Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

let's go to the movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley Temple
Meryl Streep
Cher

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
georgia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanessa redgrave
helen mirren
judy dench
maggie smith
meryl streep

i am aware of the average age here...but, unfortunately, i can't think of even one young actress i can picture picking up the mantle. i'd be delighted to be proven wrong...maybe cate blanchett...gwyneth on a good day (her mom's terrific...then again, there's that age thingy)...juliette binoche, perhaps?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I have forgotten Maggie Smith? Yes!

This is hard because you have to keep such much in mind at once!
How to compare Betty Davis with Winona Ryder? The framework of the "times" they are set in make them almost apples and oranges?
The story, the story, the story is so important to me--Deste, I am intimidated when I read your posts, I loved "Arsenic and Old Lace", the acting style just "fashion", but the comedy is intact, no?

Simona, was your husband looking over your shoulder when you dismissed Cary G.?

Sarape, it would be interesting to hear your opinion of newer movies too, like "Kill Bill" even "Pulp Fiction". Burn up some some popcorn, watch, report. Plants to tend? Oh, fig it!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actresses? Don't forget Charlize Theron (she's gorgeous but that shouldn't occlude the fact that the lady can act) and Scarlett Johanssen (who has the most plastic face I can think of at the moment). Ashlee Judd ripped my heart out in De-Lovely. It's the only thing I've seen her in but it portends well.

Maggie Smith, who's already been mentioned, is someone I'd just love to have a conversation with! She can act, of course, but don't you think that there's depth and a reservoir of wiseass beyond her grace? I do.

Same goes for Meryl Streep who also ripped my heart out in one of my all time favs, Out of Africa.

I miss Shelley Duvall. I guess her quirky look limited her, but I was always riveted by her and thought she had talents that went way beyond comedy.

And, Simona, I'm so glad to see you're OK and thinking about happier things at the moment. Hope we've risen to your challenge.
simona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale, no, my husband wasn't looking over my shoulder. He knows exactly what is my type ( him, I love for the last 27 years, but that doesn't mean he is my type....). No, really the Cary G, or Heston, Gregory Peck etc, never were my type. I'm more in the Daniel de Lewis kind of type Embarassed . And many others, but if I'll confide on open forum, who knows what kind of personality I might reveal Laughing Twisted Evil
As for actresses, Georgia , I'm with you except Meryl Streep which I really can't stand. I want to point that they are all english, except Meryl Streep. I also like very much Charlotte Rampling, Annouk Aimee, Emma Thomson, - that says a lot about our age bracket, doesn't it?
Rainey, thank you for thinking of me. I'm OK, we are still about 40 km away from the Hizbollah rockets. But I cleaned our private shelter. And installed the phone, put in water , radio and bicuits. Just in case.

No more war.
Deste

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona wrote:
Are there no actresses in this world ?
Nobody mentioned his/her favourite actress. And then , we women complain of being treated unfair!!!!No more war

Simona: You're right, you're right. This thread got away from Madame's rhapsody on the experience of watching movies and ended up inventorying the appeal of male actors to women. As I mentioned before, acting wasn't my principal criterion. It was a visceral response; Sarape mentioned two favorite male actors when it comes to dramatic skill. You're also correct to point out the Anglo bias even here where there are French-speakers like Rainey and lots of Australians. Natural with the Americans, but also a factor of what an African professor calls the "Hegemony of Hollywood." Judging from the comments of members of Netflix (a U.S. business that rents DVDs), there are a lot of folk who don't like reading subtitles, and don't like movies made in black & white.

And gingerpale, I got introduced to film young, took a class in Paris when in college (the professor's son was the little boy in Truffaut's *Small Change* who has the best line) and later was fortunate to serve as a teaching assistant in a department that did not have a graduate program of its own; otherwise I would never have been hired. Screwball comedy is a favorite, so I was surprised I didn't like "A & Old Lace." I well up watching commercials and am fond of pretty cheesy stuff, too, including teen comedies and sappy romance even when one of the characters is Spiderman. Just cannot stand most commercial drivel, violent stuff, vehicles for stars whose appeal escapes me.

Meryl Streep is someone I truly admire because of her versatile skill, intelligence and utter humanity. She projects warmth. Liv Ullman: same reasons. I'd say across the board, Bergman's actresses stand out. Scarlett Johansson. Asian cinema is something I wish I knew better, unfortunately there are few older Japanese films released on DVD, so it's hard to make up for gaps, though that is changing. The names that stick out for me are those of directors rather than actors or actresses.

Speaking of Roger Ebert, a popular critic in Chicago mentioned earlier, he offers interesting commentary for *Floating Weeds* (Ozu) that attends to visual style, not just story and acting. He often surprises me by liking both what I would consider horrible dreck and what I most admire or find entertaining. Always articulate. Goes to show you how personal our tastes are--not always easy to dissect.
Sarape

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood: we can agree that both Cary Grant and James Mason et al are top-notch actors. I give you Grant for the sex appeal and understand his near-universal attraction.

I've simply developed a taste for other actors: James Mason, E.G. Robinson, Bogart, Brando, even the three James-Dean movies (he was phenomenal and what could he have done had he lived?)

Also, fond of Michael Redgrave, Olivier, Alex Guiness, and Peter O'Toole.

Women: all-time favorite is Lauren Bacall. Her and Bogart in Key Largo, Dark Passage, The Big Sleep are divine.

Also like Bette Davis.

Merle Streep: not really my type. Not enough spark.

Hepburn: too much spark for me.

Regarding modern movies. I usually don't like them.

Though some modern favorites: Schindler's List (absolutely a wonderful film and Liam Neeson is a joy to watch), Glengarry Glenross.

[/b]
simona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Peter O'Toole, my favourite, and maybe the only blond and blue eyed man I ever liked. In "Lord Jim" especially. And in "Beckett".
I'm happy I'm not the only one who doesn't like Streep. Good to have you back, Sarape. I do like Sean Connery too.
I didn't see Schindler's List. I never see any movies dealing with the Holocaust. There was also the film with Roberto Benini ( Life is Beautiful?) I couldn't see.
I also loved Simone Signoret, can't forget her in "Ship of fools". But then, her husband, Yves Montand was not bad at all either...and he could sing too.

No more war.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape your spark-o-meter for actresses is a riot! Also, a new movie you might like is "Good Night and Good Luck."

Deste, glad to know you won't ostracize me should I say flim instead of film! Yes, Ebert's stuff is so well written, and he just seems like such a decent intelligent guy. I hope he can come back.
I can understand that subtitles are a slight problem, but you get used to them so quickly (like 40 seconds into the movie). I'm sure I'll be renting more foreign films now, (thanks to this thread!) one I liked very much was "Rules of the Game."

Simona I'm glad every time I see you here!

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:

"Rules of the Game."
I love this movie & I love Jean Renoir!

Appropriate for a forum on a blog created by a spirited young Parisian, if you ever get a chance to see "Zazie Dans le Metro," go!!!! I don't own a VCR and missed a local showing a couple of summers ago. It's charming and great fun; cross your fingers for a DVD release. http://worldfilm.about.com/library/films/blzazie.htm
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Good Night and Good Luck a month ago on DVD and thought it only good, not that great. I much preferred Capote.

Simona, I understand why you wouldn't watch Holocaust films, but Schindler's List is really wonderful and powerful. Life is Beautiful is an enjoyable movie.

I forgot to mention Ingrid Bergman. Yes, I do like her and Grant together, especially in Indiscrete and Notorious. I prefer Bacall, though.

Lauren Bacall to me has the ideal combination of sex and sophistication. A she is very subtle -- which is nice.

I watched again on Staturday night, Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes with Michael Redgrave. What a wonderful, comic, suspense film. I think it is one of the all-time most well-done movies. More people should try and see this film.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Gong Li? Magnficent range, and incredibly alluring without ever undressing.
I'm working my way through Asian movies this summer, after spending a rainy spring with French comedies and German Fassbenders.
This fall? Australian movies. Who knows some good ones?
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband once had a conversation with a man in a bar he thought he knew. It was only later he realised he'd been chatting with James Mason.

CB - I'll come back with some Aussie movies later today.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, Barbara. I think that happens to character actors more often than major stars but I bet he enjoyed having a conversation with someone who felt quite natural rather than starstruck! Wink
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Netflix is a great way to access foreign films otherwise unavailable to me.

Chicago Bear, may I suggest Tony Takitani? It's a hauntingly beautiful story of a man who falls in love with a woman who's obsessed with fashion, his relationship with his father, with himself and the world around him. Sensual and strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 4 of 30

Jump to: