C. coarsely chopped walnuts)

• Cream butter and both sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egs, milk and vanilla and beat until blended.

• Sift (or mix) flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and add to butter mixture. Stir until just blended. Stir in oats. (It will be quite stiff at this point.) Fold in chocolate chips (and nuts if you wish).

• Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (trust me on this one - it's important)

• Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Grease cookie sheets or cover with parchment.

• Shape the dough using a rounded teaspoon for small cookies or a scant tablespoon for large. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges are slightly browned - 9-12 minutes.

• Remove from oven and cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Try them and see what your BF thinks! Enjoy!
LibbyR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make these quite often - kidding myself that because they have oats in them they are healthy. They never last long. The recipe comes from Bill granger's book "Bill's Food".

Chocolate Oatmeal Biscuits

150g unsalted butter, softened
230g soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
125g plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
235g rolled oats
175g chocolate chips

• Preheat oven to 180C.
• Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and smooth.
• Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
• Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl and mix lightly.
• Add oats and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
• Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls and place on baking trays. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour.
• Bake 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden.
• Remove from oven and cool on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

I usually reduce the sugar to about 180g. I always use good quality chocolate - 65% or 70%, which means that I have to cut it into small chunks, so the biscuits are slightly more rustic, but taste so much better. Sometimes I substitute 20-25g of the flour with good quality cocoa for an extra chocolate dimension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: