Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

calling all haikuers!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare fish to gain wealth?
Replace hut with palace grand?
Best to grill with thyme.

Handful of red beans
To strew across the field like
Drops of giant's blood.

(The culinary ones are fun to write. The one by b'sdaughter is lovely & tells a favorite tale so effectively.)

Last edited by Deste on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh madame I'm so jealous a real party with a theme! What to wear? Believe it or not I am this very moment in a t-shirt with Peter Pan on the front! He's sittin' on a pirate ship!

Please please lots of pictures!

fun X 5
fun X 7
fun X 5

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merci in abundance for all contributors...

golly, I'be just gone to the front of the house to do a little clean up...and there..at the top of the steps (only Judy has seen said steps Wink ) Seig has placed two rather large poles...(earlier in the day I had heard hammering...knowing the lovely man it could have been anything!!!) seems they are to keep the massive cardboard pumpkin coach in place...guests are to walk through the coach...as you do Smile

oh, I forgot...pumpkin soup of course.

the master set designer has also attached a rather large mirror at the side of the front door...with signs reading: mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all? and, next!

it feels rather lovely ...this party with theme thing...we used to have a lot of them years ago...nice to reconnect...

a really fun one was the movie party...you could come as someone or something from a movie...oh my ...it was a hoot!

we had a long strip of red fabric on the driveway...sort of Oscarish...I'd asked the local video shop if I could have some of the cardboard cutout folk...yep...so there was Harrison Ford in tux (Sabrina) to welcome all.

there was much to organize for that one...so my outfit was left to the last minute as it were...remember Blazing Saddles? remember the baked beans? Well, I was the baked beans...wore basic black and covered myself with baked-bean coloured felt ovals...oh plus the face was dotted as well...

Oz folk might remember a mini series years back..The Brides of Christ...about a convent of nuns ...in the early days after Vatican II...it was beautifully made..(there was one glaring technical hitch...one of the young woman making her vows was in white..as is the custom...however...far far far toooooooooo much skin showing...as in skin below the neck...there is NO NO NO NO way such a dress would have been permitted)...ok back to party...there was Carmel dressed as a bride...

we had had a singalong...a massed chorus of say...40 people...we sang ONE song..forgot which...from some film...

imagine this....Carmel at one stage is draped on the front steps...pretending to kiss Harrison's shoes...I'm on the top step...baked beaned as it were...alongside me was a policeman (his job) dressed as goodness knows what...forgotten....

now, my dears...it's a normal party...the only big sound was the song...

along come two policemen....not party goers....walking down the red carpet....lights on either side....

yep..methinks they held their collective breaths for a few nanoseconds...

they had had a phone call....methinks they were expecting something quite different...different in another way!

moi: "I know YOU can't tell me who complained, however I can tell you!"

a particular neighbour didn't like me...ah thee well...it happens....

so, officers left with smiles ...

it was a wondrous party...

and some time next week I'll let you know all about this one to come...

off to practise singing The Ugly Duckling...not sure about some of those high notes Wink

will imagine any c&zers who would like to be with us, well, I'll imagine you with us!!!

glass raised to fun
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it will be a fun party Madame.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Sweetness...do let me know who or what you'd come as...do do do please Smile
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never attended a costume party as an adult--sad, yes--but I remember my parents dressing as a Brownie and Cub Scout (like Girl Scouts or Girl Guides for littler kids) and going off to a party one night.
Also, my (Irish) mother as a native girl/island beauty, and my father as a rum-runner--but I was too little and they were unable to make me understand what a rum-runner was. I remember he had a 3 day beard and a rope belt.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale..have you ANY idea how much I wish you were coming to the party?

'n Barbara...Cinderella at the ball you say Smile

we've just finished dinner...Sieg and Soph working on the gingerbread mansion...

probably an extra guest..if she can shuffle a Saturday thing to Sunday...6 at dinner...all thinking..."Now, what can Nic come as?"....Soph's suggestion..."The Emperor's seamstress"....tape measure around her neck...pin pad cushion at her wrist...am sure Soph will deck her out ...

oh this is fun...a few jobs before pillow time...and a few more tomorrow...then face paint...and let the party begin...and....ACTION!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok my dears...10.27pm...'n the darling Cathy got them all..clever chicken..she might write a few words about the party...hugs!

Cathy here from the actual event in progress. Fabulous fun and much nostalgia recounting favourite fables and tales (obviously I've read a lot of tales...). Pam (one of the other invitees) and myself worked all out the haikus with much head scratching and merriment and just got into the swing of it and felt like a little more brain teasing.

By way of background, I was born in Waco, Tx but lived in Savannah, Ga and moved to Australia when I was about 14. My mother and dad emigrated with 5 children in tow.

Best wishes to you all where ever you may be but now the Scarecrow and I (I came as Dorothy - with Toto of course) must sign off and rejoin the festivities.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The morning after.. has the coach turned back into a pumpkin? Sounds like you did have fun, children's fairy stories so compelling, not really for children at all, at all!
Old tv show "Mork and Mindy", Mork from another planet (Ork)--on Ork you are born old and over your lifetime go back to babyhood! THAT would take the sting out of death!
Don't forget photos, please make pictures appear soon, just leave the ashtrays and empty liquor bottles for now, you can clean up later.

Question about the nickname "Oz"--did this come after the film "Over the Rainbow", as a kind of pun, or is it just a phonetic shortening of "Australia"?

Or are you really in Oz?
Which foodstuffs most enjoyed by guests?

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale...now 9.48pm...a tad tired...

2.30am Sunday found us (my darling 'n I) quickly making the failproof "creme brulee french toast" from epicurious.com.....then I realised my face was still covered in white face paint...swanlike
Wink

sometime around 3am head reached the pillow..Judy..the moon was extra exquisite last night...

no ashtrays..36 guests ranging in age from 22 to 91 (my papa) ~ none are smokers ~ however there were empty bottles!

my intention was to download some photos, however a dear friend was sick and unable to come to the party...so visited her this afternoon...

I promise tomorrow...will post a sprinkling of snaps to give you a feel of the night..

as for the food~ the Zanzibarian fish balls went down a treat..as did the Greek meatballs...someone bought a fairy floss (cotton candy) machine...'n industrial strength food colouring...care for some witchy black fairy floss...'n wait until you see the gingerbread mansion...it is stunning...

all in all a wondrous night....the Thumbelina storytelling was a hoot...I asked for 8 volunteers...to the kitchen for a brief rundown..."will we have to speak?" I was asked..No! all you have to do is get up when your character's name is mentioned and mime....Thumbelina was played by Josh, very tall...and dressed as the wolf in the grandma's clothes...we had a swallow...minnow...rich mole....frog mum...frog son...the King of the Flower Fairies...theatre sports are much fun....the audience sat in a big circle, and the actors sort of found wherever they could..it worked beautifully

oh...gluehwein was made by Sieg..yummy on that cold night...

as to the Oz thing...not too sure.

in the early '60s there was a satirical magazine put out by a group of university students..Oz...maybe then..

serious eyeball tiredness setting in Shocked

photos soon...

the next one is to be "A Work of Art"....so...think about it...you'd be coming as a work of art ....as creative as you like...next Aprilish...
am thinking of giving each guest a blank sheet of paper...a pencil ...and various coloured pens..maybe paints...not too sure of the logistics!..anyway the point will be to draw a self-portrait...within a given timeframe...perhaps 15 minutes or so...imagine the energy!
hugs

Last edited by madameshawshank on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday Madame will have to be the creative director for C&Z's international reunion, so we can meet everyone in a very artistically high-key manner! The venue might have to be Paris...

In the meantime, thanks for letting us imagine along. Lovely.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shall we book the Jardin de Luxembourg?...'n Sieg would simply have to come on board....his imagination knew no bounds! some young children have come to have a look...they are wide-eyed in wonder...the joy of walking along the yellow brick road...looking into the circular mirror pond...

photos tomorrow...will do ma best!

Vermeer or Klimt? for the next party...wouldn't it be wonderful if a c&zer or 2 were in the vicinity of Penrith next year....keep it in mind!!!!!! we work on "the more the merrier" principle...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some Once Upon a Time photos

there is a button to the left of the white oval...when it was pressed, a bell rang and the crown flashed lights....notice the mice Wink the cream circle is a handle ...the door opened...
[/img]

The Ugly Duckling (aka swan Wink ) with the 'snowy white back' a line from the Danny Kaye song from "Hans Christian Andersen"~ at the beginning of the night, my face was seriously white.....'n Lofty, one of Snow White's unknown (to date) friends.

early gingerbread preparation ~ Sophie placed two gummy bears in each window....they melted as the dough baked...looked very glassish

note the yellow bricks...a path of same took you around various stations...

very old food covers...bowls for the 3 bears

the three pigs station...part of the sign reads "we stand by our products"..Sieg then crossed out 'by' and wrote 'under' Wink funny man..

rose fairy lights (Beauty and the Beast) ..I found the lights at the Byron Bay Blues Fest...the woman who makes them uses real leaves...the skeleton of leaves...dyes them..and every so gently fashions them into roses...exquisite...to the left of the entrance, Sieg had attached a mirror to the wall..."mirror mirror on the wall"

'n last one...the gingerbread hacienda...the trees were made from fairy floss (cotton candy)...and a little light was inside ...very pretty...

oh ok..one more! a picture of Cinderella 'n the Prince projected onto the paper...the task was to stick a slipper on her foot...you had to turn around a few times...and by that time you were in front of the image..so you couldn't see anything..very funny

so my dears...a taste of the night...'twas so much fun!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps...the mice were made from paper..in case anyone thought they were really truly mice Wink
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put so much work into this party! What fun--thanks for sharing it with us!

(And I love your personal costume--as much as the baked beans. Creative--really forces everyone to think.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: