Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

London
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: London Reply with quote

Phil and I will only be in London for a short amount of time on our trip and want to make sure we don't waste our time on tourist traps. When we arrive our hotel is in Earls Court, and frankly I have forgotten what part of London that is. On our way home we are staying very near Portobello Road in Notting Hill. What do you all suggest we do? Also, where can I get a traditional english breakfast? The friend I am staying with in Nottinghamshire refuses to let me eat black pudding ,but I have to.
Oh, and where can I have some truely amazing Indian food?

"It's hot ham water."
green crisps yes or no?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: London Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Phil and I will only be in London for a short amount of time on our trip and want to make sure we don't waste our time on tourist traps. When we arrive our hotel is in Earls Court, and frankly I have forgotten what part of London that is. On our way home we are staying very near Portobello Road in Notting Hill. What do you all suggest we do? Also, where can I get a traditional english breakfast? The friend I am staying with in Nottinghamshire refuses to let me eat black pudding ,but I have to.
Oh, and where can I have some truely amazing Indian food?

Hi, I have just returend from Christmas in Spain, but I can answer more fully for you tomorrow. As no doubt you like food, you must visit Borough Market (put it in Google for more info) it is incredible and packed with wonderful produce (the website doesn't do it justice). As for Indian food, Brick Lane (closest tube is Aldgate East) is the place to go. This area has a large Indian/Pakistani community and is packed with Indian places, all competing for your custom.
Otherwise in my view Tate Modern is a must, as well as Greenwich, Hampstead Heath Sir John Soanes museum and highgate cemetery. It is also important to not just stay in the centre, as the 'real' london is a little bit further out....

Avoid Trafalger Square and Soho, oh an Buck Palace is terrible as well!. But who I am to say....

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask for more guidance...

Martin
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin, if you have more info on the real London I would be happy to hear. I would like to find places that are off the tourist path, that isn't really my thing.
I am excited to check out Brick Lane for restaurants, out where I am I can't find decent Indian food unless I make it myself.

Thanks again for your help!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I know it sounds morbid and touristy but I think they still do Jack the Ripper walking tours----at night!! oooooo Spooky Twisted Evil

(hey and I tried to call you the other night--but you are not listed!!)
Monica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that black pudding tastes awful, it's just knowing what is in it that makes me unwell... This past May, our B&B hostess in Scotland served some up, it felt rude not to eat it, but I just couldn't do more than one bite. She didn't bother heating any for us on the following mornings!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have effectively talked myself into it. I am just telling myself that all meat has blood, this is just done a little differently. I do still feel a bit dirty, but it is getting easier.

"It's hot ham water."
laurenz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: london Reply with quote

I highly recommend checking out st john bread & wine. there are two - one is opposite spitalfields market (nearest tube: Liverpool Street) and the other is in Clerkenwell (nearest tube: Farringdon). google and you will find.

They are restaurants and bakeries, and also wine shops. They offer traditional British cooking - some offal, and mostly it is quite meaty - but it is quality all the way, seasonal cooking and not overpriced.

the brick lane indian restaurants are a couple of blocks up from spitalfields. i personally think they are over rated and all taste the same....!

If you buy Time Out when you arrive, they have an excellent foodie section with new restaurant reviews and recommendations for eating out in north/east/south/west London.

Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant in Hoxton (nearest tube: Old Street) has started doing breakfasts (i think it's about 8am-11.30am) and that would be a great place to taste a traditional (but good quality) english breakfast. Otherwise there are countless crappy 'greasy spoon' cafes that are incredibly cheap and they do the works!

Hope this helps, Lauren
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lauren,
Thank you for the information, I am always happy to hear what the locals recommend. Where would you go if you were going out for Indian food? I am currently deprived of Indian restaurants, so this will be sort of an event for me.

Calling all locals! Where is a great place to have a beer that isn't a tourist trap?

"It's hot ham water."
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: london Reply with quote

Most every hotel I've ever stayed at in England has included a traditional English breakfast with the price of the room. You get eggs, bacon, beans, a cooked tomato, toast, and some tea or coffee. The quality varies depending on where you're staying.

I'm a big fan of Sandra Gustafson's Great Eats London. There's now good asian food and even sushi there now. It's slightly different than the asian food we have in California so it's fun to explore. She recommends Noorjahan in South Kensington (not too far from Earl's Court) for Indian food. My English friend Dave says you have to go to East London for the best Indian food. Any place with a bunch of East Indians in it would be good.

Besides many of the things already mentioned like the Tate modern, I like walking along the river on the south side. It's also worthwhile to find some small non westend type plays that are all over the place.

Elizabeth
London Lucy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: London Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

For good Indian food I would suggest either Zaika in Kensington - expensive but amazing - or to see a completely different side of London a trip to Southhall will reward you with some authentic Indian food. I don't know if you've ever had a dosa (a very large, very thin spicy pancake filled with a potato based curry) before but its a must when in Southall. To get there you need to take an overground train from Paddington station and when you leave Southall station turn right down the hill. If you do go - on that hill there is a huge and wonderful supermarket (next to the rather more mundane Iceland) which sells everything from plantains to gram flour to lassi. Everytime I go I find something new!

Hope that helps.

Lucy
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy,
I am totally checking out the Southall, it sounds great. The store you recommended is at the top of my list. I love stores devoted to ethnic foods, and where I live I am totally deprived of them. Thanks for the tip!

Elizagard,
Thanks for the restaurant tip, it sounds like it will be close to my hotel.

"It's hot ham water."
me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Another Indian... Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

When I was in London last year, my brother-in-law took us to a restaurant called Vama on the Kings Road in Chelsea. We had a fabulous chicken dish with peppers, delicious lamb kebabs and an excellent prawn curry dish. Vama seems a bit on the pricey side, (but then again, most of London seems pricey to me!) however, the food and cozy setting makes for a nice evening out.

Cheers,
:) Shoma
woodstocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next week is a reading week here at uni and my flat mate and i have a long weekend (5 days) so we're thinking of maybe heading to London to take advantage of the free time. my mom suggested the Corus Hyde Park (form. Plaza Hyde Park), any other suggestions or areas for 2 college girls? i was thinking maybe 3 days/2 nights. Smile
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT???????????You're not studying for exams???????????

HAVE FUN!!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
WHAT???????????You're not studying for exams???????????

HAVE FUN!!

lol. actually exams don't start until after spring break which is mar. 24-apr 17. 3 WEEKS OFF. (what is this world coming to?) this is more of a mid-term break. cancelling class is optional, i still have 2/3.

my dad suggests i stay 4 days. hmm, way to go dad for encouraging saving money. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: