Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

An Inconvenient Truth
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gingerpale! I have friends in the scientific community who have done an about-face on this one in the last 10 years - from considering global warming as a made-up condition to being sincerely concerned about the fate of our planet. So, when I see knowledgeable people changing their minds based on the evidence, I'm convinced.

My Prius, my flourescent lightbulbs, my composting, buying organic, carrying my own shopping bags, keeping my furnace at 66ยบ (BRRR) and using the clothesline instead of the drier may not make a big difference, but I hope the at least make a difference. I want my son and my grandchildren (who do not yet exist Wink ) to HAVE a planet.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another link for those of you interested in reading more.

http://select.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/opinion/04talking-points.html?pagewanted=all

It's long and there are a lot of links within the article that make it even longer. But I really appreciate that he looks at both sides of the argument in many different areas: glacial melting, biological impact, hurricanes etc. His point is that we may not know the real answer to the question for decades, but to proceed as we are is foolhardy at best and possibly disastrous at worst. I actually found it after reading Reader's Responses to it!
gisele

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading my terribly written post I've realised that I have thrown myself into the flames.

I'm not disputing, and never did dispute, the fact that global warming is an issue, I believe that there is a problem, that global warming is real and that things need to be done about it quickly, whether by people taking their own interest in doing things to help the environment/planet, or by political intervention.

But, I also believe in people getting their information from reputable sources, and not grossly overestimated or underestimated articles etc. One of my pet peeves is of articles not researched or referenced properly and information taken out of context, or generalised too much that all meaning is lost. This is one of the reasons why I take anything written by the media with a grain of salt, hence my comment about the Al Gore site/ Inconvenient Truth, I could find no justification or referencing for any of the statements, which makes me cautious. I guess what I'm trying to get at is Climatologists know what they are talking about, they are the who study the climate/global warming etc. If you want information it is best to get it from them, rather than from a second- or third-hand source where facts can be taken out of context or mis-interpreted.

Im sorry if I have offended anyone, I was (worded in an awful way, I know) trying to explain about getting information from reputable sources. I guess this is an offshoot of my education in a science, but I do believe it is important to research things so that they are better understood.
Lux_Mundi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should just take Al Gore at his word. After all, the man did invent the internet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: