Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Honey-roasted nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ijit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Honey-roasted nuts Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to make homemade honey-roasted nuts? I'm sure the recipe is obvious/simple, but I want to be sure. It seems to me I should be able to toss some cashews (my favorite) with honey and roast for a reasonable amount of time. But knowing me, I'm probably waaaay off. If anyone has a recipe or tips, please let me know. I've already tried a few recipe websites with no luck. Thank you. Shocked
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toast walnuts with honey and cayenne on the stove, but you can do it in the oven. Actually that would provide a more even toast. A couple of tips, don't use a ton of honey, it will cause them to stick together. Next, be so careful when dealing with hot honey, it's like freaking napalm. You may want to toss in a little kosher salt to balance out the sweet.

I think I am going to test this out tonight.

"It's hot ham water."
Expat Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Savory Pecan Praline Reply with quote

Sara Moulton has a recipe for this that goes on a bed of arugula with aged gouda, craisins and a grain mustard viniagrette. It is wonderful, but many of the pecans never make it to the salad. We eat them. It goes something like this:

Make a dry caramel by heating 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan. The key is not to stir it! Toss 2/3 cup of pecans with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and a dash of cayenne in a bowl. When the caramel turns golden, Mix in the pecans quickly, then pour it out onto a cookie sheet. Allow to cool enough to touch, but not all the way. Break into pieces.

I've been toying with the idea of making a nut, seed and dried fruit snack using the basis of this recipe. Perhaps adding flax seeds and craisins. I'll post it here or on my site when I get it perfected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: