Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

let's go to the movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, "Dancer in the Dark"-- not a good date movie! Though I suppose 2 people who both loved that strange film would be soulmates forever.

Rich took me to the Sacramento (California) zoo for our initial date--our first movie was "Stars Wars"! (the original). I'm still torn between Rich and Harrison Ford..
David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent Sunday afternoon being gob-smacked by Perfume, a wonderful film based on the David Susskind novel of the same name. The first 20 minutes might be a bit much for some people---17th Century Paris was a filthy and smelly place----but both Dick and I were totally captivated by this strange tale!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the film of Perfume, but I loved the book and went round recommending it to everyone. The film got panned here, which put me off, otherwise I would have gone. Maybe it will come to tv and I'll watch it then.

But definitely read the book, it's fab!
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw two French films at the MFA. We like My Best Friend
and perplexed by Hotel Habarti.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfume follows the book very closely, th ony thing is the guy was too good looking.
eileen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in a nice tie-in of movies and food, I have recently volunteered to be the 'Soup Star' at a summer festival of 'movies of the senses.'
At the hangar, the city has dumped a bunch of sand to make a beach and shows free movies in August. A different volunteer every night makes 60 litres of soup to serve during the intermission (around 11pm). We get a budget of around 30 euros.
Now....the question is, which movie? And which soup?
For the dates I'm available, here are the choices of movies: Dancer in the Dark (but based on previous postings, doubtful); Red Road; Daredevil; Taxedermia; Mar Aldentro; Zatoichi.
I'm thinking it might be fun to do a soup that is somehow connected with the movie...with limitations, of course...since I'm vegetarian, I don't know what I would make that pairs with Taxidermia! Laughing
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eileen--you have an interesting challenge! Those movies all have odd and tragic themes. It's a good thing soup is a "comfort food"! The 2 that I would choose to see first are "Red Road" and "Mar Adentro"-- purely from what I've read @ IMDB.

If my arithmetic is sound (ha!), you are making 15 gallons of soup for $42.
(60 litres for 30 euros.) My favorite canned soup would cost $180--yikes. ("Progresso" brand, the lentil is good!) I suppose potato soup or bean soup or rice/noodle soup would be best, but not being vegetarian I can't imagine these without a nice chicken or beef stock base!
I had to laugh, thinking "SOUP? At a movie? In the DARK?" -- but I see that it is being served at intermission! A nice civilized discussion/soup intermission.

Please tell us how this goes! I hope others will contribute soup suggestions (with recipes) and movie reviews.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now....the question is, which movie? And which soup?

Now there's a question, eh? Angel hair soup for Angels with Dirty Faces? Tomato Soup for Three Colours Red? Pea Soup for any film set in old London? Cock a-leekie soup for Kidnapped?

Or... Bring me the Soup of Alfredo Garcia!! Noodles and chicken stock for One of our Dinosaurs is missing! Mulligatawny for Some Like it Hot! Very Happy
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingmar Bergman's soap commercials!..no joking Wink

http://www.slatev.com/player.html?id=1127687094

oh how I love this cyberspace thing...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no wonder her skin looked so luminous in Casablanca! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death at a Funeral ~

oh my how I laughed~ as I left the cinema I realised my jaws were aching...and somehow or other my ribcage as well...

ah, thought I, I'll check rottentomatoes.com and see what the rest of the world has thought of this laugh fest...

ummmmmmmmmmm of the 111 reviews (Time mag etc) 69 were positive

the thing is...so much of what happens in this film COULD so easily happen...for anyone who's seen it ..well imagine...what on earth would you do!

I doing a back to back on Sunday...at our dear privately run cinema...so different to those multi whatever they're called...

4 and then Michael Clayton ~ glad there'll be breathing time between the two Wink

am looking forward to Jesse James and the killer Ford(oh I know it's not the correct title..however you know the film I mean!)...oh golly gang...isn't a wondrous thing..to be able to go and see films....what an invention! Visiting the Lumiere brothers' house in Lyon was a treasured experience for me...I took big deep breaths of filmness!

here's a snap of moi at the bottom of the staircase (the woman at the desk kindly took the photo) ...isn't that carving a treat...if you're at all interested in the history of film...do do do and a few more dos...make your way to Lyon...feast on food AND film...DO! a gentle order...

the link takes you to the house...
if you scroll down you'll see a photo of the magnificent staircase....while looking at these photos I'm back there in a nanosecond ~ I can remember nearby men playing boule lyonnaise in the park near the metro ...coats hung on the low branches of the trees...so delightful..yep...there in an instant!

http://www.institut-lumiere.org/english/frames.html

as for Elizabeth the Golden Age...next time I see it I'm going to have industrial strength headphones...so no dialogue can be heard..(oh there were a few bits and pieces that flew...however by and large not) and I'll be listening to some cd of Elizabethan music...I'll feast on the visual wonder of the film and forget the screenplay...unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!! how did Cate manage to utter some of it! Shocked at times I felt I was watching a caricature

I'd love to read about your most recent viewings..

Last edited by madameshawshank on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw Death at a Funeral when in Australia and loved it. Lovely pic Madame of you and the staircase. I hope you are planning on visiting me on the Gold Coast soon. You too Jude. In permanent residence from the 30th Dec.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we'll visit for sure, Barbara. Any excuse to travel is a good one for us!
How's the packing/sorting/throwing out before you move to another country going?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly Barbara! and since this is a movie thread and Jude keeps an eye on things...maybe a documentary could be being made of your move Wink

glad you enjoyed the funeral flick...I came across one review on the ABC movie page...the guy saw it with his wife, his brother and his wife (from memory) and his parents...

he and his wife: loved it
brother and in law: hated it
mother: sort of liked it
father: fell asleep...
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse James is going to be good - I can feel it.

Saw Julie Delpy's 2 Days in Paris recently & loved it. The culture shock aspect didn't produce as much zanity as I expected, a pleasant surprise. But I did love the Parisian parents, played by Julie's parents & the final scene is such a nice culmination of it all. Real feelings - sweet & a little hard.

Oh, and this is a hand-held camera type movie, catching closeup human moments like Woody Allen I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 26 of 30

Jump to: