Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The horrible deaths of crabs, lobsters etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: The horrible deaths of crabs, lobsters etc Reply with quote

I watched a couple of cookery shows recently with crabs on. One was Market Kitchen, which Clotilde has been on, and the other was Iron Chef America.
On the Market Kitchen they put the crab on it's back, lifted a flap on it's underside and pushed a steel into a hole, wiggling it about for good measure.
On Iron Chef they threw big,live crabs into boiling water. Some tiny marsh crabs were thrown live into a deep fat fryer. I'm sure they chopped a few medium sized crabs in half, still alive.
On another show a lobster was cut in half, lengthways.

It was all a bit grim.
I guess it's just animals being killed for food. Some get bolts in the head, some get their throats cut unstunned.Fish die horribly in nets. There're other deaths aswell.
I think with the crabs it's the legs all over the place that makes it more icky.

Poor crustaceans.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like yet another report from somebody who doesn't know where food comes from.

FWIW: Food does not come in those foam & film packages you find at the market. Until such time as we eat rocks, food always starts out as something living, which has to be killed and processed before finally winding up in those packages.

It's always amused me that nobody gets upset when we kill a beet plant. Talk about inhumane. You literally tear it out of the ground, breaking off many of its apendages in the process, then lay it in a basket to die a lingering death.

Or perhaps you don't think of plants as living creatures?

In each of the cases you cite--except the steel rod in the back, which I'm not familiar with---death comes instantaneously. And, because crustaceans have a different nervous system than mammals, painlessly.

On the other hand, you ever watch crabs in the wild when they get to fighting. Death is neither quick nor painless. They literally tear each other apart.

And when it comes to a slow fight to the death, see how starfish do it.
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do know where food comes from. I think people should be shown how animals are slaughtered from school age.
I don't like all those cellophane wrapped, polystyrene trays of meat which give no idea of where the meat actually came from.

The guy with steel said death was instantaneous.

I'm a biologist so I know about death and the 'cruelties' of nature. Crabs die fighting for their lives against octopus's (?) and squid and many other things.

As for the plant thing I recently ripped the leaves off a captive basil plant. Horrible.

I was making an observation about something I hadn't seen before.
Ramon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the lobsters feeling pain, or any invertebrates for that matter. Read this http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/14/tech/main673989.shtml
David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article Ramon. I shall now be able to continue to crush the live bodies of oysters between my flesh ravishing teeth totally guilt free! Very Happy
Mister Choc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the Crusastun? It humanely electrocutes the unfortunate beast. It was on Market Kitchen. The guy shoved a huge crab in and 10 secs later it was dead. When the meat was compared to live boiled crab the chefs said it was much more delicate and the colour was different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: