Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Help! Need a new New Year's Eve ritual!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Help! Need a new New Year's Eve ritual! Reply with quote

My old way of ringing in the new year was to buy two chili cheese dogs with onions from Lucky Boy (an old greasy spoon institution in Pasadena) and fry my brain by watching the Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci Fi Channel.

Now that I've moved away from Pasadena, my old new year tradition is out the window. I don't go to New Year's parties; I prefer to spend New Year's Eve alone or with a friend at the house. I don't have cable tv anymore either.

I really loved those oh-so-good-but-they're-oh-so-bad for you chili cheese dogs and it was the only time of year I'd eat them. (I'm convinced that hot dogs gave my dog Skippy a tumor on his back.)

I haven't discovered any really really great junk food in San Diego yet, so I need a really memorable bad for you meal and something to do that doesn't require cable tv. Any suggestions?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?

What's the big deal? Using store-boughten items you can whip up a couple of chili cheese dogs in about 90 seconds---even less if you have a microwave.

Not that I understand the point of eating crap. But everybody makes their own choices.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harpospeaking, I often recommend the "Chowhound" site for people in America. This is a thread from someone who is leaving San Diego and wants to remember some good food--

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/672855

p.s. I looked a bit at your www. --liked it very much!
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYHeirloomer --- I know eating chili cheese dogs is essentially putting crap into your body. That's why I only do it once a year and I wait with baited breath for New Year's Eve to do it. So, if I'm going to put a nasty chili cheese dog into my body, it might as well be the best , tastiest, nasty chili cheese dog anyone can find. And the best kind won't be coming out of my kitchen! When I'm saving up all year to be really bad, I like to go all the way.

gingerpale --- Thanks for the chowhound recommendation! I forgot all about sites like that where you can get references for restaurants. As for my tv watching marathon, I was thinking about watching all six hours of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Colin Firth never really did it for me, but this version is the closest to the book. It's either that, or watching the Star Wars series, episodes 4-6.

Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't involve food, but it's still a way to commemorate the New Year: on New Year's Eve, write down a list of everything that you want to leave behind in the old year (habits, hard feelings, growth experiences). Now,burn it and let it go. You may also write on toilet paper and flush if you can't find a safe way to burn the paper. When you get done, make a list or a collage of all that you want to fill your life with in the next year. Give thanks for what was, and what will be.

NOW go eat something celebratory! Cool
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpospeaking, I thought of Chowhound because I recently saw this thread there
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/641252
about the kind of chili that tops dogs, as opposed to the kind you put in a bowl.

Mmel'ours (what does the apostrophe replace?) you are thoughtful and patient--I just hope 2010 works well for me, no work on my part! Wink
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmel'ours --- that's a great idea! Sounds very cathartic . . . flushing down your bad habits literally down the toilet! I think celebratory food, however subject to interpretation, is a must.

On that note, I might upgrade to a Peking duck for next year's New Year's Eve dinner. They sell them at Chinese noodle stores in San Diego and in LA where I used to live, so there's hardly any effort in getting one.

sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where I was just reading about New Year's celebrations, and how it's a fairly new tradition to celebrate the Eve with a big bash, instead of New Year's Day. I'm all for takeout and a movie and early to bed. Our local independent theater is offering a New Year's Day Marx Brothers marathon. Smile
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! If only they'd show Marx Brothers films in theaters in my city! I would love to say that my first act of 2010 was watching the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup.

Whether I like it or not, I'm forced to have a mellow New Year's Eve. I caught a cold yesterday and I feel horrible today. Not my ideal way of ringing in the new year!

Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how about a beeg bowl of chilli with pasta with a glass of champagne (you can get half bottles) followed by chocolate cake and watching a movie of your choice.

Maybe... The Big Lebowski or if you want something trashier, watch the Matrix trilogy with the sound off and make up your own dialogue - much more interesting and funnier!! Or watch something classy like His Girl Friday or It Happened One Night... or Cyrano de Bergerac (the Depardieu version), or Scaramouche. Or It's a Wonderful Life, or Roman Holiday.

Or put some music on and boogie alone with it. I'd recommend a surf music compilation or maybe the best of the Cramps!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear -- "beeg" bowl, "something trashier", "boogie" -- who or what has stolen Griffin?

My poor Rich has a cold, was sound asleep at midnight. I was watching William Powell and Myrna Loy being Nick and Nora Charles, the famous detective/detectette team in a "Thin Man" marathon. Scrumptious dresses & dialogue! A wonderful doggie. We once (sob!) had an Airedale mix, his name was Hero.

Our dinner was a dish called--no kidding--Sirloin Croquettes. Glorified burgers, seasoned, rolled in breadcrumbs, sauteed in butter. Just as tasty as can be, he loves 'em. Dessert, Boston Cream Pie. (Do you know this cake in England? I searched BBC Food, no mention.)

2010! at 12am I was puzzled for a minute at the distant popping noises--fireworks! Too cold lately--Christmas day went from 14F to 22F (about minus 7C) here in Utah. Today 39F, 4C!

Griffin--chili with pasta --we have chili-mac, probably similar, scrumptious.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Griffin has stolen Griffin! Let that be a lesson to him... me...er..!!! Shocked

I did see a dvd box set of the Thin Man films with Powell and Loy. Fabulous stuff, tho' with the amount they drink in them I am amazed they could still stand!

Glorified burgers?!! I think Sir Loin Croquette was a medieval knight and friend to Richard the Lionheart... but I could be wrong! Don't know Boston Cream Pie in the UK, unless it was made by those in our Boston, Lincolnshire, which I strongly suspect isn't the case.

We too had fireworks popping, but alas, no snow but for a thin decorative frosting.

Harpospeaking, naturally you'd want to see the Marx Bros.! But a Monty Python filmfest might do as well.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tho' with the amount they drink in them I am amazed they could still stand!

That part of the movies was 100% true to the books, Griffin.

I have, as some of you know, been researching a book on the role of food and cooking in detective stories. The Charles' are about the only well-known gumshoes for whom food seems unimportant, because they drink their dinner. And also lunch. And snacks. And...... Laughing
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin --- do movie theatres in London ever have Monty Python movie marathons? I think there's a giant cultural gap there. If you ever plan on opening a movie theatre, I hope you have a proper Monty Python movie marathon every New Year's Eve and a Marx Brothers movie marathon on April Fool's Day.

Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remembered it when I watched the movies! Not a detective as such, but that James Bond, contrary to British law often drinks a Vodka Martini and then drives. At least Philip Marlowe eats as well as drinks!

Many of Dashiell Hammett's creations are familiar with the business end of a bottle as much as a gun. I strongly suspect that was due to Hammett himself, but don't know enough about his life to be sure.

I'm not aware of it, but I am sure that smaller arthouse cinemas would do such things now and then. Our nearest, the Phoenix in Leicester did a Valentine's day screening of Casablanca and Close Encounter last year. I went for Casablanca alone.

But I am sure they could be persuaded to do a Python Marathon and it would be sold out on New Year's Eve. A Marx Bros marathon would be good on April Fool's Day, but would have to be in the afternoon or nobody would believe it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: